Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, chokeout said:

I love random connections like that. John Mahoney off of Frasier originally being from Blackpool and Busta Rhymes name checking Morecambe and Preston in raps, because he used to live there are the best ones. 

Kelsey Grammer himself is married to Kayte Walsh, daughter of Bristol City legend/ex-coach Alan Walsh; around a year in however he went North of the river and took them with him.

The excitement is palpable.

kelsey.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 8/2/2019 at 12:25 PM, Carbomb said:

The most famous one I remember was that Schwarzenegger used to live in Romford or Chelmsford - somewhere in that weird disputed London/Essex Militarised Zone.

Forest Gate for a while in the 70’s which is near Stratford 

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Forest Gate for a while in the 70’s which is near Stratford 

Forest Gate's just as confusing. Stratford's definitely in London, but FG, while technically London, feels like the "border" almost.

• Paid Members
Just now, Carbomb said:

Forest Gate's just as confusing. Stratford's definitely in London, but FG, while technically London, feels like the "border" almost.

Yeah  used to live in Ilford. So the road goes through East Ham, Manor Park and Forest Gate before hitting Stratford. All are London boroughs, most locals would refer to them as Essex in the past and now they are in some kind of inbetween 

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I knew that the "schiavona" was a type of sword, so I was wondering if Tony Schiavone's name had any relation to it.

TIL that the word "Schiavone" in Italian means "Slovene", a bit like how some Slavonic people have the surname "Nemec" ("German") or some Irish are called "Walsh" ("Welshman"). Turns out that Slovenia was a significant part of what was the Venetian Republic, and a number of Slovenes had prominent positions within the Republic.

So there you have it - Tony Schiavone is an Italian American via way of Venice, with Slavonic origins in Slovenia.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I knew that the "schiavona" was a type of sword, so I was wondering if Tony Schiavone's name had any relation to it.

TIL that the word "Schiavone" in Italian means "Slovene", a bit like how some Slavonic people have the surname "Nemec" ("German") or some Irish are called "Walsh" ("Welshman"). Turns out that Slovenia was a significant part of what was the Venetian Republic, and a number of Slovenes had prominent positions within the Republic.

So there you have it - Tony Schiavone is an Italian American via way of Venice, with Slavonic origins in Slovenia.

I love finding out shit like this. My mind is blown by that Walsh revelation.

8 hours ago, Carbomb said:

All delivered with complete confidence, but I'm afraid that all sounds like folk etymology. TIL you'll believe anything you read when it comes to onomastics.

The Italian for Slovene is sloveno, unsurprisingly. 'Schiavone' combines the actual Italian word schiavo ("slave") with the augmentative suffix -one. So, it turns out our Tony is just a big fella who does what he's told for no reward. Which is a pretty apt description of being a play-by-play commentator for AEW when you think about it.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Fog Dude said:

All delivered with complete confidence, but I'm afraid that all sounds like folk etymology. TIL you'll believe anything you read when it comes to onomastics.

The Italian for Slovene is sloveno, unsurprisingly. 'Schiavone' combines the actual Italian word schiavo ("slave") with the augmentative suffix -one. So, it turns out our Tony is just a big fella who does what he's told for no reward. Which is a pretty apt description of being a play-by-play commentator for AEW when you think about it.

The etymology is apparently Old Venetian, not Roman Italian: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schiavone

Just now, Carbomb said:

The etymology is apparently Old Venetian, not Roman Italian: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schiavone

Ah, well you should've said! Modern Italian being based on Tuscan, of course.

Next you'll be telling me people on here don't know what a loaded term 'dialect' can be in Italy... 

• Paid Members

Yeh, I should've double-checked the dialect quoted - just saw the bit saying "Italian ethnonym". Didn't know standard Italian was Tuscan - honestly thought it was from Rome, given the political prominence. But now you mention it, it makes sense - Florence was probably way more influential culturally.

Italian dialects are fascinating. The Neapolitan in particular - The Sopranos gives some particularly great examples of the gap between "standard" and Naples dialects.

• 2 weeks later...