Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

that's fairly common for old folk tunes and popular music - before recorded music, people would sell lyric sheets that would just say "to the tune of...", so that people would be able to sing along with new lyrics to a tune they already knew. 

I mean, it still happens now with reggae riddims (obviously not with a lyrics sheet, but a similar concept).

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

Twinkle twinkle little star and the alphabet song are the same tune.

They have the same tune as the one used for Mozart's "Twelve Variations on Ah Vous Dirai-je, Maman".

Monday I learned, that if you flash your headlights* at those temporary traffic lights, they will change from red to green. Something to do with emergency vehicles? Anyway, mind was blown. It was like I'd learned a Stonecutters trick or something.

*It was at night, there was no one the other side and we were late for football, not condoning it when there's vehicles the other side obviously. 

4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Monday I learned, that if you flash your headlights* at those temporary traffic lights, they will change from red to green. Something to do with emergency vehicles? Anyway, mind was blown. It was like I'd learned a Stonecutters trick or something.

*It was at night, there was no one the other side and we were late for football, not condoning it when there's vehicles the other side obviously. 

Nah. It was coincidence. The emergency vehicles lights flash at a much faster speed than cars and that’s what sets them off. Not calling you a wanker but unless your wrist is super supple you ain’t doing it. 

33 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Nah. It was coincidence. The emergency vehicles lights flash at a much faster speed than cars and that’s what sets them off. Not calling you a wanker but unless your wrist is super supple you ain’t doing it. 

Are you sure? As it had literally (Jamie) changed to red, and as soon as it was flashed it went to green. I'll take your word for it though, as Google seems inconclusive. Having said that, the two lads I was with did convince me enough.

Oh, and I am undoubtedly a wanker, but I wasnt driving. I fucking hate driving.

I think the modern ones have sensors so they know if there is a car waiting on red.  If it’s clear, there is no point staying red so they change. Bear in mind for those lights, there is a bit where they are both on red to allow the last of the green side make it through. If they all just starting going green because someone flashed their lights, they’d be crashes  

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Are you sure? As it had literally (Jamie) changed to red, and as soon as it was flashed it went to green. I'll take your word for it though, as Google seems inconclusive. Having said that, the two lads I was with did convince me enough.

Oh, and I am undoubtedly a wanker, but I wasnt driving. I fucking hate driving.

Some traffic lights are set so that they will change to red when a car is approaching and then change to green almost immediately afterwards.

The idea is to slow traffic down instead of stopping it completely.

21 hours ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Some traffic lights are set so that they will change to red when a car is approaching and then change to green almost immediately afterwards.

The idea is to slow traffic down instead of stopping it completely.

There is one of those near my house which I find infuriating even though I understand the reason. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...