Sign in to follow this  
SpursRiot2012

Today I learned...

On 12/21/2019 at 10:55 PM, Steve Justice said:

TIL that Daffney of WCW fame and Nicola Appleton from All Saints shared screen time as extras in 1985 Christmas film Santa Claus The Movie. 

They were both ballerinas. 

Which is exactly the film that the wife has just started now. I’m going to have to watch it now, aren’t I? 

40 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

The Thong Song was originally offered to Michael Jackson before Sisqo but he turned it down.

My favourite Sisqo fact is that he did a sitcom pilot with Bob Newhart. I don't think it's ever surfaced though. 

TIL Santa Claus in Santa Claus The Movie is The Big Lebowski. I learnt this just now as I took my first sip from a White Russian which has spooked me somewhat.

Edited by scratchdj

TIL Hi De Hi is a period piece set in 1959 -1960. I genuinely thought this was a portrait of early 80s Britain. As Simon price pointed out on Twitter, it makes no fucking sense for Paul Shane's character to be an ageing Teddy Boy. 

Edited by gmoney

23 minutes ago, gmoney said:

TIL Hi De Hi is a period piece set in 1959 -1960. I genuinely thought this was a portrait of early 80s Britain. As Simon price pointed out on Twitter, it makes no fucking sense for Paul Shane's character to be an ageing Teddy Boy. 

On the back of this, I've just learned that Shane didn't sing the theme tune, Postman Pat did.  BABY BAAABBBYYYY!

2 hours ago, gmoney said:

It wasn't until I rewatched Hi-De-Hi as an adult that I realised that it was set in the 1950s and not in the current early 1980s.

I put this down to holidaying at various Butlins and Pontins camps around the time that Hi-De-Hi was first shown, and that's how the camps looked. They were all pre-modernisation so still had the two storey blocks of chalets built in the 30s, the "formal" Redcoat/Bluecoat uniform, the ballroom, the dining halls, the timeless/classic/archaic entertainment (including a knobbly knees contest at Hemsby).

On top of that, at Butlins (Bognor and Minehead) guests and redcoats were saying Hi-De-Hi to each other.

TIL that the infamous "Debbie Does Dallas" never had its copyright formally registered in the United States, and was recognised as such in a federal US court decision in 1987. As a result, the film is available in the public domain, and can even be watched or downloaded via a link of the film's Wikipedia page.

17 minutes ago, PJ Power said:

TIL that the infamous "Debbie Does Dallas" never had its copyright formally registered in the United States, and was recognised as such in a federal US court decision in 1987. As a result, the film is available in the public domain, and can even be watched or downloaded via a link of the film's Wikipedia page.

This is similar to what happened with Night of the Living Dead although that was more a cock-up over changing the titles on the original print.

Probs more common knowledge than I realised, but TIL that when Harold swept up on the beach as ‘Ted’ in Neighbours, the name is a reference to his character Ted from Cell Block H.

No idea how I never linked the two before now.

Fun fact: I live in the town where Hi-De-Hi was filmed. It was a real holiday camp that shut down years ago and has since been flattened and turned into houses. After is closed, it was a common place for kids my age to get into via gaps in the hedge.

The Webb Twins are (I think) my 4th cousins and we had our wedding reception in the hotel the crew always stayed in. They had loads of photos on the wall, but it was closed and flattened last year.

TIL that Nikolai Volkoff‘s brother played in the 1974 World Cup, the 1976 European Championship, won the UEFA Cup in 1983 and managed Tony Cascarino and Fabian Barthez at Marseille in 1995. 

2 hours ago, MrK said:

TIL that Nikolai Volkoff‘s brother played in the 1974 World Cup, the 1976 European Championship, won the UEFA Cup in 1983 and managed Tony Cascarino and Fabian Barthez at Marseille in 1995. 

That’s one of the best TIL’s I’ve ever learned.

TIL, well, at the weekend,  that Toto, or at least several members of Toto, were the backing band on Michael Jackson's Thriller.

On 1/27/2020 at 10:44 AM, jazzygeofferz said:

TIL, well, at the weekend,  that Toto, or at least several members of Toto, were the backing band on Michael Jackson's Thriller.

Similarly, the backing band on Madonna's Like A Virgin album was basically Chic.

Today I learned that Bob Dylan got so fed up with his fans being fanatical, that he deliberately released a crap album (and a double album at that) in the hope they'd go bother someone else.