UKFF'S TOP 50 FAVORITE TV DRAMAS

LaGoosh

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members
and the show's MVP, Samson (played by the dwarf in the Twin Peaks dream sequences).

I always thought this reaction shot of Samson, all 0.5 seconds of it, was one of the most powerful pieces of acting I've ever seen.

Really? It just reminds me of this,

Unless you were being sarcastic.

He put the Season 4 DVD on and died of boredom.

:laugh:

Bastard.

I do get some of the criticisms, it can be formulaic at times and its not as developed as something like Breaking Bad. I certainly don't think it's like CSI, as even the 'villain of the week' episodes are used to further the main arcs. The direction, acting and writing is great. I like the format of having main arcs that last only a season at a time. It makes each season rewarding.

That said, I do think each of the main characters get their characters completely and play them perfectly.

It's cartoon, to an extent. Wyn Duffy, Quarles, Boyd, Raylan and the butcher fella are all cartoon characters but I like the characters, and I like the cartoon. Plus, I've got a hard-on for the southern United States.

So yeah, it's great.

You and Astro being berks has killed Elmore Leonard. Really.

You berks.

Amen. Elmore Leonard's characters are just very restrained and cool. Not every series has to be gritty and realistic, or emotional and heart-rending. Justified is mainly just people trying to out-cool each other. That's why it's great. It's also why Out Of Sight and Jackie Brown are great films, they get the vibe of the stories they're based on. Comparing it to Deadwood isn't really accurate for that reason, it's much more like A Sergio Leone style Western with added humour.

It's not in my Top 10 but it's definitely one of the series I most enjoy watching. It's a good antidote to, say, Treme.

• Paid Members

Hey, I said the show was good. I just said it wasn't great.

I think Margo Martindale was fucking brilliant in season 2 though. I think that's probably why season 3 is quite dull for me. No one has been able to match her performance.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

=25

"Gizza job! I can do that!"

blackstuff_001_470x336.jpg

Boys From The Blackstuff

Voted number 1? Yes.

What's it about?

This Liverpudlian drama from the 80's shows through the eyes of 5 unemployed men how the downturn in the economy affected the average man.

What do you say?

"A warm, humorous but ultimately tragic look at the way Thatcherism affected ordinary people. TV’s best representation of the early 1980s and a bittersweet lament to the end of a male, working class British culture in this country."

Clips!

George's last ride.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

=25

"I'm not running away from things, I am running to them. Before they flare and fade forever."

doctor-who-tardis.jpg

Doctor Who

Voted number 1? Yes.

What's it about?

Various actors over 5 decades play the Time Lord, Doctor Who as he explores the universe in his TARDIS. He rights wrongs, saves whole planets and civilisations and fights aliens, monsters, Daleks and Cybermen. Everyone knows what Doctor Who is about!

What do you say?

"Has made me cry on a train."

What does Steven Spielberg say?

"The world would be a poorer place without Doctor Who.

Clips!

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

I love the trailer for the Doctor Who 50th anniversary special. I'm really looking forward to seeing it. I've got tickets for the 50th Celebration convention on Nov 23rd too - the same day as this episode airs!

• Paid Members

The episode where Picard has a second life on a planet nowhere near federation space with a flute type instrument is sincerely one of my favourite episodes of television of all time.

I will (strangely for some) always prefer DS9 in the overall franchise, but TNG is great TV and worthy of the spot it holds in this list

• Paid Members

I rewatched a lot of Star Trek: TNG recently and realised there were far fewer episodes that I really liked than I thought, so I was pretty disappointed. It's probably why I'm putting off rewatching Deep Space Nine.

• Paid Members

Oh my, Captain Picard! I had (have) a thing for Wil Wheaton and Patrick Stewart so TNG was one of my favourites. I loved Q and the Borg. Not to name drop again (clang) but I met Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner last year and almost went to pieces for both. Patrick Stewart could read the phone book and I'd go weak at the knees.

I definitely put my list together too quickly because I'm seeing programmes and keep thinking "Naaw, I forgot about that, I would've voted for that!"

Edited by Monkee