NJPW World

Sphinx

• 3 weeks later...

Apropos of nothing, just conjecture, but rather than Covid being the cause of all the weirdness going on in New Japan (currently it feels like when Superman goes to Bizarroworld), could it be that the major players finally be falling to pieces?  At G1 Climax 28, despite all the high match ratings, I thought there was a number of notable matches where the big stars were coasting.  Tanahashi was dogging it with three star specials through the middle and Ibushi's face was finally looking its age.

In the NJ backstage documentary, Okada looked physically destroyed outside the ring.  Naito looks physically destroyed within matches.  Naito has probably been working around his own body for 2-3 years at least.  Put "No Limit TNA Xplosion" into Google and it's startling just how explosive Naito used to be.  Now he can barely slingshot over the ropes for the wrecking ball dropkick and he's pushing off the bottom rope.  That's New Japan's "big four" right there.  Even as a freelancer, Ibushi was there or thereabouts for years.

The only native heavies below that who aren't at least knocking on the door of 40 are EVIL and SANADA, who are the same age as Okada but with way less miles on the clock. Even Shingo is 37.  Everybody else is foreign or a junior.  Who else am I missing?  They lost two generations of heavyweights from the dojo, Oka is still out on excursion and looks awful.  If I am right and the belt has gone on EVIL because Okada wants to do the KOPW thing so as to become a lucha brawler and Naito is screw, where's the challenger?

I’d say New Japan’s Big 4 currently are Okada/Naito/Ibushi/Jay White, going off Wrestle Kingdom

Tanahashi is done as a main eventer for New Japan, they’ve still got tons of talent who can go, I’ve never really been a fan of Naito to be honest, always seems sloppy it what he does in the ring.

They’ve got Ospreay who is now a heavyweight, Taichi has improved loads over the last year, KENTA, Zack Sabre Jr, Ishii is always there or thereabouts, Moxley once it’s safe to travel plus Jericho 

Edited by TildeGuy~!

1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

I’d say New Japan’s Big 4 currently are Okada/Naito/Ibushi/Jay White, going off Wrestle Kingdom

Tanahashi is done as a main eventer for New Japan, they’ve still got tons of talent who can go, I’ve never really been a fan of Naito to be honest, always seems sloppy it what he does in the ring.

They’ve got Ospreay who is now a heavyweight, Taichi has improved loads over the last year, KENTA, Zack Sabre Jr, Ishii is always there or thereabouts, Moxley once it’s safe to travel plus Jericho 

You say that but tanahashi can still go at a very high level when needed and he is always their fall back. Oof course he is slowing down but hhe is by no means knocking on retirements door. 

His matches over the past 20 months w Omega, Ibushi, Okada et al were stunning. 

As fantastic as he is, and has been for so long, they definitely need to be moving past him as someone they can build the company around. Or they'll end up in real trouble like WWE in terms of not having any true stars going forward. I don't know how the next few years are looking for them, but it does feel like they don't have enough people ready to step up and be as big as they need them to be right now.

15 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

As fantastic as he is, and has been for so long, they definitely need to be moving past him as someone they can build the company around. Or they'll end up in real trouble like WWE in terms of not having any true stars going forward. I don't know how the next few years are looking for them, but it does feel like they don't have enough people ready to step up and be as big as they need them to be right now.

This is kind of my point. All of their domestic stars are old and/or are running on empty. The guys who people assume would probably be the next generation have done so many jobs, you wonder if their credibility is even salvageable.

Okada has seemed a step off, Naito is held together by duct tape. Another person is needed in the short and long term if both are too screwed to really go right now. 

I think they are far from running out. They have this mental ability to pick out decent talent and run w them. For all White's faults he is one of the best heels I believe. Give him a few years and he will be having classics consistently. They also seem to really pick their new signees well. Ospreay, Shingo etc have all proven to be great shouts over the past several years. I have faith in their ability to make stars. Its just the time it takes. Ibushi (barring neck injuries) has a decade on him as does White, Okada and others. Protect Suzuki and Tanahashi and they could have give years left each. I'm unsure about the Evil experiment but it's best they try new stuff when crowds are low, their fans arent going anywhere. 

No one turns it on and off like Tana. He knows when to coast and when to chase snowflakes. Plus I love that his finish is literally spamming his own finish.

I don't think there's any magic involved in NJPW's building of main eventers. It's just whereas we're so accustomed to western promotions getting cold feet when someone's not getting over and turning them, NJPW stick to their guns. It helps that they seem to have stuck to elevating heels, because at least you can transfer the heat from fuck off to legit.

It wouldn't surprise me if right now we're all laughing at the idea of EVIL on top, but give it 6 months and a solid outing in the G1 and he'll be a part of the main event furniture. 

21 minutes ago, danlewis said:

Hiromu is the next big star, there’s also Karl Fredericks, Jay White, Umino and Uemura.

If the main events consisted of them in 5 years time I don’t think it’d be a problem at all.

They are all relative juniors though aren't they? Particularly Hiromu and Karl. 

Put of those though it's Hiromu that seems to have something promising. Liked his evil match. 

Out of those, only Hiromu is a junior. Well, Uemura is right now but has already bulked up loads. Fredericks is a big lad. He has everything I think.

Hiromu is just too good though, he’s not big but he’s destined to not stay a junior, he’s just too popular. I reckon he’s the most popular act they have at the minute.

I don’t think there’s a worry about any of this lot.

Havnt watched in a few months cos my Amazon stick wasn't working

Bunch of random thoughts

I agree Fredricks caught my eye and is a top prospect, once he gets a gimmick I think fans will get behind him.

Osprey has bulked up a fair bit during lockdown, looking proper heavyweight now.

Guessing Jay its stuck in New Zealand?

Shame there's not an "AJ Styles" level guy to jump in top of the card for a year or so til new guys are ready.

Mox and Jericho are always welcome hands too

Shame Archer left, he was really clicking in the past year and seemed ready for main events