Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sphinx

NJPW World

Recommended Posts

I remember Archer playing super heel against Tanahashi in the G1 at Korakuen last year and he was getting cheered! Cheered over Tanahashi!

Those fans knew how much he improved In such a short space of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally managed to watch Moxley vs. Suzuki. I could’ve done without the stupid unprotected chair shot, but otherwise fantastic. Every company on the planet should be looking to hire Suzuki as a coach when his career ends. It’s insane how much he manages to get out of every little thing he does.

Zack Saber vs. Moxley is super fascinating, even if he Zack looked absolutely tiny on Mox’s back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the post-show, Moxley called Zack 'a human fucking udon noodle', which is just spectacular.

It looked to me like the seat flew off on the chair shot - I wondered if the seat was gimmicked. I reckon that was what was meant to happen with that Cody chairshot from last year as well, that the seat  is basically supposed to be held on with pritt-stick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Chris B said:

In the post-show, Moxley called Zack 'a human fucking udon noodle', which is just spectacular.

It looked to me like the seat flew off on the chair shot - I wondered if the seat was gimmicked. I reckon that was what was meant to happen with that Cody chairshot from last year as well, that the seat  is basically supposed to be held on with pritt-stick.

That line from Moxley was great.

I really like ZSJ but I absolutely cringe at his promos, more so than anyone I’ve ever seen, and that one to “Jonathon” was just as bad. Even when he’s slagging off Tories and what not. Just terrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

That line from Moxley was great.

I really like ZSJ but I absolutely cringe at his promos, more so than anyone I’ve ever seen, and that one to “Jonathon” was just as bad. Even when he’s slagging off Tories and what not. Just terrible.

I love ZSJ's promo's at the moment. To tell you the truth, he's one of my favourite characters in wrestling. I thought the Boris Johnson meltdown at the G1 was fantastic. One of the highlights of the whole thing for me. He's a fantastic dick head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

That line from Moxley was great.

I really like ZSJ but I absolutely cringe at his promos, more so than anyone I’ve ever seen, and that one to “Jonathon” was just as bad. Even when he’s slagging off Tories and what not. Just terrible.

This is interesting, as general opinion is that his post-match promos are fantastic. I too am a big fan of them, and they've become regular highlights of the wrestling week. Is there anything in particular that turns you off him, SB? Genuinely curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

This is interesting, as general opinion is that his post-match promos are fantastic. I too am a big fan of them, and they've become regular highlights of the wrestling week. Is there anything in particular that turns you off him, SB? Genuinely curious.

I only really watch the big shows and bits and bobs that are posted here and on twitter, and whilst I think he's a superb wrestler and I always enjoy watching him, like I say his promos leave me cringing.

I'm not sure what it is, but I just become acutely aware that I'm watching someone pretending to be a wrestler, if that makes sense. And not from a "He's a bit skinny and doesn't look like a wrestler" bit as I don't believe in that kind of thinking.

The whole out-of-breath "Ooof blimey" schtick just doesn't do it for me, that's all. It's too calculated and acted, and never feels natural. His cadence is really odd as well.

I am well aware that I'm probably way off the mark and trust yours and others judgements that watch it a lot more, but that's how he always comes off for me.

And also, I watched that Two Out Of Three Falls doc and someone said he is "Mr Blinky" and I cant unsee that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair enough points there. Whilst I don't find Zack's promos particularly threatening, I do find them very entertaining. I guess that's the whole point of his character though. In one of his last promos, he said that Moxley would kill him in a bar fight or deathmatch, but it's in a pro wrestling match where he is super confident in winning. I guess I kinda like the idea of someone being cocky at a particular style of wrestling but readily admits that he's of no use outside of those four ropes, and that somehow makes him more cockier.

10 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

And also, I watched that Two Out Of Three Falls doc and someone said he is "Mr Blinky" and I cant unsee that.

Oh shit. I have never noticed this...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always liked ZSJ's NJPW promo stuff, mostly because it's always come across fairly believably as a 'knackered athlete post-exertion'. He sounds like I'd expect someone to sound just trying to talk about things off the top of their head after an exhausting wrestling match.

Not everything lands, but NJPW do them so often that only one in every four or five has to do well enough that it works for them. If he was stood in the ring delivering a five minute promo it'd feel flat in a way this doesn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before all this he had Taka as his mouth piece, giving him the Brock Lesnar style treatment.

All for his Mighty Boosh nicknames he gives himself like “The Long Mover” and “The Windy Man”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2020 at 6:02 PM, Polish Dad said:

I've always liked ZSJ's NJPW promo stuff, mostly because it's always come across fairly believably as a 'knackered athlete post-exertion'. He sounds like I'd expect someone to sound just trying to talk about things off the top of their head after an exhausting wrestling match.

Not everything lands, but NJPW do them so often that only one in every four or five has to do well enough that it works for them. If he was stood in the ring delivering a five minute promo it'd feel flat in a way this doesn't.

I always found his panting aa little forced. Starts offf OK but after 30 secs and he is still breathing like that it's rather off putting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...