NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members

Just a request before it starts, but can we keep to spoiler rules in here? With it being days between Japanese and English language uploads, it could be an awkward one. It's my first G1 and I'd like to talk about it, but avoid spoilers at the same time. 

On 9/20/2020 at 7:47 PM, Chris B said:

Just a request before it starts, but can we keep to spoiler rules in here? With it being days between Japanese and English language uploads, it could be an awkward one. It's my first G1 and I'd like to talk about it, but avoid spoilers at the same time. 

Seconded!

I usually fall a way behind and try to read some of the discussion later. It's more or less possible to skip back and not read posts made after the last show I watched, but what always scuppers this is the points totals being edited retrospectively to include later shows. 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, KingofSports said:

You could simply avoid the thread until you've seen what you need to see. Other than speculating about what might happen (which is a bore), what would bring you to it anyway? There's little or nothing else happening / worthy of discussion.

Why not start a separate thread for the G1, marked spoilers, or Japanese pace or whatever? Seems like a fair compromise.

I am watching delayed for the English comms, but that’s on me and I don’t expect everyone else who is watching real time to change where they post to accommodate me 

• Paid Members

I think the idea of a spoiler thread is a good idea. Either that or just anything to do with finishes and points being in spoiler boxes. There are so many matches in the G1, I daresay some people might want to be pointed to the highlights, and that's less useful if results accompany them. I'm already pissed off that NJPW's youtube channel has stuff come up with results in before they put English language versions up.

It's actually nice that there's enough interest in some parts of wrestling that such things might matter again. It feels like years of WWE have slowly battered some of us into not caring about what happens, so spoilers became less of a thing.

What have been the highlights so far? Night 1, Ishii vs Suzuki was enormous fun. Not quite as full-on as the Blue Justice match, but just so much fun to watch. I'm finding myself skipping the Ospreay matches, because I'm just not finding much fun in him being part of it with everything going on. I enjoyed Okada/Ibushi, but after recently watching the Omega/Okada G1 match, I was kind of hoping for a similar all-out, intense sprint, so was a little disappointed.

What were the standouts from Night 2?

• Paid Members

Caught up with Nights 2 and 4. The biggest thing for me in this is that I used to really not get or like Toru Yano, but the Takahashi match turned me round on him. As a result, I thought the combination of him and super-serious Sanada could be really fun - and it was! I enjoyed Yano's match with Tanahashi as well. Now I get the schtick, I'm much more sold on him. I actually skipped ahead to Night 4 because I was keen to see Yano/Tanahash and Naito ZSJ.

Kenta is great - he's less explosive these days, but he's such a good dickhead heel. And I'm slowly coming round to EVIL as well. Up until now I've liked Naito, but aware he's kind of missed his moment. I'm beginning to see more of why he's so loved now.

I'm skipping Ospreay's matche for the time being, because I just don't want to watch him at the moment. It's a shit form of protest, obviously, as it's only me that knows about it, but eh. If he gets to the final, I'll decide what I'm doing then.

Overall, this is my first G1, and I'm beginning to get into it. I wasn't sure if the round-robin would work for me, as it's a lot to watch, but I'm finding the shows fly by.

I know not many people on here like Jay White but he’s bloody class, he’d be a megastar in WWE(and probably will be one day) 

A Block has so many potential 5 star matches that I’m not overly bothered for the B Block, with Sanada losing his first 2 matches I’ll have him as the favourite to win the whole thing.

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members

I'm not keen because I find him totally inauthentic. I'm trying with him, but struggling. It probably didn't help that he was elevated to a main event scene he really didn't belong in. I struggled with EVIL for a similar reason, although beginning to come around to him this G1, I might find the same with Jay White.