Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Supremo said:

What the fuck was Rey wearing though? Who approved that gear, with the weird thong?

That outfit was absolutely dire. He actually won a match too, so he might consider it lucky that he wears his thongs outside his trunks and try it again next week!

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
2 hours ago, FourtyTwo said:

Or, will they use it to rehab Hogan, and have him come out and save the day..

"See, he's no racist!" ;)

Oh Christ, I'd almost be tempted to put money on that happening at 'Mania now.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

I totally forgot about that weird Bray Wyatt/Randy Orton tag title run until AJ brought it up. A flat earther never forgets.

Thing is due to how shit it eventually turned out but that Wyatt/Orton story was the best thing they had going for a few months. Really fun and Randy seemed to be enjoying it. Then he burnt Bray's house down instead of RKO'ing him and it all went to shit.

Man, now THAT was a Road To Wrestlemania show. I don't know if they're using new writers or if it's because it's the one time of year they give a shit, but between Orton/AJ, New Day/Vince and Seth/Heyman, the material this week was unusually good. Actually acknowledging history of the matches and characters and rewarding the viewer for paying attention to the bloody show. The promos were on fire on Smackdown. That might have been the best promo Randy Orton has done in his life. Even the Iconics were great, pre-tapes work much better for them. Shane was shit of course. The guy inherited his mum's complete lack of charisma. As if The Miz's last face run wasn't a disaster, you put him opposite Shane and expect him to build sympathy selling his shit? I would have switched them the other way for sure. 

So good to see New Day and Kingston finally given something legitimate to sink their teeth into. They smashed it out of the park. That's how you do the underdog vs the Authority trope, puts the Ronda/Becky clown show to shame. The emotion was real and it hit a lot fucking harder than a mid card match has the right to. I wonder if they can keep this ticking over nicely until Mania. The Smackdown team seem a lot smarter about laying out their show so I reckon this will keep strong. Ultimately I think there's more juice in Bryan as the heel champion but it'd be a mistake to not give Kofi his run. Have to admit though, this segment got me the most excited for Big E. Give me the push, I'm ready!

It's amazing how hard they've tanked Becky Lynch and the women's match. I don't remember a bungle job this bad since Roman's initial solo push. Becky and Roman, both Vince 'picks' that he put the machine behind. One was driven off a cliff and the other teetering on the edge. The guy's lost the plot. Obviously Becky's great and one impactful smash hit segment is all it takes to put the juice back into this, but this wasn't it.

Have to say I'm slightly disappointed that Joe/Cena seems to be off the cards. Multi man ladder match for the title? Joe/Rey/Andrande/Ali/Truth and maybe Woods even.

• Paid Members

Lots of hyperbole about Kofi right now. He's put the years in and he's a good wrestler, he shouldn't be WWE Champion. Some guys get the buzz and become believable challengers but then get beat - thats where he is. He's in the spot to make Bryan more hateable for beating him. The payoff on Bryan is for someone who's getting a good run, not a Lifetime Achievement Award, "thanks for being here" win.

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Lots of hyperbole about Kofi right now. He's put the years in and he's a good wrestler, he shouldn't be WWE Champion. Some guys get the buzz and become believable challengers but then get beat - thats where he is. He's in the spot to make Bryan more hateable for beating him. The payoff on Bryan is for someone who's getting a good run, not a Lifetime Achievement Award, "thanks for being here" win.

I'm inclined to agree. It's become such a myopic "Do it for the moment!" thing that if anything it's a slight on the title. And yes, I know there's literal dozens of examples of worse runs and worse champions, but I still don't think the belt should be switched to net a hashtag and YouTube clip. Run wise I'd much rather Bryan beat him. 

I'd also much rather Seth go over, since we're playing "where's the heel win coming from?" this year. There's your real WM style narrative endpoint. The emerging Shawn Michaels of his era finally dethroning Big Bad Brock for all the people who watch the TV week in, week out. 

If it has to be one or the other, give it to Seth. The Kofi thing can be milked further. 

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Sorry raid, but after all the years of unsatisfying pay-offs to stories and popular wrestlers having the rug pulled from under them, I think the sheer fact that so many people want him to win the WWE Championship is the reason he should win the WWE Championship.

I’m fed up of feeling deflated after a Wrestlemania. Give us a feel-good moment.

• Paid Members

Out of the 3, Kofi and Seth are the changes I'd like. I think the likely winners will be Seth/Bryan/Becky, but the Becky storyline hit a brick wall for me at Fastlane to the point I'm not arsed anymore who comes out of that match as champion. I'm much more invested in Kofi and Seth's journey than Beckys.

• Paid Members

Kofi Kingston's story is perfectly built to be a heart-breaking loss, I agree. It's so rare that WWE make you really invested in a babyface, and see their defeat as a reason to hate the heel that beats them, rather than the creative team booking them to lose. Bryan and Kofi are both absolutely good enough to pull it off.

What's great about it is that Kofi went from going nowhere midcarder to babyface championship contender within a single episode of TV, and made people genuienly want to see him win a belt that most would admit hasn't really meant all that much for years. The frustrating side of that is that it shows WWE are perfectly capable of that kind of booking, yet seem to actively refuse to do it 99% of the time.

• Awards Moderator
48 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

I'm surprised anyone is invested in Seth's journey at the moment, feels like a complete afterthought.

Which is why I'm remaining convinced Brock is winning. He's not dropping the belt to an afterthought. Kofi for the title!

Brock's a mercenary. He'd drop the strap to Samir Singh if duty called. 

In all seriousness I do think the Seth fire picked up a bit again this week on Raw. I'm still into him winning. For most of the past year even his detractors around these parts had to shrug and concede that his weekly reactions were brilliant. 

It's proper wrestling that one of the things that's taking away from it at present is that fucking Roman Vs. Brock is getting bandied about again as a money match! 

The only way I would care about the Kofi stuff is if it leads to a turn and a main event run for Big E. He’s the star of that team to me, anyway. So id be happy for Kofi to win and then E turn on him on the post mania smackdown. 

Its difficult to even remember the lesnar match is happening. It means so little right now. 

The women have suffered from having too much TV time to fill and filling it mostly with nonsense. 

Im more excited for Big Dave and Uncle H and AJ and Orton than any of the title matches to be honest. 

Archived