Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Plus, it's truly come full-circle. Roman's first Mania main event goes tits up when Daniel Bryan returns and completely overshadows him.  Now Seth's is going the same way.

Romans first Mania on top was when Rollins cashed in and Bryan was on the undercard for the I title. Bryans comeback Mania was Romans fourth Mania on last.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator
46 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Romans first Mania on top was when Rollins cashed in and Bryan was on the undercard for the I title. Bryans comeback Mania was Romans fourth Mania on last.

Four Manias in a row in the last match is something that only Roman and Hulk Hogan have ever achieved, if I'm remembering my main events correctly.

(Hogan can stretch to five if you count his Yokozuna match as the official 'last match' and not a coda to Bret/Yoko)

8 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Four Manias in a row in the last match is something that only Roman and Hulk Hogan have ever achieved, if I'm remembering my main events correctly.

Yeah your right. Only others that come close are Cena, Rock and HHH with 3 last match appearances each. Cena being at 27,28 and 29, Rock at 15,16 and 17 and HHH being 20, 21 and 22. He would’ve had four in a row had he not got injured before WM23.

If you want to be picky/technical, Hogan coming out during the last match of WM4 would give him 9 in a row

6 hours ago, BomberPat said:

As much as people want to see Kofi win, I think they're setting him up perfectly for a heartbreaking loss, and I'm 100% on-board with that.

I’ve thought the same. Since this magical little development of Kofis title chase i’ve thought he’d be the perfect candidate to win this time around if WrestleMania still featured a Money in the Bank match. Still reckon it could go that way, losing here but taking MITB in the summer with an even greater drive and desire to claim the big one having failed at the grandest stage. He fits that nearly-man mould that you used to get before everyone held the big belts perfectly, but with the added last chance saloon aspect, which is an angle I’ve long hoped they’d do with someone. Going for Money in the Bank after losing at ‘Mania because he needs to win and prolonging the story, i’d quite like to see. It will be all about the chase and that’s only just getting started. This angle is so refreshing just having New Day used in a different way and having Big E and Xavier supporting him so strongly, it’s very easy to buy into because you know, deep down, nobody would be happier for Kofi to hold the title than those two lads.

It’s fascinating how things come around sometimes and how WWE can get shit so right when they want to and turn things around (in either direction) so quickly. They’ve played a blinder this week especially. But this all coming about just because Ali had to be taken out of the Elimination Chamber match. Amazing. Kofi was probably in the Andre battle royal until then! Also I’d love to know if it’s Vince himself who’s watched this all unfold, heard the reactions, sensed the excitement and made the call as a result or if it’s others getting in his ear going “this is our WrestleMania match”, making the argument and Vince actually listening and who those people were if so.

Using Vince in this way again here was genius, yet also highlights how hilarious it was when they did the same thing with Charlotte with everyone up in arms about it, unable to see where it was going. It’s a wonderful thing to behold when they can still master the art of working the audience and getting the reaction they want.

• Paid Members

The perfect scenario is Kofi not winning via Bryan channelling Sergio Ramos. Not only does it mean we'll probably get Bryan's group v New Day, but Bryan gets that little bit more heat he deserves. With Kofi, I think you go the same way they went with Jeff Hardy, in that they keep the fans wanting that big moment for him and eventually give it to us later in the year. You're relying on them to have the ability to keep it ticking over, of course, but I just think it's too soon for Bryan to lose his belt.

• Paid Members

Out of all those top matches, one of those face's are losing. At the least. There's no way all of HHH, Rollins, Kofi, Becky and Roman (in whatever match he's in) are going over. If we go with the idea Becky, HHH and Roman are all unlikely to lose, then it's Kofi or Seth for me that don't get over the line. 

A great Smackdown yet again. I'm loving the way they have went with the this Kofi/Bryan story and with KO thrown in the mix.

The thought of Rey Vs Andrade for the US Title at Mania, if they can slide R-Truth out of the picture and into the battle royal, is mouth watering. It's going to struggle to get a singles match though as it looks like AJ and Orton are on a head on collision as well, and Samoa Joe and Mustafa Ali don't deserve to be lost in the background of the Andre nonsense.

I sense a big multi man cluster fuck for the tag titles that grabs the likes of The Bar/Hardy's/Uso's/New Day/Black and Ricochet/DIY/Roode and Gable/Revival/Nakamura and Rusev. It'll probably need two matches though for all those guys. Maybe they'll join the tag titles together now that the women's tag belts are a real thing and haven't been duplicated on the two brands. 

6 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Were they setting up Cena answering the open challenge at Mania? Maybe 2+2 but it seemed too gratuitous not to.

Cena vs Truth at Mania? Cannot see it myself. Would be more inclined to think it will lead to a Cena return to help Truth. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, air_raid said:

I'm talking about when Daniel Bryan announced his return just before Royal Rumble 2015 after being injured since just after Wrestlemania 30. The moment he announced he was returning from the original neck injury and entering himself into the Royal Rumble that Roman inevitably won, you knew it was curtains for Roman. That was the real turning point. Up until then people were quite happy with Roman's continued push and he got mostly cheers from the crowd. That all went south from that moment on though and it feels eerily similar now. Everyone loves Seth and he's more than deserving of being in a Wrestlemania main event....it's just unfortunate that a much bigger star has suddenly came back with a much bigger story and a shit load more momentum. Seth better hope he doesn't end up getting booed in favour of Roman. That'd be the ultimate irony.

• Paid Members

I think the cash in was the turning point. The Lesnar match was such a superb war, if Roman just walks away with the belt he's fine. But Seth made him a loser even in his best performance.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

Triple H will be the heel VS Big Dave, surely?

Not the way that they set it up and Raw he isn't. HHH was painted as the gallant hero coming to the aid of his pensioner friend, who got viciously sneak attacked on his birthday by his former protege. If HHH ends up as the heel, then I don't think it'll have been the desired intention. 

Not that I'll be cheering against Big Dave, mind you. The man's a fucking Don and he can beat the piss out of Ric Flair all day if he wants, as far as I'm concerned. As Corey Graves would tell us, he's 'James Dean cool'. 

Archived