NJPW World

Sphinx

Fale is at his best fighting other big guys imo. He's dull as dishwater most of the time otherwise. 

The commentary has nose dived since Don left. 

They were insufferable during I think it was a Taichi Vs. Okada a while back, the two whose names escape me just bickering throughout the match. 

Kelly is still decent but there's little chemistry now. 

The Jay White post match promo is one of the best all round performances I have seen in a long time. Should Be Totally done in after 45 minutes in the ring, and pulls out 9 minutes of character work mentally falling apart. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, RedRooster said:

The matches were (mostly) very good, but I found it really hard to invest in any of them given the lack of atmosphere. You’ve got to do what you e got to do during a pandemic, but it really left me appreciating the difference a crowd makes to a good match, particularly when you don’t know the competitors.

After their earlier shows in the year, without any crowd, just having the clapping and the visuals adds a LOT to the presentation.

I enjoyed that a lot more than the card suggested, especially night 2. Night 1 had some solid stuff throughout, but Night 2 was really strong. The main events were best both nights, and I enjoyed a Jay White match. That's never happened before, but it really clicked for that one. Jeff Cobb, Shingo and Takahashi also came out looking like stars.

The Rumble on night 1 had a genuinely good comedy bit around the end. While the Okada/Ospreay match was good, it was the first Ospreay match I've watched since the stuff about him being a shit came out - while he's talented, it just made me feel more like I want to skip his stuff in future.

Overall, it was an easy watch - both nights flew by for such long shows.

• Paid Members

Apologies about the double post, but some spoiler thoughts in hindsight.I'm really, really excited about

Spoiler

Kota Ibushi as champion. There are so many feuds I'm up for watching, and obviously the match quality is going to be good. A rematch with Naito would be good, but another match with Okada could be really good. While I won't be watching an Ospreay one, I can see why they'd book it. But also, I want to see Ibushi vs Suzuki, Ishii, Shingo, Cobb - hell, Ibushi vs Takahashi could be incredibly fun. 

But the biggest one, which I'm now hoping will be next year's Wrestle Kingdom, would be Tanahashi. The (English) commentary on Tanahashi was pushing how past it he was, to a ridiculous degree. It was amazingly harsh in places, and his win wasn't entirely pushed as a 'well, he showed us wrong, he's still got it' thing as much as a 'well, he pulled it off tonight' thing. After the tag team with Ibushi, with Ibushi becoming disillusioned with Tanahashi and now regarding himself as having far surpassed him, that could make a final shot for Tanahashi at the title really compelling. Especially when he inevitably loses. Seriously, in terms of storytelling, I am so there for that one in particular.

• Paid Members

I’m not sure the “Can Tana do it one last time?” title match could be executed much better than the one he had with Omega, to be honest. Unless it was against Okada.

• Paid Members

Does anyone know if there is a reliable resource out there detailing who was sent on excursions and where in the early 90s?

I recall getting an autograph from a Japanese wrestler (as well as Alan & Adam Kilby) at a show at Norwich Corn Exchange in 91/92ish - would have been All Star running the venue at the time I think.

Obviously at the age of 9 or 10 I had zero concept of the excursion system, but now I can't help thinking it might have been a proper megastar who autographed across Klondyke Kate's photo on that calendar/poster (because he wasn't on it himself, the Kilbys signed their own photos!)

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, air_raid said:

I’m not sure the “Can Tana do it one last time?” title match could be executed much better than the one he had with Omega, to be honest. Unless it was against Okada.

Spoiler

They've been building up the story with Tanahashi and Ibushi for a while now, but not had a proper feud. The story of 'Can Tanahashi do it one last time?' with him winning has been done. Him losing is very different, and I think could be emotional and dramatic.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Statto said:

Does anyone know if there is a reliable resource out there detailing who was sent on excursions and where in the early 90s?

I recall getting an autograph from a Japanese wrestler (as well as Alan & Adam Kilby) at a show at Norwich Corn Exchange in 91/92ish - would have been All Star running the venue at the time I think.

Obviously at the age of 9 or 10 I had zero concept of the excursion system, but now I can't help thinking it might have been a proper megastar who autographed across Klondyke Kate's photo on that calendar/poster (because he wasn't on it himself, the Kilbys signed their own photos!)

1991/2 was most likely Sambo Iizuka, better known as the recently retired Takashi Iizuka, aka the dude with the Iron Fingers gimmick. Later that year and into 1993 was Michiyoshi Ohara wrestling as Tokyo Tanaka.

Later on you had Tenzan (as Hiro Yamamoto) in 93/4 and Kojima (as Lion Satoshi) in 95.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Statto said:

Cheers @JNLister, would be one of the first two I'd imagine, given the timing. We went to the wrestling regularly in 91/92 but don't recall going much after that.

The show could be this one:

[quote]NORWICH  25/1/92. Fit Finlay v Dave Taylor…Sambo Izuka v John Kenny…Alan Kilby v Shane Stevens.[/quote]

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, JNLister said:

The show could be this one

Strong chance it is, thank you. Is that from a resource of your own or something on the internet? I'd like to have a browse to see what else I recognise!

• 4 weeks later...

The first possible step to a renewed AEW/NJPW relationship? As far as I'm aware Moxley's contract allowed him to work NJPW, but not on US shores, hence his absence from the Dallas G1 show a couple of years back.

I'd love this to not be a one and done deal dropping the belt to Kenta. Not sure how many are watching Strong each week but Mox vs Brody King, Tom Lawler or Rocky Romero would be great to see. I'd even go for a match against Clark Connors at this point.

In other news...

Spoiler

The best promo in years is seemingly leading to a match against Tomohiro Ishii. Not a slight against Ishii, but not a match we were picturing on January 5th surely?

Edited by JimboDangerous
Spoiler tags

I imagine that they’ve just come to some kind of agreement with AEW to have the match in the US because otherwise it might never actually happen due to ongoing travel restrictions. By the time Moxley’s allowed back into Japan he could have a 2 year reign under his belt and only 2 defences.

Not to go all UFC, but perhaps in hindsight some kind of IWGP Interim US Championship could’ve been the way to go rather than months of ‘KENTA will face Jon Moxley somewhere at some point in time”. If anything, KENTA being a Japanese National but still living in the US allowing for travel between the two has given the whole situation a get out