Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

In the final ever episode of Byker Grove, the characters discover that they don't exist and are the creation of unseen characters known as 'The Writers' who plan to conclude the show by demolishing the Grove. However numerous present and former Grove members buy enough time for the characters to re-write the ending so that the club will remain open forever.

Wow, that is so fucking shit.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Today I learned Katie Holmes (❤️) has played Jackie O/Kennedy twice in two completely different things, playing the same real person twice has got to be pretty rare. 

Also I had no idea the gay black cop Julian from the best TV series ever The Shield murdered his wife a few years ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/20/the-shield-michael-jace-arresed-wifes-shooting-death

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

TIL that UK Motorway numbers aren't sequential. The only good thing I have ever found on LinkedIn. 

Ever wondered why the first motorway in the UK was the M6? or why indeed any of the numbers are what they are? There is a reason.

Road classification work started in 1913 which ultimately split the country into 9 zones. 1-6 that fan out clockwise from London and a further 3 that fan out 7-9 from Edinburgh. The M1 runs right up the middle of the country on the edge of zone 1.

The next motorway clockwise around is the M11 - make sense? Smaller trunk roads (A&B) also follow this convention, which means you know where in the country you are by the road number. The reason the first motorway build was the M6, is because it runs along the edge of zone 6.

No alt text provided for this image

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members
6 hours ago, scratchdj said:

The PIN Sentry machines that the banks give you for online banking are universal. So you can use a Lloyd’s one for Barclays, NatWest etc and vice versa.

Handy if you use two banks and have lost one of your doofers.

TIL that those doofers you use to log into an online bank are called a PIN Sentry.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

TIL that those doofers you use to log into an online bank are called a PIN Sentry.

TIL that those machines are called "doofers" as well as "PIN Sentry". My bank just called them "card machines".

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, wordsfromlee said:

TIL that people need card machines to access their online banking. 

Some banks do it. I have a type of business account with Nat West for the football team. Despite not having a card on the account, they helpfully sent me a card machine to access the online banking.

Fortunately, the app came along and did away with the need for it.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Some banks do it. I have a type of business account with Nat West for the football team. Despite not having a card on the account, they helpfully sent me a card machine to access the online banking.

Fortunately, the app came along and did away with the need for it.

I have a NatWest business account, and the fuckers made it seem like it was optional when they sent me the paperwork. Come the first payment I had to make over £300, and it turned out I actually needed one. Had to call them up to order, then wait another ten days. Thankfully the client was quite understanding.