UKFF'S TOP 50 FAVORITE TV DRAMAS

LaGoosh

• Awards Moderator

Good to see Boys from the Blackstuff feature much higher than I thought it would do. I had it at number one. By a fucking mile. For me, it's the most important drama of my upbringing. For as much as I became aware of the decline of the city and the circumstances surrounding it through my parents, this was the situation brought to life. I must watch it in full a couple of times a year even now and the impact isn't lost. Fantastically delivered from all involved (and it's so much more than the Yozzer scenes) but more importantly, the writing is still the best I've come across in my life. It's absolutely phenomenal for a television show.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

23)

"By love you mean big lightning bolts to the heart, where you can't eat and you can't work, and you just run off and get married and make babies. The reason you haven't felt it is because it doesn't exist. What you call love was invented by guys like me...to sell nylons."

don-draper-askmen-top-49-most-influential-men-of-2009-500x374.jpg

Mad Men

Voted number 1? No.

What's it about?

The lives of the executives and workers at a New York advertising agency and the changing world of the 1960's.

What do you say?

"another show discovered recently, it's so original and like Life on Mars amazing how society has changed so much in such a short space of time. People who worked as Mad Men are probably still alive today. Also have some catching up to do but it's so slick and stylish just like Don Draper himself. Classy stuff."

"An ice cool trip through a decade of change and social upheaval in the US, seen through the eyes of one of the most fascinating enigmas in television; Don Draper. A methodically paced, twisted reimagining of the American dream."

Clips!

"It's toasted."

• Paid Members

22)

"I drink too much, I smoke too much, I gamble too much. I am too much."

Cracker600.jpg

Cracker

Voted number 1? No.

What's it about?

This mid 90's ITV crime drama stars Robbie Coltrane as classic anti-hero Dr. Fitz, an alcoholic, fould mouthed sarcastic, brilliant criminal psychologist.

What do you say?

"For the 'To be a somebody' storyline more than anything, the rest was solid too, including the noncey new ones in Hong Kong and the comeback years later. Fitz was such a compelling character."

"Robbie Coltrane at it's finest. Nothing more needs to be said."

Clips!

To Be Somebody - FULL EPISODE

• Awards Moderator

I really tried to get into Mad Men, even bought the season 1-3 box set, but I've never got past the halfway point of season 2. There were bits I really liked, but overall it just wasn't for me, I don't think. I might try again one day, but more likely it'll just continue to gather dust on the shelf.

I saw someone had Boy's From The Black Stuff at number one and, after I'd read the following posts, was going to ask if it was Frankie. Thanks for saving me the bother.

Me too! Had it in my top ten but never expected it to make the final list. Great show, full of heart.

• Paid Members
I saw someone had Boy's From The Black Stuff at number one and, after I'd read the following posts, was going to ask if it was Frankie. Thanks for saving me the bother.

Me too! Had it in my top ten but never expected it to make the final list. Great show, full of heart.

I've just started re-watching this actually. Seeing it in the list annoyed me, partly because I neglected to vote for it. Terrible behavior.

• Awards Moderator

Absolutely. I'll not spoil it for anyone who decides to give it a go for the first time, but the Robert Carlyle/Christopher Eccleston scene is one of the most distressing in British TV history. Jimmy Beck's character throughout the episodes became more and more engaging, too, which was perfectly done as a lead up to 'his' episode. There were no weak links in that show. Purely coincidental of course, but it's great to see a Jimmy McGovern show follow an Alan Bleasdale one in the countdown. My two favourite writers who together gave me a good chunk of my top 10.

• Moderators
Absolutely. I'll not spoil it for anyone who decides to give it a go for the first time, but the Robert Carlyle/Christopher Eccleston scene is one of the most distressing in British TV history.

Yeah, don't look at Robert Carlyle's wiki page either as it has a spoiler right on there (I hate it when wikipedia spergs feel the need to that).

• Paid Members

I started watching it fairly recently but stopped after a few episodes for one reason or another. That whole scene, though, is one of the greatest TV scenes I have ever seen. It's absolutely brilliant, absolutely terrifying and superbly acted by everyone involved.

Cracker is fantastic, this has really spurred me into starting back up with it.

• Paid Members

21)

"I can't have a life. All I do is live someone else's life. I right their wrongs, I fight their fights."

627.jpg

Quantum Leap

Voted number 1? No.

What's it about?

Dr. Sam Beckett is a quantum physicist who becomes lost in time following a time travel experiment, temporarily taking the places of other people to right wrongs and help the helpless. He is also followed around by Al, his cigar smoking hologram sidekick. But will he ever be able to get back home?

What do you say?

"Brilliant premise and fondly remembered as being engaging and high quality. The concept was perfect for the format and every episode had new things going on (yet the formula never really changed) Sam and Al were a brilliant double act and maybe it's because I was so young when I watched it but I remember lots of moments of genuine drama and tension in the show."

"A favourite from childhood. Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell are both superb in their roles. Very rarely a bad episode. Loved how you never really knew what to expect. One week he has to stop someone being murdered/raped, the next he has to win a game of pool!"

"Another show that has aged well (if you can forgive the last season or two). Scott Bakula and Dean Stockwell were as good a duo as you could hope for and Sams epci journey to try and get home kept me hooked for the entire run."

Clips!

Quantum Calavicci