Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

The distance between the earth and the sun is about 150 million miles. The distance between Jupiter and the sun is about 750 million miles.

Baffled me learning this. No matter how many images of the solar system I've seen, if you asked me to draw it to scale I'd have always put earth closer to all the other planets than the sun. 

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, Undefeated Steak said:

The distance between the earth and the sun is about 150 million miles. The distance between Jupiter and the sun is about 750 million miles.

Baffled me learning this. No matter how many images of the solar system I've seen, if you asked me to draw it to scale I'd have always put earth closer to all the other planets than the sun. 

One I learned recently that I absolutely refused to accept until I'd checked it with about 6 different sources, is that the distance between the Earth and the Moon is big enough to fit all the other planets in.

If you asked me to draw the solar system to (what I thought I was) scale, you could get Pluto or Mercury between the Earth and the Moon, but not any bigger planet, and certainly not all of them.

This might be more mind blowing than today I learned, but TIL.

Boiling water doesn't get hotter the more bubbles there are or how much steam it's giving off. It stays the same temperature. No matter how high you turn the flame on your cooker up, boiling water stays the same temperature.

https://sciencenotes.org/does-boiling-water-get-hotter/ 

20 minutes ago, scratchdj said:

Not something I learned today, but something I told my nephew and he couldn’t quite comprehend it so here goes.

Stegosaurus and Triceratops are two of the most commonly depicted dinosaurs. However, they never met. In fact, the gap between them is around 87 million years. That’s 19 million years more than the gap between Triceratops and now.

If you look at any children’s book, jigsaw or poster, Stegosaurus and Triceratops are often seen happily sharing the same space. Maybe that’s why people generally assume all dinosaurs were alive at the same point, and that they all died 68 million years ago.

Also there is a current hypothesis that the Triceratops as we all imagine may not actually have existed at all and was instead a juvenile of another species.

23 hours ago, Undefeated Steak said:

Kilometres! Science doesn't do imperial, fortunately.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Dazzer said:

Also there is a current hypothesis that the Triceratops as we all imagine may not actually have existed at all and was instead a juvenile of another species.

I'm largely convinced that we've got dinosaurs almost completely wrong.

I know science is way beyond "just look at the skeleton and imagine it with skin", but if you look at the skulls of mice or elephants, you would never in a million years extrapolate from them to figure out what the whole animal looks like. So much fleshy and fatty stuff is nigh-on impossible to figure out from the skeleton alone, and I wonder how many dinosaurs we've always depicted as having plates along their back like a Stegosaurus, or big tall spines, actually had a big fuck-off hump or something instead. 

One of my pet hates is bullshit pseudohistory - creationism, Ancient Aliens, all that jazz - and something you see a lot is depictions of humans alongside dinosaurs, or arguments that a bit of ancient art represents a dinosaur. But they just coincidentally happen to look like how we imagined dinosaurs in the 20th Century, before we started figuring out feathers and whatnot. 

• Paid Members

That Triceratops/Torosaurus theory is like the whole Brontosaurus/Apatosaurus thing isn't it? Look at what we think dinosaurs looked like nowadays compared to the Megalosaurus statues at Crystal Palace.

There are some great pictures of feathered T-Rex out there on the internet.

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

For what it's worth, the last I remember reading about it, the Torosaurus theory had been more or less rejected - there isn't enough geographical crossover between the two species, there are a few key differences in morphology, and genuine Torosaurus juvenile specimens have been discovered that are distinct from Triceratops. Though I think Torosaurus is one of those that's only really known from a few bones, so it might all be up in the air still.

• Paid Members

One of the few bits I really liked in Jurassic World, actually, was where the scientist defends them creating a new dinosaur by saying, "none of them are real dinosaurs, they never looked like this". It's a good get-out clause to keep using the pop culture idea of dinosaurs, while acknowledging it's not correct.