Smackdown Discussion Thread

I hope this is it for Becky Charlotte. Send Charlotte back to Smackers and pick up with Askua desperate to prove she can beat Charlotte. That seemed to be where they were going in the match so they'll likely turn Askua heel I expect

While on Raw I like the idea of Shayna showing up turning on Rousey and feuding with Becky through the spring and summer

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
51 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

It's not without WrestleMania precedent. It isn't quite the same, but Ultimate Warrior sharing his big win with Hulk Hogan at the end of VI comes to mind. And I know they were both babyfaces, but Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit got a "we both won our matches but this is real" hug-it-out at the end of XX. If the vanilla midgets get their curtain call, the women can have one too!

Yeah, I'm not talking about friends celebrating, or a mutual show of respect like Taker/HHH/HBK - I'm talking about specifically Steve Austin at WM14, with DX breaking the storyline and hugging it out with him and others, as they all celebrate how great they all are and the hard work they've all put in. Because they've got the opportunity to absolutely concentrate on Becky Lynch, who's the closest thing to a star they've had in a while - and if they concentrate on her sharing her celebration with one of the people she just beat, it's going to dilute it for no reason.

1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Ultimate Warrior sharing his big win with Hulk Hogan at the end of VI comes to mind.

Wasn't that Hogan doing that?  I heard somewhere that Hogan took the belt and presented it to him even though it wasn't in the script, that way Hogan kept the limelight.  Then again it could have came from Hogan himself so there might be a small part of it that isn't exactly true.

• Paid Members

Hogan did the exact same thing with The Rock. It could be favourably looked upon as the old hand giving the new face his seal of approval, or more cynically as Hulk making sure everyone's still talking about him no matter what the plan was. Rocky did the same thing to Cena, learning from the best.

They could make it work - all four Horsewomen standing in the ring, title belts held aloft, is a powerful image that doesn't rely on them all hugging and partying together. But I have a horrible feeling that Becky's going to win and Stephanie McMahon will barrel out for a round of applause for how historic it was that they main evented, rather than the focus being that Becky won a fight.

But that's been Wrestlemania for years. It's not about satisfying conclusions to logical stories, it's about taking eight hours to book a one minute highlight package.

Man, Angle has fallen hard hasn’t he? Maybe squashing Corbin is the best thing for him now. 

Shane is getting at least half hour at Mania isn’t he? 

Aside from the brilliant Usos moment my favourite thing on SmackDown was Bryan booting in his tv in the locker room. The guy is consistently the bright spot on these shows. Hilarious watching him become everything he despised. He’s clearly one of Vince’s boys, kayfabe or otherwise. Amazing run for him the last few months. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Wasn't that Hogan doing that?  I heard somewhere that Hogan took the belt and presented it to him even though it wasn't in the script, that way Hogan kept the limelight.  Then again it could have came from Hogan himself so there might be a small part of it that isn't exactly true.

Hogan says in his book he went into business for himself to make sure people were watching HIM on his way out instead of the new champ.

8 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

All sense in Asuka beating Becky at the Rumble disappeared with that finish. Why did they have her tap out only for it to mean nothing a couple of months later. Shows this wasn't thought out then.

Said it before and I'll say it again. The likes of Asuka are there to help make the stars, not be the stars.

I'm actually 50/50 on whether I'll book the following Monday off work for Wrestlemania. I think this may be the least I've ever cared about a Wrestlemania.

• Paid Members

The idea of a Horsewomen curtain call genuinely didn’t cross my mind until coming into this thread.

Sasha & Bayley are lucky to be anywhere near the Wrestlemania card, let alone being the closing image of the show.

• Paid Members

Maybe I'm in the minority but I'm really happy they put the belt on Charlotte. If anything, I wish they'd done it sooner. She finally feels like she has a reason to be in the match now, after months of feeling like a shitty third wheel who was only there because she was the, "chosen one." Making it for both belts only adds to the sense of it being the biggest Women's match of all time, too.

Plus, with all the Conor McGregor touches you can see in Becky's act, why not let her raise both belts for her big moment and start referring to herself as the, "Champ Champ"?

e10040098b06980aef22ff98fd90ad9a.gif

Archived