UKFF'S TOP 50 FAVORITE TV DRAMAS

LaGoosh

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

38)

"Here we are again, Lewis. Piecing together the last moments of a total stranger."

tumblr_m5w90v0uxL1r273z6o1_500.jpg

Inspector Morse

Voted number 1? No.

What's it about?

From 1987 to 2000 over 33 episodes the cynical, brilliant, classical music and cross word loving, hard drinking Inspector Morse and his faithful sidekick Sergeant Lewis solve various complex murder cases while quickly downing pints on the go.

What do you say?

"Utterly superb old fashioned murder mystery stuff elevated by gorgeous locations and brilliant acting from John Thaw and Kevin Whately."

Clips!

First episode (FULL)

Edited by LaGoosh

Only 33 episodes over 13 years. Wow. Considering some of the US series in this list will do 22 episodes a year, it gives you an idea of both the gulf in spending on drama, and also the size of the writing teams.

Never really watched Morse, for some reason, so it'll have to go on my Wishlist.

• Paid Members

They took quite a long time to shoot as well because so many of them were shot around the university and they couldn't really shoot them in term time. So they couldn't shoot many more even if they wanted to.

What's it about?

.. This is the first of 3 shows in this list that is incredibly popular despite being pretty shit and awfully written about 75% of the time. However what keeps people tuning in is..

This really shouldn't need to be pointed out but that's not the kind of statement that should ever appear in a synopsis.

• Paid Members

Well this isn't a professional list or anything and I find it's a good enough place for me to chuck any views I have of a show as any. I recall Black2 and Devon Malcolm doing similar in their top 50 games and films lists. I think I'm being quite fair so far, I could have written loads of stuff about how shit Walking Dead is.

If people are finding it to be an issue I will stop.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Actually, I stayed more or less neutral in mine, I think. I did give my opinions later on once the countdown was finished but I thought it was the best way to encourage participation and discussion.

• Paid Members

I really like The Walking Dead, it's brainless but there's a few good moments and characters. Season 3 is especially good, and the episode in Season 1 with the man and his son not being able to shoot his wife is excellent.

• Paid Members

Yeah I remember at the time thinking that the pilot episode for Walking Dead was the best pilot episode I had seen since Lost and was really excited. But after that episode with the latino gang (episode 4 I think) my excitement was pretty much dead.

Just started Series 3, and it's the same blend of good and shit as the last two series.

Good - zombies, horror, bleak setting, zombies. Armoured zombies!

Bad - adding pointless extra problems for them to cope with on top of what's already an interesting enough premise. Oh, she's pregnant. Oh, he's lost his leg. But at the same time they ignore things like - how do they clean all the zombie gore off themselves all the time, without a water supply? How come nobody mentions how much they all stink? Why does the mum insist on treating her son like a disabled retard despite the fact he's much more capable of looking after himself than she is? Where do their bedrolls keep disappearing to, so that they re-appear later?

I think it's the best post-apocalyptic zombie television series currently on tv. But that's not saying much really, is it. It could be so much better.

Yeah, agree with a lot of what has been said about the Walking Dead, terrific pilot episode but quickly went downhill into a slurry of poor dialogue, badly realised characters and frustrating plot. Gave up after the first season but found myself watching season 3 this year which seemed a bit of an improvement, although hardly must see TV. There was that great episode when they came across the black guy from the pilot, but the finale and episodes leading up to it sort of fizzled out. I

I said post-apocalyptic. Hah, in your FACE Bifkin!

I had forgotten about The Returned though :( Definitely on my watchlist.

This things are always a testament to pat's poor taste. Any money he had Knots Landing as well.

Sorry to disappoint, but I didnt include Highway or Dr Quinn: Medicine Woman either :thumbsup:

I'm gutted to have remembered a few things whilst it's been counting down, that would have probably made my list, but no one would have voted for anyway.

Anzacs- Fantastic mini series about the Anzacs in World War One, starring Paul Hogan amongst others. Here's a taster from Episode 3 Well worth seeking out. Most, if not all is on youtube.

The Heroes- Another Aussie Mini series about Operation Jaywick to destroy Japanese boats in Singapore Harbour. It's in bits and pieces but is all on youtube. Here's Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuFjTxbS_Jc

The Heroes II- Following on from the success of Jaywick, Operation Rimau was attempted. This mini series differs slightly from the first because of what happen's to the crew and why. It's also on youtube from the same account as above.

Due South- Diefenbaker! Ray! Leslie Nielsen! Great writing, loved it to bits. Here's a horse chasing a car!

Edited by patdfb