Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

Yoghurt and Pidgeon. Even typing those out now part of me is saying they're correct.

Isn't Yoghurt and Yogurt similar to Centre/Center, Colour/Color, Labour/Labor in that one is just an Americanised/Americanized way of spelling it?

Pidgeon?? yeah you've been spelling it wrong :)   

• Paid Members

"Yoghurt" is closer to the original pronunciation, though - it's Turkish. A "gh" in Turkish is an unclosed "g", i.e. you don't allow your tongue to close against your palate like you normally do with a regular "g", you just breathe through it. Obviously, this isn't a phoneme we have in most European languages, so the nearest we come is either treat it like a normal "g", or just behave like it doesn't exist, or at least use it as a mid-point between vowels, hence why the French pronounce it "yaourt", and why we pronounce the names "ErdoÄŸan" and "GundoÄŸan" as "Erdowan" and "Gundowan".

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Tommy! said:

I can understand how the Peter Kay one works, but isn't the point of going to see a good comedian to hear new material written by someone good? 

I just looked up the Peter Kay one on YouTube. He doesn't even do old Peter Kay material. He's just a stand up who comes out to Amarillo then does his own stuff.*

*he probably mentions Garlic Bread or the 80s at some point. I had to turn the video off. 

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

You go expecting "the hits". You get a taste of the experience, at a fraction of the price.

2 hours ago, Tommy! said:

isn't the point of going to see a good comedian to hear new material written by someone good? 

The fact the even the Peter Kay tribute finds Kay's material a bit weak raises a smile though.