Smackdown Discussion Thread

Watching The Usos on Smackdown this week, I decided I really think they're one of WWE's all-time great tag-teams. I wonder, is that a common opinion or do you think I'm giving them too much credit? Many-time champs, a whole host of excellent matches, a good promo and a hugely long tenure during which they've continued to get better. At the same time, I'd understand if people weighed their earlier years more heavily and think the new version of the Usos hasn't quite cancelled out some of the blandness yet. Any thoughts?

For the record, I think The New Day also fall into that category, up there with WWE's best ever.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could say they're the greatest team ever, given that they've been together 9 years without ever splitting up or leaving, which I'm sure is a record.  If they'd been together that long with no success, then that would be terrible, but they've been champs several times.  Between them they've also spent barely a few months injured, which is also fairly impressive.

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, textonly said:

Watching The Usos on Smackdown this week, I decided I really think they're one of WWE's all-time great tag-teams. I wonder, is that a common opinion or do you think I'm giving them too much credit?

I think they're definitely up there, for sure. I have always liked watching them, even just before they turned heel and everyone else thought they were dull. They're exciting in the ring, they've often changed their act a little bit now and then to freshen things up- like changing their gear, facepaint, the Siva Tau and then of course the heel turn was a big change. Probably my favourite tag team in YEARS.

12 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

It’s a pity that in all the years they’ve been there, their only WrestleMania Match has been that short triple threat match last year. Can’t see them getting on the main card this year either.

Really? They are the Tag Champs on Smackdown 

It may be another multiteam match but think they'll be on the main card for sure 

Uso's vs Hardyz for the Tag Titles would be a decent way to open the main show

• Awards Moderator
40 minutes ago, MVP RULZ said:

Really? They are the Tag Champs on Smackdown 

It may be another multiteam match but think they'll be on the main card for sure 

Uso's vs Hardyz for the Tag Titles would be a decent way to open the main show

Nah, I think they’ll lose them back to Shane and Miz on Sunday, who’ll then fall out while being champions and wrestle each other at Mania as Tag champs like Eddie and Rey at 21.

• Paid Members
On 3/7/2019 at 9:00 AM, BomberPat said:

That's exactly it. Same thing with the Debra shit in the build to Wrestlemania 17. By the time the show came along, none of that mattered. But they need something for the main eventers to do on TV twice a week every week, and on PPVs between the Rumble and Wrestlemania, other than just cutting promos on each other all the time.

Hell, when Austin won the Rumble, Kurt Angle was WWF Champion, and there's rarely been a more obvious result than when he defended against The Rock at No Way Out - the pre-Mania PPVs are always a matter of shuffling the card around to get everyone where they need to be, and the titles on the right people, to make Wrestlemania happen. 

It was still a brilliant match between Angle & Rock at No Way Out that year.

Joe Vs Cena could be a show stealer at Mania. They're best mates, both bloody good and you know they'll get time.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, textonly said:

Watching The Usos on Smackdown this week, I decided I really think they're one of WWE's all-time great tag-teams. I wonder, is that a common opinion or do you think I'm giving them too much credit? Many-time champs, a whole host of excellent matches, a good promo and a hugely long tenure during which they've continued to get better. At the same time, I'd understand if people weighed their earlier years more heavily and think the new version of the Usos hasn't quite cancelled out some of the blandness yet. Any thoughts?

For the record, I think The New Day also fall into that category, up there with WWE's best ever.

Absolutely, they're incredible. Even during the face-paint years when they were pretty bland outside the ring, they were always perfect to put on a PPV pre-show to get the crowd amped up. They had that really fun 2 out of 3 falls match against Rowan and Harper at Battleground around that period too. Then after the heel turn, their whole new look and attitude just felt completely modern and relevant. I remember not long after that turn where they cut a fantastic promo in the crowd on American Alpha where I thought 'oh fuck, where has this fire been the last 6 years?'

Last year I would watch a lot of WWE in the background while I was doing other things, but Usos were one of those acts where as soon as the music hit they had my full attention. Love them.

10 hours ago, textonly said:

Absolutely. It’s rare we consider anyone to be up there with the greats in this era where we’re jaded, but I think the Usos and New Day are absolutely up there in the greatest tag team ever list.

I think The Miz is in with a shout for greatest IC champ ever as well.

• Paid Members

I bet the Usos as baby faces could have a great match with The Revival. 

Archived