UKFF'S TOP 50 FAVORITE TV DRAMAS

LaGoosh

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

I always hear people banging on about the "Western" aspect of Firefly, would someone who likes Westerns but isn't particularly hot on Sci-Fi, barring the obvious like Star Wars (which itself drew hugely from the Western genre) enjoy it?

When I first became a friendless shut-in who lived on the Internet, everyone like me seemed to love Firefly. It was about a year after it had been cancelled and was praised so highly on forums that I tried to watch it once. Didn't like it. Watched the whole of the film, but that was crap as well.

It was about a year after it had been cancelled and was praised so highly on forums that I tried to watch it once. Didn't like it. Watched the whole of the film, but that was crap as well.

The above is pretty much my take on it. I cant get the love for Firefly/Serenity. It just leaves me cold and it's boring which is not a good combination of things.

• Paid Members

Also had the most creative opening credits ever:

I often think Nick Stahl's performance gets overlooked in that show but he is really brilliant. The reluctant messiah is a common role but he takes it to a whole new level. By the end of the second season you really believe that he is a true force of good in this horrible world and that people could follow him against the devil. The scene with the down syndrome girl that Astro mentioned is a perfect example. His performance is very understated but really powerful.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

27)

"I’m stuck with a man who’s a lousy marshal but a good lawman."

justified-raylan-givens.jpg

Justified

Voted number 1? No.

What's it about?

Timothy Olyphant stars in this hit US drama as Raylan Givens, deputy US marshal. A tough, no-nonsense gun-slingin' lawman who would be better of in the old timey Wild West than in modern day Kentucky where he faces off against drug dealers, kidnappers, thieves and murderers.

What do I think?

I like this show. It has a good setting, some good acting, snappy dialogue and they bring in some fantastic guest stars. I really enjoyed season 2 in particular. However the show has no real heart or emotion. Awful things happen to some of the characters but it has no lasting effect on any of them or on the audience, everything just moves swiftly on. There's no heart pounding moments, no tension and no real drama. It's a good show but it needs something extra to be a great show.

What do you think?

"modern day Deadwood. It's a miracle the main character hasn't been shot yet but it's a great series and so well acted by Goggins in particular with Olyphant getting better each series, great bit of eye candy too. Don't quote that!"

Clips!

Edited by LaGoosh

• Moderators
I really enjoyed season 2 in particular. However the show has no real heart or emotion. Awful things happen to some of the characters but it has no lasting effect on any of them or on the audience, everything just moves swiftly on. There's no heart pounding moments, no tension and no real drama. It's a good show but it needs something extra to be a great show.

That's how I feel. I loved it up until Season 2 finished, (in spite of its tendency for boring 'villain of the week' episodes) but it's all so casually executed that there's zero impact or emotional connection. The Elmore Leonard spark in dialogue and character vanished before the first season had ended. Raylan's supposed to be a disconnected dick, I guess, like Tom Cruise's characters are, but if he, or any of the other characters, don't give a shit, why should the audience?

I already made the comparison in this thread to Walker, Texas Ranger, and when that hit me -- when Raylan was fighting with some guy and they were hitting each other with punches that missed by a foot -- I knew it was never going to get better. I acquired all four seasons before sitting down to watch it, and burned through the first 2 seasons at a hell of a clip, but I've had the last 6 episodes sitting there for months, because there's always a dozen things more worthy of my time. From the way people talk it up, I was expecting a Breaking Bad-level show, but it's more akin to a CSI. It's been a severe disappointment.

• Paid Members

I think there were two moments, one from season 2 and one from season 3 that really put me off.

1)

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Raylan's aunt who was basically his substitute mother is brutally murdered. When he visits the crime scene he grimaces a bit and then never mentions it again.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

2)

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Winona's ex-husband is shot dead and left outside her house, she also finds out that her ex-husband tried to have her killed. Her reaction: pretty much unbothered.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();