Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great way of keeping the heat on Charlotte and the crowd behind Becky. If Becky wins, it’s a triple threat, If she loses she’s gone, so Charlotte is going to Wrestlemania no matter what, she literally has nothing to lose from this match no matter the result. It keeps her as ‘the chosen one’ and Becky continues to overcome the odds, great stuff.

• Paid Members

They have masterfully worked Charlotte into the bitchy heel and she's done a fantastic job with everything they've given her. I'm still in the position where I just don't want her in there but I expect her to be. It will be good anyway but still think it would have been better 1 on 1.

I only skimmed through the show but watched the final straight of the Bar v Ricochet/Black match and couldn’t believe how dead the crowd were for the faces’ big-time moves as they tried to take the win. Just no noise or excitement at all from them. It’s just pretty jarring after getting used to the reactions they get at Takeovers etc. Well it shouldn’t be that surprising by now, but you know what I mean.

Yeah Charlotte is fantastic. As an overall act she’s one of the best wrestlers on Earth. I can’t imagine the expectations put on her being the last working Flair as well. Nobody in the business manages to carry themselves like her, she’s totally stepped out of her dads shadow and transcended the 2nd generation tag. She smashes it.

Good God how ridiculous it was to ever push her as a babyface.

• Paid Members

By no means are they Rock and Austin, but imagine they shot Angle into the match at X7? 

Not a bad match by any means on paper, but it didn’t need to be a triple threat. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

By no means are they Rock and Austin, but imagine they shot Angle into the match at X7? 

Not a bad match by any means on paper, but it didn’t need to be a triple threat. 

I think a fairer comparison would be adding Triple H rather than Angle. Now THAT would've been WrestleMania main event, but just not as big as a Rock VS Austin singles. I think the same applies here.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

With regards to The Rock vs. Austin at Wrestlemania 17, I think a good comparison is that shitty storyline they did for a week or so where Debra became the Rock's manager in the lead up. Back then, someone, somewhere decided that The Rock fighting Stone Cold Steve Austin for the WWF Championship at Wrestlemania wasn't enough of a sell and it needed more layers added. In that instance, they quickly realised their mistake and fucked the whole thing off, whereas here they've just doubled down on the unnecessary bullshit.

It's such an over-complicated mess now, I don't even understand half of it. I thought Becky's doctors cleared her weeks ago? Why the need to sign that agreement?  And what actual reason did Steph have to bring Becky back? It seemed certain that Ronda giving up the belt would lead to Steph backing down and reinstating Becky in order to not lose Ronda but then that didn't happen either. Steph just brought her back because this week she wants to get cheered. Don't get me wrong, there's no denying that Charlotte is doing a great job as a heel, but still. They've diluted the shit out of this. Even when Becky inevitably wins, they've still missed out on a great opportunity here to really make the first women's Main Event feel special. It's just another pro-wrestling storyline where everyone involved is slowly cooling off.

• Paid Members

Why are you surprised? They've done this almost every year since 1997 with massively mixed results. Too much TV between Rumble and Mania. I told you the night after Rumble. Best thing to do is stop thinking about it too much and focus on the match at the end which, for all their faults, still has the crowd behind the and against the right people.

On 1/29/2019 at 9:33 AM, tiger_rick said:

Michael Cole's best line in years was "Can it be WrestleMania tomorrow?" Even Cole knows they'll ruin this glorious moment with two months of build :laugh:

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, tiger_rick said:

Too much TV between Rumble and Mania.

That's exactly it. Same thing with the Debra shit in the build to Wrestlemania 17. By the time the show came along, none of that mattered. But they need something for the main eventers to do on TV twice a week every week, and on PPVs between the Rumble and Wrestlemania, other than just cutting promos on each other all the time.

Hell, when Austin won the Rumble, Kurt Angle was WWF Champion, and there's rarely been a more obvious result than when he defended against The Rock at No Way Out - the pre-Mania PPVs are always a matter of shuffling the card around to get everyone where they need to be, and the titles on the right people, to make Wrestlemania happen. 

It's a big problem that they seem to be getting progressively worse at, the better main event builds have usually been those where one or both parties are absent  half the time in the run up to Mania. They really need to plan curve balls and obstacles for the face(s) to overcome and secondary face(s) for the heel to pick off, the bigger main event story can then be slowed down while these other characters are involved and any feuds that catch on can be left unfinished forming the basis of the post-Mania feuds. 

The biggest problem this year for the men's main event on Raw is simply that Rollins has no worthwhile heels to storm through before Brock, they should have build Drew up and then had Rollins beat him after a competitive match at Fast Lane or the Chamber. I'm not going to bring up the Women's match because I honestly hate that we see another Becky/ Charlotte showdown so close to the three way when this could have been a contract signing angle at Fast Lane and kept a bit more suspense in the match. 

They are teetering on the edge of really ruining Becky's popularity - she is just about saving it with some terrific performances and delivery, but how much longer can she fire fight?

it feels like they have seen what got Becky over huge when they tried make her heel but they're falling back into the trap of booking her like one of their normal, cringey, not as likeable babyfaces with this convoluted mess.

they need to do better with this after Sunday.

22 minutes ago, Ricc1PW said:

They are teetering on the edge of really ruining Becky's popularity - she is just about saving it with some terrific performances and delivery, but how much longer can she fire fight?

it feels like they have seen what got Becky over huge when they tried make her heel but they're falling back into the trap of booking her like one of their normal, cringey, not as likeable babyfaces with this convoluted mess.

they need to do better with this after Sunday.

I don't think it's that. The problem is that the character has lost any agency. She got over with her promos but since the Rumble and the Raw move she's had barely any promo time, except for when she's playing the child to the Authority and the tedious hurdles their putting her through - Will Becky Lynch apologise, will she sign the agreement etc. She's got the right to the mania Main event by the ways of her rumble win, yet she just accepted this ridiculous qualifying match at Fastlane, just like she apologised, no resistance at all. We didn't even hear any response to Vince screwing her and putting Charlotte in the match. It used to be that her twitter was a nice extra bit of spice to her character, now it's the only interesting thing about her.

They can turn it around simply by dumping heat leeching Stephanie out of the feud (not gonna happen) and just let Becky sell the match with promos and have her actually react to all the shit that's been going on around her. And ditch the fucking crutches.

Thinking about it and giving a little fantasy booking here but surely with Vince being the man to replace her, Stephanie should have fucked off from the whole mess for a while. I don't know if Vince would play ball but seeing him almost having his arm broken by Vince before Stephanie caves in and puts Becky back in the match would have been a sight. 

Archived