Smackdown Discussion Thread

Wasn’t the best show ever, but a bazillion times better than Raw.

Everything just seems to make...sense?!

I’m guessing Kofi getting the title shot at Fastlane means he’s not getting the big one at Mania, but I’m pretty stoked anyway.

1 hour ago, The Maestro said:

Wait. There's another PPV before WrestleMania?

There has been for the last four years?

It was obvious that Kofi was getting the Fast Lane match, going off what Supremo says looks like my prediction of Bryan/Wyatt at Mania still has some legs in it. :laugh:

Still, if it is to be someone coming back for the Bryan match at Mania, for me it has to be Cena, let's salvage this Wrestlemania card somehow.

• Paid Members

Yep. Even the lame duck episodes of Smackdown where not a lot happens are still infinitely more enjoyable and easier to watch than Raw. The two hours is a breeze to sit through and the characters are nowhere near as overexposed.  Far from that, "oh for fuck's sake," feeling you always get at around two hours fifteen minutes on Raw, when they usually send out Elias or Jinder, on Smackdown I always find myself surprised at how quickly we reach main event time. Lovely.

All the NXT guys looked better in a tight, loud environment rather than the baggy, overlong silence they performed in front of on Monday. I hope Ciampa didn't injure his knee doing that Sunset Flip. It kills their NXT storyline but I'm more than happy with DIY working main roster matches as the best babyface team in the company.

For a split second I thought they were going to throw a curveball and announce Ricochet as Daniel Bryan's Fastlane opponent. Nearly creamed my pants. Oh well, I guess Kofi is the best option otherwise.

I've no problem with the Asuka finish. They need to build some challengers for her and Mandy Rose has low-key improved more than almost anyone in recent months. She's not spectacular by any means but everything she does is solid and I never feel uncomfortable or embarassed watching her like I do with girls like Sasha and Bayley. I still can't get over how bad Monday's promo was.

For a company that's usually excellent at at hiding empty seats, that wide shot during Jeff Hardy's entrance was genuinely shocking. It legitimately looked like half the arena was tarped off.

Can't wait for Shane to beat up Miz's dad.  

The Usos shouting "woah!" over and over again in a manner where they're seemingly trying to make each other laugh is my jam. Love silly daft stuff like that. 

I love that they're not putting Becky on every show. Not only does it sell the angle and add a sense of unpredictability about when she's going to show up, but we now incredibly have a WWE system where people get more over the less they're featured on TV and the less they wrestle. Becky hasn't had a match since Royal Rumble and is getting more and more over because of it. What a weird state of affairs.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

I really want Shane to turn on Miz. If he must be on the shows, he should be a douchebag like all the other McMahons. Plus Shane getting his redemption against the slimy Miz is no fun. Who cares about that? Turn Shane into a dick. Have him parade that Best in the World trophy like it matters. Have him reprise his training videos for an undeserved shot at the World Champion. Bring back the Posse.

Looked a resonable show in the YouTube highlights. Only thing I didn't like was Andrade facing Black with no build up and losing. He shouldn't lose this much.

Cesaro and Sheamus made Johnny and Tomasso look tiny. Good work from The Bar backstage though. Cesaro looked comfortable for once.

Genuinely forgot Sanity was a thing.

I don't like Mandy Rose. She's no Liv Morgan.

• Paid Members
Just now, Devon Malcolm said:

Why are these new lads on both shows? I'm so glad I only watch the odd PPV, this is all headache-inducing.

In reality, I presume it's to avoid burning through the same old shit that's been dreadful for a year. In kayfabe, I can only come up with it's part of the McMahon's promise to shake things up and as they're not assigned to anyone until the next draft, they can float.

A part of me wondered last night whether the NXT call-ups are less about promoting these guys to the main roster as much as they're about promoting NXT in an effort to sell more Network subscriptions. I mean, I think a bunch of them will be making the full-time switch after 'Mania, but I feel like the rush-job is basically WWE saying, "sign up now and not only will you get Fast Lane and Wrestlemania, you're also going to see these people who are MUCH cooler than half our roster. Please, please sign up. Please". I wouldn't even be surprised if we see more, different guys getting the showcase treatment in the coming weeks, like Dream, Shayna, Sky Pirates or Undisputed Era. I know people here would flip because WWE would be "wasting" their debuts, but WWE nowadays lives on the presumption of the audience's short memory. In their minds, a debut is a drop in the ocean of a career, and when they decide a person is ready to contribute more fully, they'll be confident in their capability to win the audience back over and sell the competitor as legit. Seeing what has happened with with Rollins, Becky, Balor and Kofi in recent months will only strengthen their resolve on this front.

• Paid Members

I found this to be pretty interesting. 

Back in '09, Randy reportedly sabotaged Kofi's initial big push when Kofi forgot to stay down for a punt kick (hence Orton just drilling him with an RKO and having a massive temper tantrum). A decade later and Kofi drops this hidden gem.

Edited by Accident Prone