Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

TIL that the Studio Ghibli film, Castle In The Sky, which was based on the flying island of Laputa in Gulliver's Travels, was partly inspired aesthetically by Welsh mining towns because of the miners' strike in the 80s. Read this on Wiki:

Some of the architecture seen in the film was inspired by a Welsh mining town. Miyazaki first visited Wales in 1984 and witnessed the miners' strike firsthand. He returned to the country in 1986 to prepare for Laputa, which he said reflected his Welsh experience: "I was in Wales just after the miners' strike. I really admired the way the miners' unions fought to the very end for their jobs and communities, and I wanted to reflect the strength of those communities in my film." Miyazaki told The Guardian, "I admired those men, I admired the way they battled to save their way of life, just as the coal miners in Japan did. Many people of my generation see the miners as a symbol; a dying breed of fighting men. Now they are gone."

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members
On 03/02/2018 at 5:45 PM, WyattSheepMask said:

Junior Vaivai, a recent addition to the squad at Hull Kingston Rovers, is a cousin of Dwayne Johnson

r0_96_960_960_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Heard Rocky is planning to get down Caravan Park for a game? A pint in Red Hell and a kebab and knife fight in Sids have swung it.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Call me Bellend said:

Apparently Marlon Brando and Richard Pryor were lovers. Marlon Brando and Richard Pryor! unfuckingbelievable.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/film/2018/feb/08/richard-pryor-and-marlon-brando-were-lovers-pryors-widow-confirms

I like how a mailbox comes before any person. 

Today I learned that 'dilemma' has never been spelt with an 'n'. I always thought it was dilemna. Apparently I'm not the only person who's thought this though. There were loads of us*. What was that thing someone posted on here where loads of people mistakenly think something is correct? (Mandela Effect) 

* website http://dilemna.info/

Edited by Undefeated Steak

• Paid Members

Add me to this. Only spellcheck on Microsoft Word eventually forced me to accept that it has no N.

Equipment is another one for me. For years I forcably taught myself to think "Equiptment" because I was that convinced I was spelling it incorrectly. 

28 minutes ago, Undefeated Steak said:

Today I learned that 'dilemma' has never been spelt with an 'n'. I always thought it was dilemna. Apparently I'm not the only person who's thought this though. There were loads of us*. What was that thing someone posted on here where loads of people mistakenly think something is correct? (Mandela Effect) 

* website http://dilemna.info/

Next you'll be saying you didn't know about the R in Streak.