WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

I hate to break it to you, but No Mercy doesn't really hold up. They need to really revamp the clunky mechanics and collision detection if it's going to pass a modern audience test. I'm saying that as someone who never played it as a kid (I was a Smackdown lad) so I got a fresh look at it after I bought an N64 off eBay. 

As Nick Cave would say, "It ain't no good".

Edited by Accident Prone

I beg to differ, the scripting on the animations and collision detection, to me at least make it feel more like a Pro Wrestling SIM than anything else other than Fire Pro, which to be fair I've only played very briefly so I'm not qualified to compare.

I personally, can't stand the mo cap and animation  interruptions on the Smackdown and 2K games. It feels and looks janky and inauthentic and not very Pro Wrestling to me. 

Although I suppose it's horses for courses but the closest analogy I have is that No Mercy always felt like PES for Wrestling whilst Smackdown/2k feels like FIFA.

No Mercy is slow as fuck. I remember enjoying it when I rented it from Blockbuster back in the day but it's aged very badly now.

Edit: to be fair, I've YouTubed some gameplay and it's not quite as slow as I remembered. Had I played an emulated version on a slow computer? Either way, I preferred the controls on Smackdown.

Edited by Sphinx

• Paid Members

Yeah, it'll have likely been the PAL Vs NTSC situation. I'm terrible at Sonic The Hedgehog now I have to play it at 60fps.

The NJPW content for Fire Pro World is now on Steam as 15 quid DLC. It's miffed me a tad as half the content we were promised during early access just isn't here and now we're being charged extra for helping this game even get on to consoles in the first place. Ah well, I'll wait for a steam sale and grab it then.

• Paid Members

Been playing through the new Tomb Raider. If you've played the last two games you'll know what to expect. Probably the weakest of the 3 storyline wise, it just throws characters in and assumes you'll know who they are and there's no sense that they are anything other than NPCs (I've only recently played through Uncharted: Lost Legacy and the difference in the quality of both the writing and the voice acting is night and day).

Saying that, it's still super fun and they've ramped up the number of crypts and tombs to explore, the lack of them in the previous games seemed to be a massive annoyance for many people, and there's some quite fun set pieces. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, chokeout said:

Been playing through the new Tomb Raider. If you've played the last two games you'll know what to expect. Probably the weakest of the 3 storyline wise, it just throws characters in and assumes you'll know who they are and there's no sense that they are anything other than NPCs (I've only recently played through Uncharted: Lost Legacy and the difference in the quality of both the writing and the voice acting is night and day).

Saying that, it's still super fun and they've ramped up the number of crypts and tombs to explore, the lack of them in the previous games seemed to be a massive annoyance for many people, and there's some quite fun set pieces. 

The murder mystery sidequest in the Hidden City was unexpected and fun.

• Awards Moderator
On 9/22/2018 at 11:34 AM, Onyx2 said:

Talking about great games makes me want to revive the games poll.

I just checked and the first one was in 2009. It seems to make sense to run it next year to mark 10 years since we made GoldenEye #1... time has not been kind to this one. 

• Paid Members

I’m eyeing up the Playstation Classic release due on December 3rd. Comes with 20 in-built games including Final Fantasy 7 and Tekken 3. Has anyone heard anything else about this? I’d love to be able to download some other old classics like PSX Doom, Tony Hawk 2 and the original GTA but presumably you won’t be able to do that?

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I'd say GTA is a definite no go for that ps1 classic. They'll want to be able to sell it to little kids as well. Isn't the chat that Tont Hawk will be an issue due to the music licencing? 

Well you say that but Tekken 3 is quite a violent game, though tame by today's standards. 

What's really getting my blood flowing is when the console is eventually hacked and we may FINALLY have something we can play PS roms on without sacrificing the quality. Still amazes me that in this day and age we still can't properly emulate a PlayStation, so hopefully this changes that.