WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

PS1 games look absolute shite through 2018 eyes. Groundbreaking console in its day, but those early polygon graphics have aged horribly.

Yeah I agree. I can't play PS1 or even PS2 games because they generally look and feel like shit. However, go back a generation and I can happily play SNES and Mega Drive games. The graphics are tolerable because they're not supposed to be realistic, whereas your started to see consoles try to aim for more realism from the PS1 generation onwards.

• Awards Moderator

Excuse my indulgence for a minute. This is more WHAT PLAY HER but my daughter has become a complete Minecraft convert this year. Blocks away for at least 30 mins a day. She has about a dozen worlds on the PS3 edition. One of them (called "school creative" (?)) has probably 20 hours building in it including an elaborate underground maze, aquarium and working shower cubicle.

Tonight when she gets home from school she boots it up and it says the save is corrupted. I get a streak of ice down my back because my daughter is amazing, but she can't handle stuff like this. I try a few things like renaming the save, deleting and restoring from the cloud save, it's not having it. "Corrupted, delete it" it keeps saying at me. Sure enough Onyxette is in fits if tears at how unfair it is and how everything's ruined. I understand but there's not much more I can say other than to help rebuild it with her. Really difficult as a dad to help with stuff like this. 

After she goes to bed I decide as a treat for her to get the PS4 version digitally and get it all booted up ready. She'll be able to play online with some friends and it is still supported too. As I'm browsing the menu I spot you can import PS3 saves. I wonder... 

I hurriedly switch on the PS3, upload the save to Mojang, flick the PS4 channel over and re-download the save. It downloads... verifies... converts. 

I click X to open it and fuck me, it loads perfectly. It's all there, the maze, the aquarium, the hot tap, everything. 

I can't wait to tell her in the morning. 

Excuse me going on but if any of you have had to fix something for a child you'll know the frenzied joy it brings. 

Been juggling the PES and FIFA demos wondering which one to buy. I'm a complete novice when it comes to footy games, but we had FIFA in the office this year and I got hooked. I'll be playing mostly offline and though PES handles much better to me and the licensing isn't an issue because you can get the option files on PS4, I've heard a lot of complaints about the AI with regard to constant low crosses and the piss poor interface. 

That shouldn't matter, mind, but one does tend to spend a lot of time on the menus in footy games. Add to that the fact that I'm quite comfortable with FIFA's gameplay and don't find it that far below PES and I'm still a little unsure. 

The main knocks against FIFA seem to be the slow rate of improvements, the pitch playing like an ice hokey rink, and the whole EA stink. Considering I don't mind the handling, don't plan on doing purchases and this being my first investment in one of these games, none of those complaints really apply to me. 

The PES gameplay is so nice though. 

It seems like both series are treading water but - again - I havn't been privy to most of this because I've just gotten on the ride.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

PS1 games look absolute shite through 2018 eyes. Groundbreaking console in its day, but those early polygon graphics have aged horribly.

Depends on the games I suppose. 16/8 bit games are timeless (the good ones at least), but games from the PS1 era and will age awfully unless they are genuinely good games.

Tekken 3, for example, still holds up as it's almost like a cartoon style and they nailed the beat'em-up mechanics perfectly. Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, Spryo, Tombi, GTA, Wipeout etc all still play great now and look decent to boot. It's your Tomb Raiders and Resident Evils and Medal Of Honors which will play and look horrible.

Yeah I played MGS1 on a big telly last year and it was basically fine. It was silly that Snake's mouth didn't open in 1998, and it's silly now. The style and tone of the game is still perfect. 

• Paid Members

I don't really have any Xbox/PC gamer friends - and I don't even think Red Dead 2 will be on PC on release, anyway - so I really hope the bajillions of monies Rockstar made from GTA: Online hasn't made them put more effort into online than the actual single player.

• Paid Members

Have been itching to play it for weeks now but my TV has been broken for well over a year now and because I watch most of my stuff on Netflix/WWE Network I haven't bothered to get it fixed or bought a new one. It's one of many classic console games I've been wanting to dust off the shelf. They used to do it on iPhone but sadly it's not on the store anymore. No reverts but lest we forget the first edition which didn't even have manuals! 

All the THPS2 levels are top drawer but Marseille was always my favourite - on a good run you could run up an insane amount of points by doing a loop around the course. IIRC start with a wallride and grind on top off the roof of the first building, land/grind up the dumpster, manual over to a curved rail, then hop onto another, then a bench, then the ledge near the secret area, manual to the spot with the small staircase, another rail, then another, then manual and repeat the circuit. What fun! 

12 hours ago, Merzbow said:

It's Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2's birthday today, I've just 100%'ed the first two levels. It takes a little while to get used to the more grounded physics after playing the later games where you pretty much fly all over the place, and 2 has NO REVERTS!

I never minded the revert. THPS 3 is where it's at for me. That's where I jumped into the series though, so I'm sure it's a factor. I went and played 2 after it and got frustrated at how vert tricks couldn't lead into combos. 

Best levels, too. Tokyo, Skate Island, Suburbia.

It lost its way when it opened up the maps and became more like Viva la Bam, but I enjoyed the THUG games and Project 8 was very underrated. The skateboard sounds in it were delicious. 

I love how any problem in the THPS world could be solved by skating. Wanna cause an earthquake? Grind that thing. Wanna resuscitate that guy? Do a nollie over him. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK