UKFF'S TOP 50 FAVORITE TV DRAMAS

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
should never have gone over 2 seasons

Agreed. First season was good and I probably preferred the second as the outlay was different- but the third was fucking boring. Main actor is pretty shit really, the psychiatrist (Andrew Lincoln's wife from Walking Dead) is crap as you'd expect, but the likes of T-Bag, Haywire and Abruzzi make this watchable.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

18)

"Ask the real community what they want and they'll tell you loud and clear. Cuff 'em and stuff 'em."

SNE1326P4-6822_1359218a.jpg

The Bill

Voted number 1? No.

What's it about?

"I ain't done nuthin'!" cried many criminal suspects over the course of 2000+ plus episodes of this ITV police drama set in the fictional Sun Hill.

What do you say?

"Burnside and don beech whats not to love about it even if it was a final home for many ex soap stars i was still belting. Oh and reg hollis!"

"I gave up on it in its last year or two as hated the new style they took on with it, but I have a soft spot for the 2000-2007 or so timeframe"

"A tricky one this because in its later years it undoubtedly went to absolute shit but for years, from its initial one hour run to its by-weekly half-hour run, it was consistently excellent and entertaining with some great characters and fantastic episodes."

"before it became more CID this was a brilliant show. Really good tv you can watch at the end of the day with likeable characters like Burnside, Stamp, Tosh and Reg. Remember I used to thank my lucky stars growing up that I didn't live on a rough estate like Sun Hill."

Clips!

Iconic end credits.

• Paid Members

17)

"Well, I've got a diploma. I guess I could make a really useful paper hat out of it..."

Cast.jpg

This Life

Voted number 1? No.

What's it about?

This 90's series is about the lives of 5 twentysomething law graduates embarking upon their careers while sharing a house in south London.This is the final appearance of Andrew Lincoln in this list.

What do you say?

"More 90's than a Global Hypercolour t-shirt but still holds up now. Edgy for the time (drug taking without people ending strung out or dead, gay blokes who weren't stereotypes)."

"Cracking 1990's drama about the lives and loves of trainee/wannabe lawyers in London, following the tales of Miles, Warren, Anna, Egg, Milly and Ferdy

amongst others over the course of the series. Brilliantly scripted and the love between Anna and Miles as well as Milly being a complete bitch to Egg, even though meant to be together, the Cafe, Egg's Dad's novel and banging Anna, as well as drugs in the toilets and Milly Smacking Rachel. As Warren said at the end of the series, 'Outstanding!'"

"This could divide opinion. Watched now, it could seem slightly dated and even cliche. But growing up this is a perfect snap shot of the ninties and there was nothing else like it."

"Referred to as the 'British Friends' at one point, fuck knows why. Excellent British drama, realistic, pretentious and it has Andrew Lincoln and Jack Davenport in it, who are great."

Clips!

"Remember that girl I shagged?"

• Paid Members

Every time I think of "The Bill" these days, I picture Reg Hollis in his changing room frantically slashing his wrists. I was a major fan too especially of the Tosh Lynes and Jim Burnside era.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Hooray, my first nomination to make the list! LaGoosh has already confirmed in previous posts that four of mine won't make it, but the other five surely will.

I don't think it's dated at all. In fact, I only watched it (second series, that is) for the first time a few years ago.

• Moderators
That sig image made me thing, is Jeeves and Wooster considered a sit-com or a drama? What about Auf Wiedersehen Pet? Where exactly do you draw the line between comedy and drama? There's shows like the Wonder Years, Northern Exposure, and Moonlighting that really straddle the fence between the two genres.

I know this is a weird criteria, but generally if something's 30 minutes long, it's a comedy. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any outright sitcoms that went an hour, outside of Christmas specials. The term 'comedy drama' almost always refers to dramas that aren't really funny, like Cold Feet. Like with the 30 minute rule, you probably won't find a 'comedy drama' with a laugh track.

Actually, thinking on it, Only Fools went longer from S6 onwards, and stuff like Birds of a Feather did near the end, but that's more when a show moves into that Special Attraction phase.

• Moderators
Green Wing was an hour long. A long hour.

Oh yeah. There's probably a few, but in terms of these shows like Auf Wedersen Pet, which people find humour in, going an hour is usually a sign they're at least intended to be labelled 'comedy drama', and fall on the drama side of things.

• Paid Members

I rewatched This Life recently. Much as it holds up (and the final scene is still a classic), it was depressing to realise that "the 90s" really has become a thing and that for a kid at university today, a "90s night" is as retro as having a "70s night" when I was a student.

And Rachel really is one of the great drama villains, even though its just being a bit sly and passive aggressive. I genuinely found her scenes painful, but compelling, to watch.

Edited by JNLister

• Paid Members

16)

"Drop your weapons! You are surrounded by armed bastards!"

tv_life_on_mars_2.jpg

Life On Mars

Voted number 1? Yes.

What's it about?

Sam Tyler is a modern day policeman until one day he is hit by a car and he wakes up a policeman in the 1970's. Under the command of the brutal, corrupt and corrupt but extremely popular with viewers, Gene Hunt, Sam has to solve crimes while trying to work out why he is back in the 70's and if he will ever make it back home.

What do you say?

"Season one is boss."

"I think it's already been forgotten just how good this show was. Really well acted, didn't overdose on the comedy, and had an interesting finale rather than the failure that I thought it was going to be."

"absolutely loved this series and so much so I refuse to watch the 80s spinoff. Fantastic original idea and Gene Hunt is up there as one of the best tv characters ever created. Great acting from the highly underrated John Simm with the brilliant choices of music to accompany the action sequences. A joy from start to end."

Clips!