Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Tommy! said:

Quite

No, I read Sayers was owned by Warburtons and Sayers owned poundbakery. Didn't know that had changed. You corrected that and I made a light hearted omission of my error. I wasn't expecting a fucking audit on the history of the highstreet bakery businesses of Britain about it.

Greggs was founded by Sir John Gregg in 1896 when he found sticking a sausage in some uncooked pastry made a tasty snack.

• Paid Members
On 11/14/2021 at 8:45 PM, air_raid said:

I’m really confused. When a couple of Sayers I pass on my travels became Pound Bakery I assumed it had been taken over. Boy did I hit the head on the nail.

Presumably a Gregg's opened in their vicinity and they're going into competition mode. I think that's how it used to work. If there's a Gregg's nearby they're Pound Bakery. If not they're a Sayer's. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Today I Learned the voiceover bit in the video for Slave To The Rhythm by Grace Jones was done by Ian McShane. 

Ian McShane was "doing her" at the time too. He got his fair share in the 80s. He also went out with Sylvia Kristel. All behind his wifes back, I believe.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Presumably a Gregg's opened in their vicinity and they're going into competition mode. I think that's how it used to work. If there's a Gregg's nearby they're Pound Bakery. If not they're a Sayer's. 

The main one that came to mind was the one in Sale, where upon my last visit I was delighted to see, still has its Greenhalgh’s.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

In something that’ll probably only appeal to myself and @Carbomb, I enjoyed reading through this list. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions

Was probably compiled by @Fog Dude

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

In something that’ll probably only appeal to myself and @Carbomb, I enjoyed reading through this list. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions

My favourites in these are the ones that bust misconceptions I'd never heard of. "Steak tartare was not invented by Mongol warriors who tenderized meat under their saddles." Right, cheers for that. Nothing on the list about sideways fannies, so can only assume that's true.