Sign in to follow this  
LaGoosh

UKFF'S TOP 50 FAVORITE TV DRAMAS

Yes, nice work LaGoosh, I agree with KP on the pacing of the thread, I thought banging it out quickly worked.

The right show won as well, nothing touches The Wire. Well done UKFF. For those just starting it, you might wonder what the fuss is about after a couple of episodes but give it time and attention and you will be rewarded. I

The only reason The Wire didn't make my number one was that last series, which over-did the allegory bit and mis-used some characters. I found that a bit of a chore to finish. Whereas with Deadwood (my top pick) every episode is a priceless gem, and it's infinitely rewatchable.

I actually think the 2nd series of The Wire was the best, in a way, and I think the reason it got bad reactions was that viewers didn't realise that each series would be a different story arc; they were expecting just more of the first series, and that's not how The Wire works.

The Sopranos is my next re-up, Mrs Loki wants to plough through that before attempting The Wire again.

Great effort LaGoosh, and barring the odd quirk (Dexter?) it's a pretty good top 20 all told.

The only reason The Wire didn't make my number one was that last series, which over-did the allegory bit and mis-used some characters. I found that a bit of a chore to finish. Whereas with Deadwood (my top pick) every episode is a priceless gem, and it's infinitely rewatchable.

I agree on the final season of The Wire, my quote mentions this, but for me it doesn

Honky, have you been watching Treme? It's really sublime, not like The Wire at all in content, but in terms of an incredible grounding in real street life. Incredible music, great rounded characters. Nothing much really happens, but it's the greatest love letter I've ever seen to a city, even more so than The Wire.

Treme is unmistakably fantastic, was around 13 on my list.

Are we all going to post our individual lists?

One show that I love that I don't think got any votes is The Pacific. It's the sequel to Band Of Brothers and almost as good IMO. It's ace.

It's not really a sequel, just made by the same production company. It's ok, not as good as BoB though.

LaGoosh, this has been an awesome thread. Thanks for taking the time to put it all together.

No, I'm waiting to pick up the whole thing on box set. It's due to finish later this year right?

Yeah, last series is only 5 episodes and begins and ends in december

Thanks LaGoosh for putting it all together, it's spurred me on to want to watch The Sopranos and The Wire. Once I've caught up to Breaking Bad that is!

Wish I'd voted now, Cracker would've been my number two, the bit in One day a lemming will fly where Beck, Fitz and the teacher are in the hotel room is some of the finest acting I've ever seen on TV

The Singing Detective would be my number one

No, I'm waiting to pick up the whole thing on box set. It's due to finish later this year right?

Guy, when you do watch Treme I highly recommend you have this blog to hand:

http://www.nola.com/treme-hbo/

It's an episode by episode guide, just explaining all the NO references. The series is so ridiculously steeped in the city, most secondary characters are real people - real musicians, politicians, cooks, playing themselves. Most of the locations are real, all the music is authentic (as are the bands). The cuisine, the sayings, most of the events... it's incredibly dense, and this blog is worth reading after each episode as it lays a lot of it out neatly.

I actually think the 2nd series of The Wire was the best, in a way, and I think the reason it got bad reactions was that viewers didn't realise that each series would be a different story arc; they were expecting just more of the first series, and that's not how The Wire works.

On rewatch the second series was still easily my least favourite. The last series got a bit far fetched at times but I thought it ended brilliantly.

Sign in to follow this