Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, chokeout said:

Living in England and being Welsh I can confirm that when people come back from their holiday in Wales one of the first things they usually mention is "...and we walked into a shop and they started talking about me in Welsh"

My biggest problem with that is that in the main Welsh tourist areas, the people who speak Welsh do so as its their mother tongue. I’d feel strange speaking to my family and most friends in English for example.

The assumption that we’d be using our second language to speak to each other and only switch to Welsh in order to be awkward, is as mind boggling as accusing Dutch people of speaking English in private and only using Dutch in the presence of foreigners.

I still don’t know how these could possibly claim to know what language people were speaking before they walked into a pub or shop. Its paranoia of the highest order. 

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

TIL that the Teletubbies is 100% British. I’ve always been under the impression it was Scandinavian. 

Yeah it's another Anne Wood/Ragdoll production isn't it- Rosie & Jim, Tots TV etc. Why did you think it was Scandinavian?

• Paid Members
Just now, PunkStep said:

Yeah it's another Anne Wood/Ragdoll production isn't it- Rosie & Jim, Tots TV etc. Why did you think it was Scandinavian?

Because I believed my dad when he said, “Those bloody Scandinavians knock out some strange shite”.

I was a youngster at the time and have never thought to doubt it. As an adult I’ve realised that my dads general knowledge learned after the age of 20 generally stems  from whatever bollocks Pete the fisherman or Phil Brick from the club spout.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

TIL a very nifty piece of film trivia.

When Sidney Lumet passed away, @Devon Malcolm recommended a number of his films, like The Offence, The Deadly Affair, The Anderson Tapes (I'd already seen Serpico, and had heard of Dog Day Afternoon, so started with that). All tremendous, The Offence and The Anderson Tapes featuring some of the best work I've ever seen Sean Connery do.

What I learned today was something about The Anderson Tapes that completely passed me by on first viewing: it was, simultaneously, Christopher Walken's first ever film, and the last film ever by Margaret Hamilton, who played the Wicked Witch of the West in The Wizard of Oz.

• Paid Members
Just now, Grecian said:

A few days ago, I learned, courtesy of the QI Twitter feed:

You can cook a chicken by slapping it 49,000 times.

I appreciate there may be follow-up questions, but that's all I know, and I think it's awesome.

I think it might be related, but remember reading somewhere recently (I think Quora) where someone had asked: how hard do they have to slap a chicken to cook it.

1 minute ago, Your Fight Site said:

I think it might be related, but remember reading somewhere recently (I think Quora) where someone had asked: how hard do they have to slap a chicken to cook it.

I doff my cap to whomever asked the question and even more so to whomever figured out the answer!