Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

TIL the voice sampled in the 1999 garage tune I Don't Smoke was Marcus Brigstocke. It was taken from a presumably shit Channel 4 sketch show called Barking, which featured David Walliams, Peter Kay and Catherine Tate. Yikes, imagine the three of them together. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

TIL that another level of Hell exists

It's not something I learned today but it's a bit of hell based trivia I like; according to the Inferno of the devine comedy the centre of hell is a freezing cold plain of ice where people are left in isolation and not a palace of fire and devilish torment. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

That this film exists:-

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0269330/

And I've spent the last 15 minutes laughing at the description.

The first review has piqued my interest.

"A truly brilliant visual presentation of the embodiment of good vs evil in pakistany society. Also the class struggle is very well portrayed by the both Hitlar and the sultan.
Also there is a car drifting in 5 planes of existence across 5 dimensions"

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

The first review has piqued my interest.

"A truly brilliant visual presentation of the embodiment of good vs evil in pakistany society. Also the class struggle is very well portrayed by the both Hitlar and the sultan.
Also there is a car drifting in 5 planes of existence across 5 dimensions"

If you're REALLY interested....

• Paid Members

There's a podcast on BBC sounds at the moment which allegedly features Vanilla Ice talking about Shergar? 

8 hours ago, gmoney said:

The lyric is "Creole Lady Marmalade" not "Real Lady Marmalade" 

In a vaguely related point it was only while watching A Very Murray Christmas (again) a few weeks ago that I realised the horse Shane McGowan won a bet on in Fairytale of New York was odds of 18/1 rather than "came in at 10 to 1"

• Paid Members

Yesterday I learned that the Philomena Cunk character existed before Cunk On Britain and all the rest of her stuff is on YouTube. It was a great day.

TIL…

On 1/3/2022 at 6:42 PM, Harry Wiseau said:

In a vaguely related point it was only while watching A Very Murray Christmas (again) a few weeks ago that I realised the horse Shane McGowan won a bet on in Fairytale of New York was odds of 18/1 rather than "came in at 10 to 1"

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Yesterday I learned that the Philomena Cunk character existed before Cunk On Britain and all the rest of her stuff is on YouTube. It was a great day.

yeah, she's a Charlie Brooker creation from whatever he was calling his post-Screenwipe/Newswipe stuff by that point.

The original plan was for her to be a really posh public school journalist who was clearly thick as pigshit, and Brooker didn't want Diane Morgan using her own accent as he felt it turned the character into something else, but she won him over.