Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

TIL that Freddy Marks (Rod, Jane & Freddy) wrote a solo album which was focused on hip hop educational songs for under 5’s,

He also writes music with Dean Gaffney.

I didn’t realise he was romantically involved with Jane either. Started seeing each other in 85 and got married only 2 years ago.

• Paid Members

That's basically true, yeah - they do token lessons on Jerriais in primary schools now, though it's not really more than people knowing a smattering of phrases, rather than many people speaking it as a full-blown language. You still bump into the odd old-timer in the pub who speaks it as more or less their first language, though - part of the reason it died out is that it was seen as a peasant language, and it only really survived through old farming families using it.

One of the most fascinating aspects of the regional languages is that, apparently, there were distinct differences between the dialect of Sercquias spoken on the main island, and of Sercquias spoken on Little Sark, which is technically a smaller island connected by a land bridge, but still basically part of Sark itself. I'm not sure how many people in Sark still speak it, but I imagine it's more a point of pride than it still being in practical use.

One of the things that kept Jerrias alive, and would presumably be true of the other islands' languages too, is that amongst the working class it was still widely spoken during the Second World War. So when the islands were occupied, the few resistance groups/general dissenters were able to organise because the Germans brought translators/interpreters who could speak German, English and French, but the people just communicated in Jerrias and no one could understand them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Today I learned that the guy that played (all time great baddie) Arnold Toht in Raiders of the Lost Ark also played the baby eating Bishop of Bath and Wells in Blackadder II.

I've just YouTubed it, and I would never have recognised them as being the same actor.

• Paid Members
On 12/20/2018 at 9:01 AM, BomberPat said:

One of the things that kept Jerrias alive, and would presumably be true of the other islands' languages too, is that amongst the working class it was still widely spoken during the Second World War. So when the islands were occupied, the few resistance groups/general dissenters were able to organise because the Germans brought translators/interpreters who could speak German, English and French, but the people just communicated in Jerrias and no one could understand them.

Sounds like the reason we speak Welsh which is, of course, so we can switch over when strangers walk into the local pub.

(Or that's what I read on the Daily Mail comments section anyway).

8 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

It’s not “you’ve got another thing coming”, it’s “you’ve got another think coming”....

what the actual fuck?

Source? I feel like I've seen countless "another thing coming" examples in books and on TV, whereas "another think coming" is usually in and around a paragraph containing "would of". 

Edited by hallicks

• Paid Members

How interesting.

There’s a Guardian article here about the phrase, how it’s used and it’s origins.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/media/mind-your-language/2014/nov/18/mind-your-language-another-think

I agree with the article that ‘think’ makes more sense given the context it’s usually associated with. Then again there’s a plethora of phrases & sayings that are arguably nonsensical, but we’re familiar with them and they’re completely acceptable.

I’ll continue to say ‘thing’.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Sounds like the reason we speak Welsh which is, of course, so we can switch over when strangers walk into the local pub.

Ah yes, the old "well, I can't understand what they're talking about!" complaint of the "not a racist, but..." brigade. How about they're not talking to you, so what does it matter, you nosy beggar?

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Living in England and being Welsh I can confirm that when people come back from their holiday in Wales one of the first things they usually mention is "...and we walked into a shop and they started talking about me in Welsh"

If our one legacy as a people is that we instill such paranoia into English tourists when they are buying their milk, then I'm 100% OK with that.