Ric Flair's Divorce Lawyer

Smackdown Discussion Thread

I reckon/hope Kofi get's the title at Mania, only to drop it to a debuting Velveteen Dream the next night

44 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I reckon/hope Kofi get's the title at Mania, only to drop it to a debuting Velveteen Dream the next night

And then turns heel by claiming the fans never had his back.

In two minds about whether Kofi should win. I agree that all three babyfaces probably aren't going to win but you could easily deflate the crowd if he doesn't now, especially considering they already had him come up short at Elimination Chamber. Even if he does win, it doesn't have to be a long reign so there's no problem there.

Either way, I'm proper into a match with Bryan after that promo on Smackdown. I'm not gonna act like I've been clambouring for Kofi to be champion for years, to be honest I was fine with him getting a title match at Fastlane up until plans changed but it's a proper story and striking when the iron is hot is something WWE so seldom do anymore. The crowd will be so into that match.  

Really good SD in general, with the Styles and Orton feud in particular catching fire too. 

While I’m sure that a Kofi/Bryan match will be very good if they go with it, Kofi lucked into this due to Mustapha Ali’s injury before Elimination Chamber. Now people (not on here necessarily) are saying that he has to win the belt, whereas If Ali hadn’t gone down injured, they wouldn’t have thought twice about doing Kofi/Bryan for the belt at Mania.

If any baby face is losing at Mania though, it’s Seth Rollins. Roman coming back and the subsequent Shield “farewell”  has completely overshadowed the built to his match with Lesnar to the point where I can see it going on quite early in the show

Nope.

Seriously. The overbooking is out of control.

About 500% less interested in the Kofi story now. Like everything, it just feels unnecessarily convoluted.

I’m already annoyed at the gymnastics of logic they’re going to have to perform to get Kofi into the match now.

Well it wasn't what I hoped it would be at all. Left a bad taste in my mouth. Not only should he not be beating 5 guys on the bounce clean, but to then cheat everyone out of it at the end anyway. Kofi, Orton and Joe look like absolute mugs now for no reason.

As daz said above, Kofi has lost every chance he's had (which Daniel Bryan pointed out on the show too which didn't help) and now he's lost this one too. The amount of fucking about to get him into the match now isn't worth it.

Edited by FelatioLips

Is anyone else starting to feel that this whole storyline with Kofi has become less about an underdog and instead just makes Vince look like a massive racist? He's just spent over an hour having guys beat Kofi up, when he does everything asked of him, he still can't accept him being the one going to WrestleMania so instead sends someone else out.

Its obvious that this is going to mimic the Bryan "yes movement" protest from a few years ago with a host of WWE stars threatening to go on strike next week unless Kofi gets his Mania match, wouldn't be surprised if this was all tying in to yet another McMahon power struggle storylines as everything Vince has done has been what has been absolutely detested in recent weeks (Kofi, Becky etc).

Yup, was invested in Kofi going on after the gauntlet...then Vince. I'm burnt out on the overbooking. Stopping myself from doing any sort of analysis, cos it doesn't matter.

Basically Vince giving a big fuck you to everyone. No one comes out of this looking good.

I say this most weeks but how is this the same company from Monday to Tuesday? Smackdown is simple, enhances every story they are telling and doesn't waste a segment.

It's crazy that since they early days of the first brand split in 2002 the fucking Women's Tag Team titles are the ones they book most brilliantly in the parameters of the split. It's insane that they have two World Champions when they are showing here how to book one effectively. Now the Iconics are the most embarrassing workers in the company at (most) points but that doesn't take away from this.

Great promo from The Miz. Liked that he never broke from his mood to acknowledge the crowd or play smiley babyface. Top work from KO as mock talk show host and chief shit-stirrer and then a good brawl. Becky and Charlotte chucking around security because Rondy does is great. Fuck the "jump the shark" crowd, this is still the best thing they have going.

Much better from AJ Styles this week. Laser focussed. Simple stuff from Rey too. Dominic is back! Eddie will be proud.

The gauntlet was terrific. I was waiting for the interference but that's not their bag these days and this told the story well. The backstage scene growing as the match went on was a lovely little touch. It is a bit overbookamania but this whole story has been dragged out to this point so it really doesn't matter. This just added more fuel to Kofi's fire. As long as the pay-off isn't completely lame then this is just creating anticipation from week to week which they have time for. It is a rip off of the Bryan WM30 story somewhat which is a nice irony.

Great stuff.

I enjoyed Smackdown and quite liked the end. It beat the obvious: Kofi Wins scenario hands down.

The only issue I have with it is what Vince McMahon’s motivation is to keep screwing Kofi? As far as I remember he hasn’t stated anything yet, which takes away from the story a little in my eyes.

48 minutes ago, Sym said:

The only issue I have with it is what Vince McMahon’s motivation is to keep screwing Kofi? As far as I remember he hasn’t stated anything yet, which takes away from the story a little in my eyes.

This is what bothers me. Vince had a reason to dislike Austin, Triple H and Stephanie had a reason to dislike Daniel Bryan, this is just "boss denying babyface an opportunity" for no reason other than that it's their default storyline. Even at the last PPV, the announcers were admitting they had no idea why Vince was doing it. Which is fine if it's the storyline, but I don't think that it is.

It's not hard to cobble a motivation together - Kofi's the consummate company man, so have Vince just see him as someone who "never grasped the brass ring", and not deserving enough of the spot, while Big E and Xavier try and convince him that this is Kofi grasping the brass ring. Still doesn't explain why Vince would hate him so much that he'd put him through all this shit, but it's a start.

What's worse is that we've been through this story with Becky/Charlotte, there's a half-decent chance we'll see Baron Corbin swapped out of the Kurt Angle match, and probably other chops and changes I'm forgetting, and we're only a week of TV away from Wrestlemania. Not only does there seem to be no effort to connect the dots to at least explain why they've run the same angle on both shows (some consistency to Vince's motivation would be nice), when was the last time we were this close to Wrestlemania and didn't even know what the WWE Title match was?!

So do we think this will now result in a multi man match at Mania for the WWE title?

Theres still Ali, Andrade and KO without a match then the possibilities of Cena, Sami Zayn, Bray and Luke Harper.

Im a bit gutted we're not getting Andrade/Rey on the big stage but im glad Joe finally gets a pretty high profile singles match. Speaking of which, alot of singles matches this year 

15 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

It's not hard to cobble a motivation together - Kofi's the consummate company man, so have Vince just see him as someone who "never grasped the brass ring", and not deserving enough of the spot, while Big E and Xavier try and convince him that this is Kofi grasping the brass ring. Still doesn't explain why Vince would hate him so much that he'd put him through all this shit, but it's a start.

That's what Vince said last week. Kofi's not that guy. It's a rehash of the Bryan stuff but they have been down that road.

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

That's what Vince said last week. Kofi's not that guy. It's a rehash of the Bryan stuff but they have been down that road.

Ah, fair enough - must have missed that part.

I still have problems with the angle, though, mostly around the timing of it.

I think the absolute pinnacle of the "heel promoter vs. face champion" trope was Austin vs. Dude Love at Over The Edge '98 - they made a point of explaining everything. Vince couldn't just fire Austin because he made him money, so he was resigned to having to work with him, and spent his time trying to break him down into becoming a model employee. He wasn't just fucking with him because he was the baddy.

The big question for me is, if not Kofi, then who? Apologies if I've missed this, but Vince isn't presenting an alternative, the way he chose Charlotte over Becky, is he? So why is Vince McMahon prepared, with only one episode of Smackdown between now and Wrestlemania, to not even have a WWE Title match signed for the biggest show of the year? And why is Daniel Bryan content to go along with it when, if Vince gives the spot to someone other than Kofi, it just means Bryan has less time to prepare for the match?

It might sound like nitpicking, but this is all stuff that can be explained with one line of dialogue, or embedded into the angle in such a way that it makes it all feel more complete and well-rounded. Rather than just "the boss is evil and doesn't want the fans to have what they want" being their only story, like every babyface in the company is playing story mode in the video game and there's only one career path.

Shit. Got to feel for those poor 205 guys. Already busting their arse in an akward spot now they’ve got to follow that.

I’m still not convinced babyface Miz has legs to it but good god that promo! That’s just the perfect starting point for him and the character. Hell yeah. He earned his respect, and it’s great to see it recognised after every clueless fucker spent years shitting on him.