Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Paid Members

The charm of Kofi is the chase. No idea if they can stretch it that long, but remember how they handled Jeff Hardy after the caught on after his Rumble feud with Orton.

New Daniel Bryan has a lot going for him, at the minute. I assume the idea is Bryan's Vegan Army v New Day soon, so they may have some new goon cost Kofi the match. 

• Paid Members

I want Kofi to win. I'm completely bought into the story as a fan rather than analysing it as an armchair booker like I've done for 95% of wrestling since I picked up my first copy of PowerSlam . I want good to triumph over evil. I want to cheer because the hero won, not nod and think "the heel won, great storytelling!". I want that big moment. 

If they could give us that, then have Bryan snatch it away from him on the next Smackdown to really break our hearts though...that'd satisfy the armchair booker side of my brain.

Edited by LaGoosh

There's no point in making him champ.  What are the big singles matchups you can't wait to see that involve Kofi?

He's a fantastic underdog face contender and they can segue this into a long New Day v Vegans Tossers feud and maybe even elevate Big E, but it's madness to really think Kofi would make a good champ.

8 hours ago, Loki said:

There's no point in making him champ.  What are the big singles matchups you can't wait to see that involve Kofi?

He's a fantastic underdog face contender and they can segue this into a long New Day v Vegans Tossers feud and maybe even elevate Big E, but it's madness to really think Kofi would make a good champ.

Not everyone needs to be champ for ages and go through a whole series of "big money matches". There's nothing to stop them going for the big feel good moment at 'mania and then having Bryan win it back at the next opportunity.

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Loki said:

I don't give a shit I just want him to get the big win at Wrestlemania because it'll be awesome. 

• Paid Members

To play Devils Advocate having two belts again means they could, easily, decide to go for a short Kofi run because winning "one of the belts" wouldn't make it as out there as if he were winning THE belt. Which is part of the reason I hate two belts. Swagger, Jinder etc.

In two minds about whether Kofi should win. I agree that all three babyfaces probably aren't going to win but you could easily deflate the crowd if he doesn't now, especially considering they already had him come up short at Elimination Chamber. Even if he does win, it doesn't have to be a long reign so there's no problem there.

Either way, I'm proper into a match with Bryan after that promo on Smackdown. I'm not gonna act like I've been clambouring for Kofi to be champion for years, to be honest I was fine with him getting a title match at Fastlane up until plans changed but it's a proper story and striking when the iron is hot is something WWE so seldom do anymore. The crowd will be so into that match.  

Really good SD in general, with the Styles and Orton feud in particular catching fire too. 

While I’m sure that a Kofi/Bryan match will be very good if they go with it, Kofi lucked into this due to Mustapha Ali’s injury before Elimination Chamber. Now people (not on here necessarily) are saying that he has to win the belt, whereas If Ali hadn’t gone down injured, they wouldn’t have thought twice about doing Kofi/Bryan for the belt at Mania.

If any baby face is losing at Mania though, it’s Seth Rollins. Roman coming back and the subsequent Shield “farewell”  has completely overshadowed the built to his match with Lesnar to the point where I can see it going on quite early in the show

Nope.

Seriously. The overbooking is out of control.

About 500% less interested in the Kofi story now. Like everything, it just feels unnecessarily convoluted.

I’m already annoyed at the gymnastics of logic they’re going to have to perform to get Kofi into the match now.

• Paid Members

Well it wasn't what I hoped it would be at all. Left a bad taste in my mouth. Not only should he not be beating 5 guys on the bounce clean, but to then cheat everyone out of it at the end anyway. Kofi, Orton and Joe look like absolute mugs now for no reason.

As daz said above, Kofi has lost every chance he's had (which Daniel Bryan pointed out on the show too which didn't help) and now he's lost this one too. The amount of fucking about to get him into the match now isn't worth it.

Edited by FelatioLips

• Paid Members

Is anyone else starting to feel that this whole storyline with Kofi has become less about an underdog and instead just makes Vince look like a massive racist? He's just spent over an hour having guys beat Kofi up, when he does everything asked of him, he still can't accept him being the one going to WrestleMania so instead sends someone else out.

Its obvious that this is going to mimic the Bryan "yes movement" protest from a few years ago with a host of WWE stars threatening to go on strike next week unless Kofi gets his Mania match, wouldn't be surprised if this was all tying in to yet another McMahon power struggle storylines as everything Vince has done has been what has been absolutely detested in recent weeks (Kofi, Becky etc).