Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Awards Moderator

I can recommend Steve Brusatte's book The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs if you're interested in such things. Accessibly written and as well as going over the Mesozoic and surrounding eras, there's plenty of information on the latest developments in paleontology and the most current sciences being used to study dinosaurs. Well worth a read - made me remember how desperately I wanted to be a paleontologist when I was little.

21 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Well worth a read - made me remember how desperately I wanted to be a paleontologist when I was little.

My 6 year old has ambitions to be a palaeontologist and is OBSESSED with the Jurassic Park/World films.

Shes even started asking what she needs to study at university to become one! Dr Bacon has a good ring to it.

• Awards Moderator
28 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

My 6 year old has ambitions to be a palaeontologist and is OBSESSED with the Jurassic Park/World films.

Shes even started asking what she needs to study at university to become one! Dr Bacon has a good ring to it.

The book's also got sections interspersed where Brusatte talks about his own route in - from volunteering at his local museum as a teenager through various degrees onto fieldwork. He works at the Department of Geosciences at Edinburgh University at the moment - and is pretty good at replying to people on Twitter if you wanted some (very!) early tips for her.

My downfall came when I realised I was bad at science generally and didn't have a clue when it came to geology. I had to give up the dream. Don't let her do the same!

20 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

They’re made from metal. The house over the road are having renovations done and have one outside. I looked a right twat trying to take a bite from it. 

As an aside, I can’t not look in a skip. And I definitely can’t not walk away without muttering to myself “Can’t believe they’re getting rid of that”

Like the men at the dump.

8 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

As an aside, I can’t not look in a skip. And I definitely can’t not walk away without muttering to myself “Can’t believe they’re getting rid of that”

Like the men at the dump.

I work for a waste management company and you get some right finds in the yard. Only just this week did one of the lads gave me a samurai sword that was found in a scrap car. That's the daughter's Christmas present sorted for this year then!