UKFF'S TOP 50 FAVORITE TV DRAMAS

LaGoosh

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved Buffy when I was younger, but haven't had much desire to revisit it in the last 7 or 8 years (though that might have something to do with being sick of it after writing about it for my Media dissertation). It's not exactly compromising the quality of the list when we've already got soaps stinking it up, though.

Edited by Magnum

10 more shows that got votes but didn't make the top 50!

Spooks

Another one of mine,

Spooks- I got into spooks well late in the day after it had been championed by many of my friends. I'm glad I did because it was an excellent tensely written, intelligent drama based on MI-5. Of course the original tag line was MI-5 not 9 to 5, however that didn't define things. In a series where they weren't afraid to kill off principle actors and names, at the seeming drop of a hat, much to the chagrin of those watching and a will they wont they relationship between Harry and Ruth, this had everything going for it. Well worth catching up with, even if it did get a bit silly sometimes. The first two series were epic, and many of the rest was just as gripping.

• Paid Members

=28

"We are not gonna die. You know why? Because we are so... very... pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die. Look at that chiseled jaw!"

firefly-tv-ff28.jpg

Firefly

Voted number 1? No.

What's it about?

From creator of Joss Whedon comes this sci-fi western starring the extremely loveable Nathan Fillion. This show explores the lives of intergalactic smugglers and the various trouble they get in to. It only lasted for one season before being cancelled but it's cult following lead to a movie a few years later.

What do I think?

I didn't vote for it but I love this show. The dialogue is razor sharp and the characters are all very easy to root for. I thought that setting a series in the future and in space but having no aliens or crazy technology was quite a bold move too. Life in the future in this show is just as crappy as life is now. It has a warm heart and some great action. Sometimes it feels like Han Solo: The TV Series. Also Summer Glau is just lovely beyond words.

What do you think?

"Firefly has really loyal fans that are too into it, they're pretty lame but that doesn't mean it wasn't a great series. I liked Firefly a lot, the ensemble cast worked well together and there was the right blend of humour, story and action/drama. As it was set in space and the future there were lots of chances to create a whole world for the series and therefore the series feel quite unique. It was popular enough to spawn a big movie (also good but not as good as the series) to cap the storyline."

"The second of three Whedon shows for me. I loved the tone, the characters, the premise, the whole shiny thing."

"The concept for this was original and totally underestimated. This mix of Wild West meets futuristic was different to the other dramas at that time and hasn't been tried since (perhaps because of Firefly's demise). The characterisation and dry comedic wit running through it made it funny yet emotive. Should never have been cancelled, I would love to have seen what series two might have had in store."

Clips!

The nice opening theme song

Edited by LaGoosh

Rubbish, it's loads of fun. Didn't make my top 10, but my favourite thing Whedon has done, and it's lamentable they didn't make more. It is to tv scifi what Iron Man was to superhero films - a nice dose of fun and humour injected into a format that had started to take itself way too seriously.

I imagine it's hated by the same sort of person who thinks Nolan's Batman is the be all and end all. If you like this, and like Fillion, Castle is a real treat too.

• Awards Moderator

Me! I'm a cretin! Two of my votes have made the list so far, and they were both the Whedon shows. I'm also the one Chest has called out for voting for three Whedon shows. One of my quotes made it onto the Buffy post - as I said there, it was the first programme that really hooked me. A new episode was a must-see event and I loved it for its entire run. I don't know if I'll feel the same if I watch it again; hopefully I'll still enjoy it as much, but it made my list for the dedication I had to it when it was on. Angel got a low-ranking vote from me because there were times I enjoyed it as much or more than Buffy, and they were on one after the other on Sky One for years so it was essentially a split-vote - I never saw them as vastly different entities seeing as one was the spin-off of the other. And I voted for Firefly too for the reasons LaGoosh said.

Whedon as a person annoys me a bit, but he does make lots of stuff I enjoy watching. Sorry. In my defence, I didn't vote for Dollhouse.

• Paid Members

Carinvale is yet another of those on my 'really must get round to watching' list and another I had heaps of episodes recorded when it began being shown on Sky Atlantic, but ended up getting deleted before I started watching properly. Although i'm sure Spartacus and The Wire are great, this is easily the one i'm most intrigued by through its concept.

• Moderators
and the show's MVP, Samson (played by the dwarf in the Twin Peaks dream sequences).

I always thought this reaction shot of Samson, all 0.5 seconds of it, was one of the most powerful pieces of acting I've ever seen.

It's one of those shows where the acting is so faultless, you assume every cast member's going to go on to do amazing things when it's over, but it was such an unconventional, atypically unHollywood cast, that never really happened. Nick Stahl's in the midst of the sort of downfall where he was living on the actual Skid Row at one point, and Samson's IMDB has nothing but leprechaun-type roles post-Carnivale. Another incredible scene I couldn't find on Youtube is where Ben meets the hunchback who's selling his Down's Syndrome daughter on the side of the road.

The upcoming Dracula show on NBC is being showrun by Carnivale's creator, Daniel Knauf, so it'll be interesting to see what that's like, and he wrote a couple of episodes of Spartacus, which was obviously brilliant.

Oh, and he did a couple of super in-depth interviews on the AV Club walking through the first two seasons, and sharing a little of what the proposed seasons 3-6 would have entailed.

Part 1

Part 2 - What might have been

One of the snippets of info in those interviews -- this guy read for Brother Justin:

bruce-campbell04.jpg

Edited by Astro Hollywood

Im going to watch Carnivale thanks to this thread. Its about time.

And Firefly is wonderful. Just a shame its ruined by a lot of stupid fans. Try and look past it and just enjoy the show. Has Chuck been featured in this list yet? I havent been keeping up...