Smackdown Discussion Thread

When he comes back proper, they need to cut Roman's ties to the Shield and make him his own man, but have the Usos around him when it comes to backstage stuff and in ring celebrations. Neither act needs the other, and it'd be tricky considering the Usos really popped when they went heel and Reigns is the company face, but it'd play into his family man vibe, and somehow Jimmy and Jey are cooler than nasal Crossfit bro Seth and leery redneck Ambrose.

• Paid Members

"Nasal crossfit bro" is a spectacularly accurate description of Rollins. 

Another thing I love about the Usos is outside the ring they are like the wrestlers of old, getting pissed off their heads, taking their shirts off and starting fights with the police. God bless 'em.

• Paid Members

So pleased to see all the love here for the Usos. I've been convinced for a while that they're not just the best tag team in the company, but the best act full stop. Like Lorne Malvo said, I watch a lot of WWE TV as background activity, but as soon as the Usos are on screen I'm paying full attention.

On 10/18/2018 at 5:00 PM, Supremo said:

Remember when people would get their stopwatches out and actually calculate how much in-ring action there was on each episode of Raw, moaning there wasn’t enough? I wonder if anyone still does that and is really happy with all the long, drawn out, boring matches we have to endure.

Oh God Fin Martin did this ALL the time didn't he? 

I haven't seen Smackers this week but read the results, and whilst I'm not totally opposed to them running with this angle with Kofi considering it actually feels organic and "right", and I'll be cheering from the rooftops if he gets the title match and wins at the Manes, but Christ they really don't know how to book any babyfaces going for the title without using the Daniel Bryan 2014 TM formula do they?

• Paid Members

Unfortunately, the Monday night wars still linger and they think they know how to get a babyface over using an authority figure and we're going to see it ad nauseum.

On the plus side, the mic work from the New Day has been top notch and it was great to see them kicking shit out of people after all the years of comedy. It's good timing with all the appreciation ffor the Usos in this thread because, heel turn aside, it's very similar. You've got these great hands and fun workers but they've been coasting for so long because that's the environment and that's their spot. Then you give them something to get their teeth into and *shock horror* they are fucking wonderful.

I can't express how much I want Big E to be a big star though. He's got everything.

Strange show in other areas because it's like Fast Lane and the last 6 weeks of filler never happened. Shane just comes out, no fluff, and makes the match for Mania. Orton and Styles go back and forward, AJ points at a sign and it's on for Mania. Becky and Charlotte get down to money promos and we're on for Mania.

Thought Shane's promo should have been shorter and sweeter but I did laugh at the "potato face" comment about the Miz's Dad. Orton delivered his best promo in ages but AJ's side of it was really weak. Becky and Charlotte were both really good. Becky calling Ronda a "weirdo" got another chuckle out of me.

Am I the only one thinking they should have had Vince going 'Kofi - you're an incredible athlete... but you're a joke! I mean, look at what you've become! A unicorn horn wearing, pancake eating joke!'... and then do all the rest of the stuff, Kofi goes 'What do I have to do?' and Vince goes 'Whaddya have to do!? You have to ditch the New Day. Dump these two. They're holding you back! You renounce the New Day , you never associate with them again, you get serious, you become the Kofi that I know you can be ...and you get your title shot!'

You can then have the moral dilemma of does Kofi ditch his friends for a title shot? He doesn't have to turn... it can be played out like he is being forced to do it and he's willing to sacrifice his shot to stay with his friends. Big E and Xavier tell him he should go for it but maybe Big E says something like 'Yeah but where does that leave us?' and sow the seeds of 'well they're not TRULY happy for Kofi to leave them ... I dunno but you'd think WWE would love something like that.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Am I the only one thinking they should have had Vince going 'Kofi - you're an incredible athlete... but you're a joke! I mean, look at what you've become! A unicorn horn wearing, pancake eating joke!'... and then do all the rest of the stuff, Kofi goes 'What do I have to do?' and Vince goes 'Whaddya have to do!? You have to ditch the New Day. Dump these two. They're holding you back! You renounce the New Day , you never associate with them again, you get serious, you become the Kofi that I know you can be ...and you get your title shot!'

You can then have the moral dilemma of does Kofi ditch his friends for a title shot? He doesn't have to turn... it can be played out like he is being forced to do it and he's willing to sacrifice his shot to stay with his friends. Big E and Xavier tell him he should go for it but maybe Big E says something like 'Yeah but where does that leave us?' and sow the seeds of 'well they're not TRULY happy for Kofi to leave them ... I dunno but you'd think WWE would love something like that.

That's the sort of shit X-Factor melodrama I'm surprised they didn't go for. Realistically though, they need Woods and E to do a lot of the talking. The irony would be great though. WWE make the New Day a comedy attraction and then Vince comes out and criticises them for it. They've no grasp of irony so I could totally see it.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members

I’m hoping for an Attitude Era style crossing of multiple stories next week. Have AJ get involved to cost Orton, have Rey get involved to stop Joe. That way you can believably have Kofi beat The Bar and Rowan.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

I’m hoping for an Attitude Era style crossing of multiple stories next week. Have AJ get involved to cost Orton, have Rey get involved to stop Joe. That way you can believably have Kofi beat The Bar and Rowan.

Hell yeah. That's exactly what I envisioned when they came out at the end of the show. All storylines intertwining, with AJ Styles distracting Orton and maybe even Cena costing Joe his match. Maybe a big schmozz where guys like Ricochet and Black come out to even the odds against The Bar, everyone is fighting everywhere, then Kofi scores the win in the ring. Perfect. I can't wait for next week.

I thought it was a great show. It definitely feels like everyone has taken a huge sigh of relief that there aren't any more pay per views to build up, meaning they can finally just focus on selling Wrestlemania.

Great promo between Orton and AJ Styles. This is arguably the best thing Orton has done in years.

I love the Kofi stuff. Unlike the Becky storyline, Kofi's deal perfectly suits the "jump-through-hoops," approach. I did worry that they were veering into undertones of racism at one point, but thankfully nothing came of it. All three of the New Day are hitting home runs on the microphone and I'm fully on board with wanting Kofi to get his shot and win the big one. I also can't wait for the eventual Big E turn. He's going to be a megastar.

Someone mentioned in the Fastlane thread that they're lucky Becky and Charlotte are so good that they can overcome the terrible writing and never was it more evident than here. After Sunday I didn't give a single shit about this match anymore but Becky did a fantastic job of bringing it back from the dead. Great promo. This felt like the first time that she'd started using the language she uses on Twitter in her promos, too. Calling Ronda a, "little weirdo," and Charlotte a, "plastic-faced dope," was brilliant. Hopefully, this is the end of all this bullshit and all three girls can just cut great promos on each other for the next few weeks.

What the fuck was Rey wearing though? Who approved that gear, with the weird thong?

image.png.5170476779179460fd8a3910e19de3d9.png

Edited by Supremo

47 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Or, will they use it to rehab Hogan, and have him come out and save the day..

"See, he's no racist!" ;)