Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
On 25/02/2018 at 7:11 AM, scratchdj said:

Peter Serafinowicz’s finest work will always be Look Around You. Series 1 was some of funniest and original comedy in a long time.

My favourite bit of Look Around You. Perfectly capturing the absolute cobblers that we had to watch at primary school in the late 70s/early 80s

• Moderators

It really fucking isn't. It's Meicrodon. Popty Ping is Pinging Oven. The "Poptyping" types are those who say "Sosej" as opposed to "Selsig". Cretins essentially. Mainly from South East Wales.

Edited by PowerButchi

7 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Also, somebody verified for me that the Welsh word for microwave is indeed popty-ping.

As Butch says, you ought to know better than to trust whoever told you that when there are so many more reliable sources within easy reach these days. Fortunately by the time the sillier word had been popularised by that creepy guy on The Apprentice, I'd already long since learnt the proper term from watching Pam Fi Duw? growing up. That came in handy when I ended up studying in North West Wales. 

I'd add people who are content with – or even insist on – saying "pysgod wybli-wobli" instead of slefren fôr to the above rant as well.

• Paid Members

Thanks for that, guys. I'd heard "meicrodon" (well, I remembered it being "meicro-" something) before, and I didn't believe whomever it was who initially told me "popty-ping", but then I was speaking to two lads at the weekend, who must have been on the wind-up then. They said yes, people do say "meicrodon", but that most people say "popty-ping". 

I knew I should've suspected something when they said they were from Maesteg. Should only ever listen to gogs when it comes to Welsh language.

• Paid Members

That children as young as 10 have been marrying over the last couple of years.. in America.

Apparently there’s loopholes which allow children to be married off including if ‘parental consent’ is given and if that child is expecting a child of their own.

3 girls, each being 10 years old, married adult men aged 24, 25, & 31 in 2001.

What in the actual fuck?? Surely this is nonce sense of the highest degree.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/200000-children-married-us-15-years-child-marriage-child-brides-new-jersey-chris-christie-a7830266.html

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

I know he is immortal and everything, but TIL Keanu Reeves is the same age as Nigel Farage.  I am also 8 years older that Paul Golding of Britain First.  Proof that being a racist bell is bad for the ageing process, whereas being like me and Keanu keeps you young looking.

• Paid Members

Today I learned that a kilt pin only goes through the front layer of fabric. It's for adding a bit of weight to the bottom corner, not for pinning the two layers together.

I also learned why you don't put a pure new wool kilt in the washing machine.

2 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

The only way to know the real age of Keanu Reeves is to cut him in half and count the rings. 

You mean the zeroes and ones.