Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

33)

"Jesus Christ! They've done it... They've done it!"

213805-Threads-BBC-1984-Barry-Hines-Mick-Jackson.jpg

Threads

Voted number 1? Yes.

What's it about?

At the height of Cold War paranoia, the BBC aired this post-apocalyptic drama about the Soviets dropping a nuclear warhead over Sheffield.

What do you say?

"Bleak one off portrayal of what would happen if Sheffield was nuked as part of a wider Nuclear war scenario. Switching from the kitchen sink drama of a young couple starting out to coping with the bleak portrayal of the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust. It's stunning, scary and frighteningly realistic."

Clips!

The whole thing (FULL)

Threads gives me the creeps. I've only seen it a few times, but it's shit scary. I would have hated to see it at the time, living near RAF Fairford when the B52's went over for the Gulf War in 1991 was scary enough. I remember having had a 'fall out' drill at school around that time as well.

Threads is a whole different ball game. If you've not seen it, then it's one of those things you must. It's bleak as fuck, genuinely scary in a these are the horrors of nuclear war type way and Vamp nails it with rewatchablity being a good thing. It is a stunning bit of drama though!

Edited by patdfb

• Paid Members

I thought Threads was possibly one of the funniest things I'd ever watched.

I too watched it at school in a large group, and we just ripped the piss out of it start to finish, like shouting 'Les' or 'Zack' when Battersby's or Dingle's actors appeared. Absolutely fell about with the bit with the sheep too.

That childish way of accepting what was being put in front of us has sort of stuck and I can not take it seriously, and strangely neither can my mates.

Threads gives me the creeps. I've only seen it a few times

Only a few times, eh?

Yeah, once when I got it after reading The Day After/Threads article in Empire, once with my then bird who wanted to see it and once with a mate who wanted to see if it was as scary as he remembered from school.