Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Paid Members

Well, holy shit guys. Kofi Kingston is going to win the WWE title at Wrestlemania and I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT. Genuine goosebumps the moment Kevin Owens walked out and I realised they were switching the PPV main events around. You've got to give it to Vince. He seems to be on the ball better than in ages in terms of reading the crowd and acting upon it. Two or three years ago he'd have ignored the momentum surrounding Kofi in favour of whatever he'd already set his mind on. It's going to be such an amazing moment when Big E and Xavier hoist Kofi onto their shoulders at Mania. Eleven years in the making! I fucking LOVE it.

Fair play to Kevin Owens. That's the best shape I've ever seen him in and he seems a step quicker for it. Can't help but wonder how great he'd look and be if he got rid of the gut entirely though. I can never figure it out. Has he got absolutely horrendous genetics, or can he just not be arsed hitting the gym and eating properly? Imagine that amount of talent in a body that didn't need to be hidden behind a T-shirt! Odds on Sami Zayn costing Owens the Title at Fastlane before joining Bryan's gang of annoying vegan hipsters? It's the role Sami was born to play!

The Hardy Boys reuniting adds to the ever-improving Tag division. I wonder if Matt faked retirement just to get rid of Bray Wyatt? Wouldn't blame him at all. I'd purposely injure myself just get away from him for a few months. Bray's a fucking leech on careers.

Mysterio/Andrade/Truth was a fantastic TV match. That stacked hurricarana was amazing. Rey Mysterio is FORTY FOUR YEARS OLD. Unbelievable.

Charlotte is doing a fantastic job being a dickhead heel. Great promo from her again. Both her and the writers have done such a good job building her up as the true antagonist in all this that she doesn't feel anywhere near the third wheel that she did a few weeks ago. If nothing else, her excellent heel work has clearly worked on Gillian McKeith. Look at the dirty look Gillian gave her as she walked to the ring!

image.png.fcfd05e5492ace7e4ebc9026fc648df2.png

Also, shout out to Charlotte for not giving one single shit that her Dad got murdered last night. What a heel.

Aleister Black is slowly breaking out of the pack as the biggest prospect of the current NXT crew. Ricochet is obviously a can't-miss and Gargano and Ciampa are great, but there's something about the way Black carries himself that really sets him apart. A genuine aura of coolness about him, they just need to stop scripting him to say shit like, "my tattoos tell my story," because he sounds like a right geek. In the ring though? And with that entrance? He looks like an absolute superstar.

It was interesting that Gargano and Ciampa weren't around much on Raw or Smackdown, especially since they'd originally advertised Gargano for Smackdown. Makes me think Triple H kicked off over Sunday Lunch this week, telling Vince to stop fucking with his main event NXT storyline.

That video package they put together of Roman's return, interspersed with clips of him talking about being surrounded by guardian angels, was phenomenal. I nearly burst into tears.

Fun main event closed off a cracking show that absolutely flew by. My only surprise is that they didn't show these brilliant mug shots that were released on Twitter during the show.

image.thumb.png.99b5d216db98ca625dbebc774a0026a6.png

Cool as fuck. Put that centre image on a t-shirt and I bet they'd make shit loads.

Thumbs way up. Smackers is the best.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Shy Dad said:

Just had a thought, particularly bad timing for a well off billionaire to take away something Kofi deserved for someone he believes more fitting of success during Black History Month right? 

Whilst that would be true if the story just ended there, I think we can all see that this is heading to a 'got there in the end' story. Kofi is going to Mania. That said, will they have him AND Seth have big babyface wins??

• Paid Members

The way Mania is shaping up, it honestly feels like an apology for how shit the show was last year. Or maybe an apology for the last quarter of 2018 which consisted of nothing but shit heels getting endless, torturous heat that never went anywhere or got paid off. Sorry for all this shit, fans. Here's your favourites winning all the belts.

The odd man out, incredibly, is probably Seth at this point. He might have been their babyface of the year in 2018 but right now it feels way more important that Becky and Kofi get their Wrestlemania moments. Frankly, after Monday, Seth's been completely overshadowed by Roman. With any luck, they'll just recreate Mania 9. Seth will lose after Heyman throws salt in his eyes and then Roman will immediately avenge him and win the Title from Brock like a proper hero. Perfect.

• Paid Members
Just now, Supremo said:

. With any luck, they'll just recreate Mania 9. Seth will lose after Heyman throws salt in his eyes and then Roman will immediately avenge him and win the Title from Brock like a proper hero. Perfect.

Hot damn. 

Kind goes hand in hand from Mania years back when we were convinced Roman was winning, only for Seth to cash in. 

Would be a hell of a moment. 

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, Supremo said:

With any luck, they'll just recreate Mania 9. Seth will lose after Heyman throws salt in his eyes and then Roman will immediately avenge him and win the Title from Brock like a proper hero. Perfect.

You will be the first to complain when the crowd boos the shit out of that. Even as a huge fan of Roman this whole time, I don't think anyone wants to see him take seth's moment.

Great Smackers again. Charlotte was incredible. The Kofi stuff temporarily annoyed the shit out of me until I realised where it was going. Crap for KO though. But Kofi - yay. Black & Ricochet looked terrific again. Genuinely surprised at the Hardys.

Steph can fuck off though.

• Paid Members

As much as people want to see Kofi win, I think they're setting him up perfectly for a heartbreaking loss, and I'm 100% on-board with that.

I've only seen clips of RAW and Smackdown so far, but fucking hell they just realised it's 'Mania season, didn't they? The difference between this week and every other bit of WWE TV I've seen for months is night and day.

55 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

You will be the first to complain when the crowd boos the shit out of that. Even as a huge fan of Roman this whole time, I don't think anyone wants to see him take seth's moment.

It’s possibly the worst thing they could do to Roman. Becky Lynch has become a massive baby face because her friend screwed her out of having her big moment. If Seth gets beat (cleanly or otherwise) and Roman trots out saying “don’t worry mate, i’ll avenge you”, the only person getting cheered in that scenario is Seth Rollins the next night.

Holding off on Roman getting the Universal belt back straight away is the way to go. Have him say “Yeah I was Champion, but I had to surrender that. Now, I want to earn it back” and build the redemption story that’s there. I’m not saying stick him on Main Event against Bo Dallas or EC3, but you can build that title chase over a number of months by have him maybe work the opener of a PPV one month, then a couple of PPVs with a match in the middle. The Roster shakeup in April will also give some fresh matchups if they move the midcarders around.

That mugshot of Becky is fantastic though, and I think I’ve fallen in love with her a little bit more. Shame ‘dem wans’ can’t suspend their belief a little bit though:

”but mugshots are in colour”

”mugshots arn’t shot with million dollar cameras 😂

“Yeah, “mugshot”, with perfect hair and makeup. Would it have killed them to have had a REAL PD take the pic?”

”wasn’t even Atlanta PD uniforms used in the angle. Pretty sad”

This is probably the best one though - “ Dear WWE, can you please stop the corny crap out now! Stop trying to make Becky Flinched the modern day female Stone Cold. The crap is very corny & lame. Just let her be a normal woman! These bringing back storylines and tweaking them for the wom8are becoming stupid. We had Stone Cold v Vince now it’s Becky v Stephanie & Triple H, Smh. Give us something new already, I’m tired of changing the channel”

7 hours ago, Supremo said:

Fair play to Kevin Owens. That's the best shape I've ever seen him in and he seems a step quicker for it. Can't help but wonder how great he'd look and be if he got rid of the gut entirely though. I can never figure it out. Has he got absolutely horrendous genetics, or can he just not be arsed hitting the gym and eating properly?

He's apparently said he just can't be arsed to hit the gym and eat properly.
At least it looks like he's been hitting the gym a little bit since he's been off if nothing else.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Of course I don't actually think they would or should do that. I bet Vince has thought about it though. It's super crazy how things have turned out. For years they booked Roman vs. Brock when no-one wanted to see it and the one year they go in a different direction is the one year it finally makes sense! 

Plus, it's truly come full-circle. Roman's first Mania main event goes tits up when Daniel Bryan returns and completely overshadows him.  Now Seth's is going the same way. No matter how many dives the poor lad's got planned for the big show he still feels small time now the Cancer Conquerer is here. He's the hero. He's the top guy. Seth just feels like his little brother who's wrongly in his place due to bad admin or something. What a mad scenario they find themselves in. The last problem you ever could've imagined is the day when Roman Reigns is too popular and is making his contemporaries look poxy by contrast. Crazy.

But yeah, the new Daniel Bryan vs. the new Roman Reigns is a dream feud for me now. Purest dynamic possible.

EDIT: Twitter don't waste time. Look at this thing of beauty. It's her Austin 3:16 shirt.

90F6062B-E1F2-4EC9-94D3-40BADED8DF33.thumb.jpeg.b1e4f882a88118b2ba8d909a0642b560.jpeg

Archived