Smackdown Discussion Thread

8 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

Having Orton come in and cause a DQ when its just getting going or when people wonder who WWE would put over would be a complete burnout, especially as I assume it'll come after whatever convoluted idea WWE has next about the Kofimania storyline.

Every day we stray further from God.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/22/2019 at 12:26 PM, tiger_rick said:

Rumour was Owens 

Cheers.

I think one of the issues with the storyline they are trying to tell with Kofi at the moment, and the same goes for a lot of what they do at times, is that we’re so close to WM now, and there’s no real “alternative”. Everyone pretty much knows it’s going to be Kofi v Bryan, so there’s no real feeling of jeopardy in it.

Do people REALLY want Kofi v Bryan at WM?  I think they've done a decent job on the promotion but it's hardly a dream match that we've been anticipating for years.

With respect to the New Day lads who are all fantastic in their roles, 2018 Kofi is one of the most unlikely WM main eventers (for Smackdown at least) in years.  A perennial mid carder before being a perennial tag team member, he's physically so reduced nowadays that it's actually awkward looking, as people have noted before.

Of all the matchups I would have predicted over the last year, this one would have ranked very low, and I find it odd that on a program that's generally done such a good job of building good faces and heels this year, they've had to substitute in Kofi at a very late stage.  Smacks of a real lack of confidence in their top guys.

2 hours ago, Loki said:

Do people REALLY want Kofi v Bryan at WM?

Yeah, they definitely do. Half of wrestling is adapting to what the fans want and there's no question in my mind, despite the ending to last week's show being a bit of a bummer, that Kofi's the right guy for this specific match. If it was the only title match or the *proper* main event, then there'd probably be a bit more shock or displeasure, but there isn't a clearer candidate for me than Kofi at this moment in time. Whether it extends beyond Mania... I doubt it.

• Paid Members

I've been assuming that Kofi's losing, because Bryan's on too much of a good thing with his title run, and Kingston losing would have more value as a genuinely heartbreaking, heat-garnering moment than Kofi winning would have as a "feel-good" moment on a show that will likely have a few more opportunities to hit that note (the entire main event, for example). 

But considering there'll be another Saudi show after 'Mania, if Bryan's still refusing to work them, maybe Kofi goes over?

The moment when The Uso’s deliberately forefeited was a wonderful payoff to both their rivalry with The New Day and the line they’ve used for years about having to work so long just for an opportunity.

Great booking.

Yeah that was one of the better booking decisions they've made in quite some time. Nice attention to detail and logic when they can be bothered.

Have to feel sorry for Asuka but I guess they're going for a Four Horsewomen all belts moment at the end of Mania. We all knew her title reign was an afterthought but still. Guess they're trying to legitimise Charlotte's place in the main event more.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

guess they're going for a Four Horsewomen all belts moment at the end of Mania. 

Probably, although if they really want to go all in on the main event they could make it for both belts and unify them?  Would certainly ramp up the stakes!

Would be much better for the match to be for both belts, if it's just for Ronda's belt then it telegraphs the result even more.

I'm glad they have took the belt of Asuka though, it's one less match that they have to shoehorn onto the card, she will probably get the womans battle royal win as a consolation. (Actually, have they even officially announced that yet?)

Surprised we have no male tag title matches yet, I'd like them to throw the Uso's, Hardys, New Day, Bar, Ricochet/Black & Nakamura/Rusev into a ladder match for the Smackdown belts.

3 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

Yeah that was one of the better booking decisions they've made in quite some time. Nice attention to detail and logic when they can be bothered.

Have to feel sorry for Asuka but I guess they're going for a Four Horsewomen all belts moment at the end of Mania. We all knew her title reign was an afterthought but still. Guess they're trying to legitimise Charlotte's place in the main event more.

Called this a month of so ago...or maybe I said it was what they should do. I've got no problem with the 4 women holding belts in the ring to end the show but it does feel WWE have found a way to have it all rather sneakily although at least it will mix things up a bit after Mania as Charlotte can stay on Smackdown while Becky goes over to RAW meaning some fresher storylines at least 

I can see a battered and beaten Rousey draped over the Baracade, her girls helping her to her feet having watched from ringside in the background, as Becky, Charlotte, Bayley and Sasha celebrate in the ring with their title belts. The show closes on Ronda’s angry face setting us up to a year long build to a 4 on 4 spectacle.

Would be a hell of a visual and a way to end the show.

• Paid Members

Surely the plan is to unify the Women's belts now? Becky holding up both belts at the end of the show sounds good to me. It sucks for Asuka but the truth of the matter is that the Smackdown division is crap and Wrestlemania will be infinitely better for not having yet another token match with Asuka defending against someone like fucking Carmella.

Fucking hell. Just when I thought it couldn’t any worse. It’s totally head spinning.

If they’re not unifying the titles and  if this is to get a belt onto Charlotte for that four horsewomen posedown, then this is an absolutely terrible and forced way to get there. Talk about putting all the eggs in the basket. Better hope they have a decent spot for Asuka somewhere because after Becky or whoever wins at Mania she’s got fuck all challengers. Unless it’s Charlotte/Becky again for the thousandth time.

I’m sick of the curtian call stuff. It felt like we were past that. That post-Rumble Raw stare down raised the bar. Those two were the main event and you wouldn’t second guess it. All that back patting about the women that they’ve held back for years finally getting a shot, this was the golden ticket. A genuine main event between the two biggest stars in the company. But all they’ve done  is lower that bar every fucking week since. I’m fully expecting the three of them to cuddle at the end. Four horsewomen pose down with Charlotte looking like a mug holding up a belt she wasn’t defending in a match she just lost. Steph on the ramp in tears with the entire women’s division behind her clapping on. Utter shit.

Archived