NJPW World

Sphinx

• Paid Members

ZSJ/Ospreay was sensational. There's no more ammo for anti-Ospreay fans to throw now, he literally excels in any match-up. 

"OOoOooOh but he makes weird noises sometimes". Fuck off with that. He's in the God tier, and matches like this show that he's still going be killing it when he's forced to tone down his own style.

On the subject of Okada/Tacichi, I'll be watching that on my break with my finger firmly pressed on the FF-button. Half an hour?! Half a fucking hour for a Tacihi title defense?! No thanks. 

• Paid Members

Ospreay's still not to my taste, and there were some sequences in that match that I felt brought out Zack's worst instincts, but I can't deny that he's one of the best at his style. His match with Hiromu should have been everything I dislike about modern wrestling - overly choreographed, overly elaborate, overly ambitious - but they nailed every single thing they attempted, and it just worked.

Back to Ospreay/ZSJ, the counter to the "Cheeky Nandos" kick was my favourite thing I've seen from Zack in a long time.

• Paid Members

I think that's fair critique. I was mainly referring to the cretins on Twitter who'll constantly label Will as a spot-monkey and constantly tag him to the Cornettes and Russos despite having never seen a single match of his.

Timothy Thatcher, whom some would also call the best in the world, isn't really to my tastes but I still really dig his stuff when he holds my attention. If someone presented an argument as to why he's the best in the world, I could nod my head whilst not particularly being a massive fan myself.

• Paid Members

I think Ospreay has really calmed down in the past few years, and structures his matches a lot better than he used to. The spot monkey criticism doesn't stick at all, but as you say, it's often coming from people who haven't seen his matches, and are reacting to GIFs out of context, or just parroting the likes of Cornette et al.

• Paid Members

I enjoy Ospreay now more than ever. He's definitely calmed down for the better. I hardly ever get that sense of anger and guilt I used to get watching him seemingly land on his head and neck on purpose.

My only real problem with him now is that once you notice the way he claps his hands in between spots, it's fucking impossible to not get distracted by it. Has he always done it? Is it to help him keep rhythm? I'm far from one of those, "iT lOoKs LiKe DaNcInG!" pricks but it massively takes me out of his matches now that it's all I can see.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

For those that enjoyed it but wished it went ten minutes longer, had an Andy Quildan run-in and a DQ finish Rev Pro have just announced ZSJ V Osprey for their High Stakes Show next Friday

Just fixing that for you.

Ospreay is great, far better than he was just a couple of years ago. However, I still see moments with him when I'm taken out of the match because when I look into his eyes I can see him thinking about the next spot or trying to pop the crowd rather than just seeming like he's fighting for his livelyhood. I know that sounds unfair because I'm sure every wrestler is guilty of that at some point or another but I just sense it more with Ospreay than others who recieve similar praise.

It's nitpicking I know and I still love him but he's 99% of the wrestler that I wish he was and I can't quite articulate what that missing 1% is.

Echo the love for the ZSJ/Osprey match, I love Zack and he's an odd case where he looks like a twig but you just believe that he could snap someone three times his size in half, I've heard it puts some people off but I love how much he shit talks during matches too.

Any of the "Road To" matches worth watching so far?

1 hour ago, TildeGuy~! said:

So Moxley/Suzuki is probably gonna be my match of the year already decided and will now get Moxley/ZSJ too. 

"They're both insane!" - Kevin Kelly

Basically sums up this match lmao and I loved every second of it. Makes me value even more why Moxley left the WWE even more. Pure fun match. Rematch or 3 please.

• Paid Members

Todays main was good but suffered a little in that I never for a second thought they’d cut Naitos balls off and let KENTA beat him. But it was fun.