Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess the varied reaction shows there's no pleasing everyone, but I haven't been enjoying it. It brings to mind the corporate version of Wayne's World or when a punk band are convinced to re-record one of their best songs because their new label insist that with a ton of extra gloss and production it could be a huge hit on radio. For me, they've killed the energy. It was cool with Kofi exactly because he kinda lucked into the opportunity. It felt natural, organic and believable. Now it doesn't and they've overcooked it so much that I'm barely even interested in seeing the match anymore. People often say that the WWE Championship has been like a midcard title for years, but I've never really seen it like that. Unfortunately, this has made it feel that way for me and I'm more gutted for Bryan than anything because he should be in a big match this year what with all the stellar work he's been putting in. Oh well. I'm still kinda happy for Kofi to be getting his big moment, and I'll happily watch the New Day doing almost anything because I'm a big fan, but I'm not excited for or invested in the match. What looked like being a tense cup final is now just a testimonial.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, FourtyTwo said:

Quick question that may have already been covered, but is it assumed that the whole Kofi storyline is not what they originally had planned for Bryan at WM?  If it wasn't meant to be this, do we know what the plan was meant to be?

Rumour was Owens 

1 hour ago, Factotum said:

Problem is, Bryan is on absolute fire at the moment. There could be an interesting chase story with Bryan, but then does he just win it straight back?

I really wanted a Bryan V Joe match really and I'm pouting.

You and me both, but I'm old fashioned and think at WM you have to go with your top heel v top face most of the time.  Joe is still a heel, and if I'm honest he should stay a heel as he's too good at it.

If I were booking Smackdown long-term I'd want Miz v Joe as my Summerslam main event over the title, so I'd build to that and use Kofi to get the belt off Bryan and onto Joe.

It's a weird dynamic sometimes. People see a 'natural' progression for someone because they've chosen to support that wrestler and cheered them etc, and moan about them not being pushed. Then when WWE decided to actually listen and focus on those people and push them, it becomes less 'organic' and suddenly some fans decide they're not enjoying it anymore.

It's a ridiculously fine line and I never envy the WWE writers trying to please everyone. Or not, as the case may be.

I suppose, but if you look at the Bryan story line and the Becky one, WWE tend to just overbook when the natural progression is way better. I always think the perfect one was Batista. It was so well done and wasn't overbooked at all. It was a simply storyline V Trips and the crowd got behind him. I get it though, its easy being an armchair quarterback.

• Paid Members

It's too much TV. They have to put something in every week to fill up TV. In the case of Becky, they porbably could have just let her talk every week but even that would have got tiresome to plenty. In Kofi's case, what do you do for 8 weeks? As much as some will say just film some interviews, run some vignettes, package some videos, etc - they can't do that for every single feud so we end up with what we've had for the last 20 years of often 4+ hours of TV per week which is this. It's not new, they've done it time and again. Remember that Randy Orton/HHH feud that reached a peak about 2 months before Mania only for them to bring it down, salvage it and kill it again to the point where no-one gave a shit. Compared to that, this Kofi stuff is GOLD.

True. Instead of a gauntlet though why not have a tournament in those weeks. Have Kofi be beaten down, injured, overcoming the odds etc. That last final match would be white hot atmosphere with him going for the Mania match. Just something different and simple, which keeps me interested and feels like a natural progression. They don't have to cram everything into one week.

I’d have been up for a “Road to WrestleMania” number one contenders tourney to sort the Smackdown title side of things for ‘Mania and secure Kofis spot. Give him the Bret KOTR ‘93 treatment with the toughest route, working through injuries and shenanigans and dusty finishes in the final adding doubt and hope along the way. Use the tournament as the main focus of the show since Fast Lane and use it to set up all the other matches they’ve now set for ‘Mania. Rey eliminates Joe, Joes costs Rey next round, etc. And have Rey/Andrade in the first round just because.

I’m in the camp that was well into the Kofi deal, but this show killed my buzz. Although the video Rick posted did reignite it somewhat. I love the New Day lads and they are making this angle for me. I’d rather without the evil authority holding you down aspect generally and it be more just last chance saloon for Kofi, suddenly realising what he’s capable of and believing in himself now he’s got the opportunity, with E and Xavier being fully behind him, fully supporting him, just like they do in interviews on the subject of Kofi being champion anyway, with no swerves or heel turn wankerey. It’s a New Day, yes it is!

Like others have mentioned, really what I want from this, is for it to be a huge launching pad for Big E. I’ve long thought he’s a megastar waiting to happen and his recent work in this angle has only reinforced that. Plus he’s hilarious and one of my favourite people in the world. I’d love a build to him being the man to dethrone Bryan in the Summer. Again though, I’d rather there be no heel turn and splitting of the group to do it. Kofi has his shot, but falls at the last hurdle. As a result he turns it on to Big E, realising he’s had his day himself and he’s just that little bit too late to take the final step and reach that final goal, having given it everything he had. But gets behind E and encourages him to go for it, making him believe he’s got what it takes to reach the very tippy-top of this business. Keep it feel good even in defeat for Kofi. Power of Positivity baaay-beee!

• Paid Members

I'd assume in place of being during, having Angle vs Styles on WWE is something most fans probably never thought would happen and even with Angle at Robocop speed these days, AJ is the type of guy who could get a great match out of him, they've worked together so many times.

Having Orton come in and cause a DQ when its just getting going or when people wonder who WWE would put over would be a complete burnout, especially as I assume it'll come after whatever convoluted idea WWE has next about the Kofimania storyline.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

If Angle’s popping over to SmackDown can we please get a quick match with Daniel Bryan before Kurt retires please? I’m not aware of them ever having a match anywhere before so it’d be nice to have got it once at least.

They're marketing it as his final match on SmackDown which is a real shame, but I guess with the way Bryan's storyline is going, having him lose the week before Mania to a part time retiring talent isn't going to look great, having him beat Angle will just take the shine a little of Angle at Mania and having any form of DQ from Rowan leading to a New Day save would probably get booed out the building because despite logistics of the answers above, people will complain that they've been robbed of a clear winner. Having him go against AJ, with AJ winning doesn't hurt Angle as AJ is one of the longest reigning champions in history, with a week to sort out building back up some momentum in storyline terms. Its easier to play a loss to AJ too as he's faced Kurt so many times the commentary team can mention how they know each other so well, especially if it ends in a flash pinfall.

I'm giving WWE way too much credit here aren't I?

Archived