NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members

Thanks all! That’s interesting, so I’m better to wait until 1st March before subscribing?

Im really interested in 2021 for now so sounds like I’ll be ok. I do want to catch up on all the Wrestle Kingdoms (last one I saw was 2015 I believe) so hopefully they’re on there. Plus any other recommendations from the last few years?!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, waters44 said:

Very tempted to sign up to this as I see its on Fire Stick

Is it like the Network where all the PPVs and big shows are on there? Also do most of the big shows have English commentary? Thanks 

Works fine on my Fire Stick (occasionally sticks a bit, but I think that's more down to my internet connection. There's a LOT of content on there, but as @Harvey Dentsays, the commentary isn't exhaustive, especially on the older stuff. 

Some shows have live English commentary, but due to the pandemic, some of it is being added after the event - usually within a week.

Only other issue I've noticed on Firestick - I have to log in almost every time I use it. It's not a major issue, as I use the phone app to type rather than the fire remote, but it's a mild irritation.

Edited by Chris B

1 hour ago, waters44 said:

Thanks all! That’s interesting, so I’m better to wait until 1st March before subscribing?

Yes, as far as I’m aware the sub month goes from the 1st of the month. So if you were to sub on February 28th, you would be charged on that day for February and then be charged again March 1st for that month. But, as @CavemanLynnmentioned, if you cancel part way through a month, you don’t have access until the end of the month, so any cancellations are best done towards the end of the month

• Paid Members

I really struggled with Mox/Kenta. The lack of sound was really an issue for me. It shows how much of a difference even a small number of people at ringside makes. 

If shows are played as if they're empty, that's kind of fine. The Japanese women's matches were fine, and I'm not sure why. Maybe because they weren't acting like it was anything else. I usually like Kevin Kelly, but he was screaming commentary as if he was having to shout over the audience. 

Also, Mox is great, but he plays to the back row, and with this being shot so tightly, it made a lot of what he does feel faker - the big facial expressions, the pantomime clawing at the ring while trying to escape a hold, all that. That, combined with the commentary, made it feel like they were doing a big match and just pretending it wasn't an empty arena.

I really wanted to like this more than I did.

I struggled with Moxley v KENTA too, partly because of the deafening silence. 
Was surprised they kept the belt on Moxley too, figured they would want to get the belt back into the promotion while there are still restrictions on travel. Read someone comment that it was because AEW “didn’t want Moxley losing”, which could just someone flapping their yap, but if true then that’s fucking bullshit. It’s New Japan’s belt, if they want it back that’s their prerogative.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

The potential match I'm most excited about there is if KENTA and Minoru Suzuki both advance and face each other. I'd really like to see that.

I'm somewhat nervous that Will Ospreay will be a finalist/win, because he's really not someone I want to watch. With talk of Marty Scurll turning up too over in Strong, I'm really pissed off with NJPW over all this.

• Paid Members

That and Tana v Jay White is a possible standout. 

I'm pleased to see Gabriel Kidd in it as well. From seeing him start out on HOP academy shows as a kid to how hard he has worked to get where he is today. I know Sabre was instrumental in getting him the New Japan gig in the first place so looking forward to that as well. 

3 hours ago, Chris B said:

I'm somewhat nervous that Will Ospreay will be a finalist/win, because he's really not someone I want to watch.

A point you've made previously. Now that we've all got that, perhaps you could shut up about it. He was probably working & starring for NJPW before you were watching the product & isn't likely to be fading into the background any time soon. Stage your one-man protest, but at least have the courage of your 'convictions', because the way it reads is; I'd rather not watch him, but I'll see how I feel at the time, which for anybody with genuine standards / convictions is laughable. It's just posturing and this board is full of that already.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, KingofSports said:

A point you've made previously. Now that we've all got that, perhaps you could shut up about it. He was probably working & starring for NJPW before you were watching the product & isn't likely to be fading into the background any time soon. Stage your one-man protest, but at least have the courage of your 'convictions', because the way it reads is; I'd rather not watch him, but I'll see how I feel at the time, which for anybody with genuine standards / convictions is laughable. It's just posturing and this board is full of that already.

I worked Ospreays 2nd ever match. Does that mean my opinion trumps yours? What a moronic attitude to have.  Both him an Scurll are toxic and he has every right to his opinon, as do you.

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, KingofSports said:

Eh. It's a factor. I'll also talk about watching Ibushi and Kenta face people and my love of watching Minoru Suzuki slap people.

I don't know how to handle Ospreay in NJPW. I'm actively trying to figure it out. How do you handle it when a company promotes someone you feel did something unconscionable? And yes, he was there before I started watching - his stuff with Ibushi was part of what captured my attention, and he was a feature of the Royal Quest show I went to.

With WWE, it became easier - I find Vince McMahon to be a piece of shit, and it actively damaged my desire to watch. That was someone at the top of the company, so it was a pretty straightforward decision (if a late one). It's just become really easy not to watch any more Progress.

Because I usually don't watch NJPW live, I tend to watch individual matches rather than full shows. That makes Ospreay really easy to skip. Wrestle Kingdom was a rarity where I watched the entire show and the only match of his I've seen since. My partner and I chatted about it after, because my initial take was 'it's a shame he's a shit, because he's really good' - my partner pointed out that it was his ability that gave him the power to be a shit, and he specifically used that power. Which I thought was such a good point that it reinforced my intention to skip him in future.

The more prominently they feature him, the more likely I am to skip shows. I won't be watching his matches in the New Japan Cup, and the further he goes, the more awkward that will be. My concern is that I want to invest in it, but there's a chance that I won't feel able to watch the semis or the finals. 

It's a product that I really love, but I'm going to struggle to keep loving if they keep showing that they don't care about this stuff at all. Booking Marty Scurll as well is concerning, especially considering he can't currently get booked by his friends. It's an odd choice for them to make. If it's a one-off - eh. If it's a regular thing... I don't know. It's pretty easy for me not to watch NJPW Strong.

So yeah, I'm trying to work this out. I don't know if I'm compromising my values by continuing to watch NJPW at all. At the moment, he's easy enough to skip for it to be a reasonably small issue for me. The more prominently he's booked, the more difficult that is.

But thanks for giving me a reason to talk about it more. I'll keep you updated.

Edited by Chris B