NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members
29 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Is there English commentary on the Cup events? I've got a little too used to it now.

Not live. The schedule states that it will come at a later date, and yesterday's doesn't have an English feed yet.

• Paid Members
On 6/16/2020 at 2:30 PM, seph said:

Not live. The schedule states that it will come at a later date, and yesterday's doesn't have an English feed yet.

Monday's show now has a separate English commentary track available, so 3 days sounds like a good ballpark.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're behind at this point, you're really behind.  So, here's a cheat sheet for the first round.  No winners/losers, just the matches I thought were worth watching.

Day 1
Hiromu/Honma (Honma works hard to contribute, Hiromu works hard on the carry)
Ishii/Despy (the match you never thought you wanted to see until it was booked)

Day 2
Nagata/Suzuki (old fellas bash the shit out of each other)

Day 3
Ibushi/ZSJ (ZSJ might've lost his Twitter password but he still has his talent)
SHO/Shingo (match of the round - they've been building a new style of junior heavyweight wrestling and this is SHO stepping up to join the party)
Tanahashi/Taichi (how did such a missable junior become such an unmissable heavyweight?  I love Taichi now.)

Day 4
YOSHI-HASHI/Tenzan (Not great but considering Tenzan's state, it's one of the best things YOSHI-HASHI has done for years)
Kojima/EVIL (Some people will never be as good as "washed up" 49-year-old Satoshi Kojima, that's how good he was and how good he still is)

So that's eight matches you can easily skip with a clear conscience.

On 6/16/2020 at 2:44 PM, TildeGuy~! said:

I’ve got this weird feeling Hiromu Takahashi is gonna win the New Japan Cup

The Semi Finals are free to watch on NJPW World tomorrow at 11am

Kazuchika Okada Vs Hiromu Takahashi

EVIL Vs SANADA

• Paid Members

I'm rather behind - just on 24th June now. So damn at spoilers in above post (although my fault, not yours). It wasn't a night that looked overly appealing on paper, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. This is my first cup event, so I'm learning what a good way it is to get the sense of a bunch of wrestlers I haven't seen that much of. Nagata/Okada was great fun - almost as much fun as Nagata and Suzuki just leathering the shit out of each other. And Ishii/Makabe was fun too. 

There was also comedy throughout, which I wan't expecting to laugh at as much as I did. First off, with a spot where Kanemura took a mouthful of whiskey to spit at Ishimori, and Ishimori held his mouth closed, making him swallow it. And secondly, everything about Toru Yano and Takahashi, with Takahashi desperately trying to protect his hair from Taro Yano repeatedly bringing out clippers and scissors. From the moment Takahashi came out nervously wearing a hard hat, it was clear this was going to be more a sketch than a match. And by the end, with a three-legged race and a count-out via lift sabotage, I was helplessly laughing. I haven't got Yano's stuff before, but I did here, and Takahashi was perfect.

• Paid Members

I forgot that would have finished by now and thought this would be conversation about the upcoming event. Got to learn to avoid this fucking thread. 

Tilde, any chance you can start spoilering this stuff? I would have really liked to have been surprised by that, and most people seem to talk about the matches rather than the results. 

Edited by Chris B