NJPW World

Sphinx

Finally got around to watching Omega/Ospreay. It was great. Really, really great. But I don't know that I agree with a lot of the hype coming from some wrestling journalists and fans talking about "best match ever". I thought Omega/Okada had multiple matches better than this. I also just find it really difficult to buy Ospreay as the babyface in peril.

Edited by 69MeDon

• Paid Members

Just watched Ospreay \ Omega. The first NJPW match I've ever seen outside of Forbidden Door. Fucking loved it ... absolutely brilliant stuff, with levels of realism that I've rarely seen in 30+ years of watching pro wrestling. How anybody can struggle to enjoy something like that is beyond me.

• Paid Members

New Japan not fully committing to “heel or face” has always been a thing as long as I can remember. During several of Okadas reigns he’s dominated smugly with a guy battling bravely from underneath, or he’s been the valiant hero depending on who his challenger was. Even Omega as leader of the dastardly Bullet Club wrestled matches designed for the viewer to want him to win the belt. Beyond, much of the Nakamura-led Chaos involved them being an evil heel group that never interfered much in other’s matches, to the point where they’d get swarmed by members of other factions and STILL not come out, including matches where interference cost Okada the belt (apart from Gedo standing around like a gormless arse).

They can put in a good match but that match may not make sense for any wider arc. It is what it is.

When I stopped paying much attention to new Japan they had EVIL leading bullet club as Jay was stuck in the states. Now I’m kinda paying attention and evil leads house of torture which seems to still be bullet Club but the Japanese guys. Is HOT BC or are they separate? 

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, fozzyrock1986 said:

Just re-subscribed to NJPW world after couple of years not following. Do the US ppvs get added at a later date or can you only watch them if you pay separate?

The US PPVs tend to be separate on FITE TV, then added to NJPW World at a later point (which in the past has ranged from anywhere between a week to several months).

• Paid Members
On 1/5/2023 at 11:09 AM, Browser Brady said:

Maybe wrestling has passed me by.

Yeah. I'm happy for people liking Ospreay vs Omega to the degree they have but I hated almost every single second of it. I don't like either of them as it is, so I knew what I was getting myself into, but considering some of the hyperbolic statements that have been chucked around about this match I *had* to see what was being referred to. But it was almost everything I dislike in wrestling in one long match. It's the taking part that counts though!

• Paid Members

Who's worth a watch in NOAH these days?
Since Misawa died it seems like the company fell off the face of the earth and while NJPW made a huge resurgence, NOAH is only just slowly creeping back in.