WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

So I don't get on with COD or any FPS really because the the first person view fucks me up. Makes me feel dizzy and sick. What games are out that are basically first person shooters that have a third person view option? Feel like Ive been missing out on a massive genre of games (since all my mates used to love Golden Eye).

2 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

So I don't get on with COD or any FPS really because the the first person view fucks me up. Makes me feel dizzy and sick. What games are out that are basically first person shooters that have a third person view option? Feel like Ive been missing out on a massive genre of games (since all my mates used to love Golden Eye).

I haven’t played them but Most of the Tom Clancy games will probably float your boat.

Ghost Recon: Wildlands is the latest one I believe.

Cool. I heard some good things about Rainbow 6 Seige but didn't know you could play as the third person. Probably pick that up on the cheap.

I've always wondered why games don't have the third person view option as standard as I'm not the only person i know of who suffers with motion sickness from video games. Always assumed it must be something to do with the in game mechanics or some other technical aspect I have no understanding of.

• Paid Members

I'm the same, Danger. Never ever got along with a first person view in games. I just find the field of view and movement disorientating. I won't touch them unless it's some easy-peasy walking game like Gone Home. Third person is much better and I always feel you connect better with the character when you can see them on screen. 

1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

I never minded the revert. THPS 3 is where it's at for me. That's where I jumped into the series though, so I'm sure it's a factor. I went and played 2 after it and got frustrated at how vert tricks couldn't lead into combos. 

Best levels, too. Tokyo, Skate Island, Suburbia.

It lost its way when it opened up the maps and became more like Viva la Bam, but I enjoyed the THUG games and Project 8 was very underrated. The skateboard sounds in it were delicious. 

I love how any problem in the THPS world could be solved by skating. Wanna cause an earthquake? Grind that thing. Wanna resuscitate that guy? Do a nollie over him. 

I love the reverts, the lack of them is screwing with me like they did with you. I played a bunch of THUG 2 recently and I loved it, for some reason I thought it was shit before but a review from Rad Rat had me curious as he didn't like it originally either.

• Paid Members

I got into the series via THPS2, so it will always have a place in my heart. But the reverts solidified the series for me and I played the absolute hell out of THPS3 and the first THUG entry. There's a bar which has consoles set up every now again and I enjoy playing HORSE with friends and unsuspecting strangers and lighting them up with ease. I'm sure I'm crap in the grand scheme of things though.

The current news (from sources, not official) is that the 25 remaining are finishing contractual obligations for Netflix porting Minecraft Story Mode. Everything else, including the remainder of Walking Dead's final season is cancelled. Very sad news, especially as we now won't get their Stranger Things game and the 2nd season of Wolf Among Us which hadn't previously been announced. I loved TWDs first season but fell off on the second, not because of quality more down to time but that series has a devoted fanbase and this will be a real hard one to take, knowing they won't get the resolution to the story. 

This studio were made from the ashes of Lucasarts, who made some of the most important games of my childhood. It's incredibly sad that once again the story-based adventure game genre seems to be near dead.

• Paid Members
On 9/19/2018 at 11:51 PM, Arch Stanton said:

PS1 games look absolute shite through 2018 eyes. Groundbreaking console in its day, but those early polygon graphics have aged horribly.

I once heard a great analogy for PS1 era graphics - it's the equivalent of when you look back at photographs of people. As a kid, you look all cute and fresh-faced. That's the NES and SNES era. Everything is cartoony and completely holds up. Then you look at photographs of yourself as an adult and you look completely normal. That's today's era. The PS1 era is when you look back at school photographs. Everyone looks weird and not quite normal as they're morphing from child to adult. Some kids have these massive heads, others have spots, you've got a handful of kids who've had ridiculous growth spurts and look like they’re stretched. That's what anything from the mid-90s looks like. Everything looks a bit shit and not quite right, all sharp polygons and blocky textures.

Terrible news about Telltale. Did anyone continue playing The Walking Dead, though? I never jumped back in after Season 1. Just couldn't muster the same enthusiasm.

Edited by Supremo

10 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Terrible news about Telltale. Did anyone continue playing The Walking Dead, though? I never jumped back in after Season 1. Just couldn't muster the same enthusiasm.

I have, the second season was enjoyable, the third was shit and the first episode of this new season was lack lustre.

Some teasers came out for the following episodes earlier this week with some old characters returning from Season 1 which got me a little excited but now that doesn’t matter because they’re not even gonna finish it.

I loved Tales From The Borderlands though, that was probably my favourite TellTale game.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

I really want to give RDR a run through but the only option available to me is the monthly sub service on PS4. Everyone says it doesn't run well but given I'd probably only get the free trial or one month tops is it that bad that itd be a waste of my time?

I'll likely just play it through with a walkthrough so I can get up to date in time for the prequel.

Currently slogging my way through The Witcher 3 GOTY edition. It's pretty. The story has direction and is written better than most games of this kind.

BUT...

Holy shit does everything else suck. Play Gwent they said. It's a poor version of Magic The Gathering and the AI is easy to figure out. It still manages to frustrate when the opponent has one/two cards left and those cards just happen to blow everything you have out of the water.

The movement and combat is beyond laughable, so stiff and the button lag is worse than FIFA.

No matter what choice you make its still the wrong choice and everyone is a full on bag of dicks. I have given up with this and now everyone and thing on the game gets treated like they do to Geralt.

Everyone is a user. I'm about half way through the game and not once has there been a mission/act where it wasn't met with a long winded chase around to serve some wanker who treats you with contempt, expects everything from/of you and you get fuck all in return.

So yeah, fuck the Witcher 3.

Shame about Telltale but if you're going to be a one-trick pony, you need to be the best one-trick pony around and they just wasn't. Like most developers, they got their cash grabbers in place and milked it for all it was worth.

• Paid Members

I loved Telltale's Tales From The Borderlands and quite enjoyed the one series of The Walking Dead which I played. The thing is, they barely qualified as games to me, though. You're essentially just turning the pages of a book when prompted to. You're not even in control of how quickly you progress through it. I found the experience enjoyable enough but can see why the format failed to translate to sales in the gaming market.