UKFF'S TOP 50 FAVORITE TV DRAMAS

LaGoosh

• Paid Members

"L.I.V E.R.P double O L Liverpool FC"

"CEEEEEEEEEELTIC"

Even Ricky Tomlinson was brilliant in Cracker.

The ongoing sexual tension with Fitz and Panhandle, as well as other over riding arcs throughout the show whilst they take a few eps to solve the murders of a fucking nutter was great.

In our house as i was growing up I was allowed to stay up late for Taggart and Cracker, Taggart went utter shite when Taggart died in real life, Cracker was always epic.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

I'm going on holiday next Friday so wary of time, I'm gonna' start knocking these out fairly quickly.

20)

"How could anyone ever know of the price paid by soldiers in terror, agony and bloodshed if they'd never been to places like Normandy, Bastogne or Haguenau?"

BandOfBrothers.jpg

Band Of Brothers

Voted number 1? Yes.

What's it about?

This mega budget HBO World War 2 miniseries from Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks follows the real life exploits of Easy Company from training all the way to the end of the war.

What do I think?

One of my picks. The final scenes always make me burst into tears. Especially this line:

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

My Grandson said "Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?" I said "No, but Grandpa served in a company of heroes."

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

What do you think?

"With over 300 speaking parts, HBO's Band of Brothers immerses the viewer in the triumphs and tragedies of WWII without losing the individuality of every character portrayed. What makes the 10-part series so powerful is the combination of brilliant acting from the likes of Damien Lewis, Ron Livingston, Scott Grimes and Donnie Wahlberg (to name but a few) and the epic-scale vision of Tom Hanks and Stephen Spielberg, but most of all, that it's all based on true memoirs and recollections of members of "Easy Company" - the Airborne's 506th Regiment.

Hearing the 'real' stories from the men who were there - which is both heart-wrenching and raw even after some 70 years - mixed together with the story of Easy Company through D-Day, the Battle of The Bulge and liberating concentration camps to their arrival at Hitler's Nest in Berchtesgaden, gives some insight into what it was really during those final years of conflict.

Band of Brothers is a history lesson. It may be seen as controversial by some due to the "hoorah"-Americans-coming-to-save-the-day ideology but it just happens to give one side of a million stories. The story is as accurate as possible in the realms of TV while friendships between the actors is genuine - they had to go on a 2-week boot camp prior to filming where they trained in real WWII warfare techniques which was so strict they even had to remain in character the whole time and refer to one another by their adopted names. This bond is so strong that, 12 years after filming, the actors still get together on an annual basis for a Band of Brothers reunion.

I would recommend Band of Brothers to anyone. It's not your typical guns and shouting war series. It has real stories, magnificent acting, fantastic sets and production, and pure emotion. This series cannot be summed up in just a few sentences but it can be reviewed in just one word: brilliant."

"I only want to talk about one thing: the concentration camp episode. It’d been good-buddy fun soldiers series up until that point, and the horror as we realise these guys don’t know what a concentration camp is brought tears to my eyes. Compelling."

"Classic mini series, following Easy Company through training and then behind enemy lines from D-Day, gritty unflinching account of war, stunning on every level. Stuffed full of actors that people never remember were in it, including Michael Fassbender, Stephen Graham, Jamie Bamber, James McAvoy, Marc Warren and Tom Hardy, it oozes class from top to bottom. Best episodes include Carentan and Bastogne, though they are all brilliant."

"A shining example of what to do if you DO get a large budget for a tv series. Epic, shocking, tearful, relentless, realistic, respectful - in all probability war has never been better served on small or large screen. One of those series where, at the end of the episode, you just have to sit there for a minute or two and absorb what just happened. It's really a series of short films more than a tv series. Ground-breaking stuff."

Clips!

Edited by LaGoosh

• Moderators

I've said this many times on here, but though I loved Quantum Leap as a kid, looking back without the rose-tinted lenses, once you take out 3 minutes of sci-fi, you've got an episode of Father Dowling Investigates. "Can Dr. Sam Beckett convince a college athlete to stop taking steroids? While briefly teaching the young Michael Jackson to moonwalk! Can he try really hard to do one thing, while realising just in time (a few minutes before the end credits) that he actually should have been doing something else?"

There were some nice moments, and some clever uses of the leaping, before it got all gimmicky, but it would have better belonged in the Sunday teatime at your nans "School tomorrow :(" slot. It's Highway to Heaven with bluescreen bits.

Ten more that didn't make the cut!

MASH

Fucking MASH!

MASH, Mulburry, Blackadder goes Forth -- some of you need to have a long, hard think about what constitutes a drama. You Rang M'Lord probably cracked the top 10.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members
LaGoosh did you get the picture to Band of Brothers wrong? The Mark from Peep Show in me was convinced the silhouette of their guns was too modern for WW2. :thumbsup:

Yeah I noticed that afterwards. Now changed.

Ten more that didn't make the cut!

The Singing Detective

Bugger! Was thinking that would make it as has had a lot of love over the years on this board

The Singing Detective- Potter/Gambon, blew me away when I first saw it repeated on the BBC late at night compulsive viewing from start to finish It's on youtube and well worth seeking out has a young Joanne Whalley as one of the nurses iirc as well Here's episode one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FrkHK0QMew

As for the rest, Cracker was immense, that Liverpool chant is the bit everyone seems to remember but was class from start to finish caught some of it on ITV 4 iirc recently couldnt tear me away from it!. Band of Brothers used my quote amongst the walls of text

Really varied and interesting list so far

PS. Quantum Leap was great fun, whether it be the Lee Harvey Oswald stuff, deaf dancers, the complicated leap home story or even the monkey in space, or the wrestling one and everything in between. Evil Leaper was shit though! I should really get around to see it again in full, been too long. Bruce Mc Gill is the Bartender in the last episode and is in the first episode as well providing a neat wrap around.

• Paid Members

In one of the Band of Bros write ups it mentions the concentration camp discovery, the episode that got me was where Joe Toye and Bill Guarnere at the battle of the bulge had what happened to them. Christ I was in bits at that.

Fully deserving of its spot, and could so easily be higher in the list.

Better than Saving Private Ryan.

• Paid Members

Uggh....

19)

"He's got the pathway on his body. It leads somewhere. It leads to hell. It's the pathway to hell."

Prison-Break-tv-13.jpg

Prison Break

Voted number 1? No.

What's it about?

A man is sent to prison for a crime he didn't commit. His brother gets himself arrested so he can save his brother and help him escape.

What do I think?

I hate it.

More importantly, what do you think?

"Season one was immense wasnt it? Really immense the other seasons struggled to live up to that and even though by mid-point of s2 you start to detest every fucking character season one is so strong it deserves a place in here."

"Definitely takes a drop in quality as it goes on, but I still really enjoyed it, mainly the first 2 seasons. Good, fast-paced, un-thinking TV drama."

Clips!

should never have gone over 2 seasons and as soon as they made the announcement before season 4 about the reintroduction of a certain character I just knew they were in trouble. Do have a soft spot for series 4 though as it is some of the most bonkers television I have ever seen. Fichtner and Kneper were always watchable throughout though.