UKFF'S TOP 50 FAVORITE TV DRAMAS

LaGoosh

Only two of my ten have made an appearance so far. Quite encouraging.

I really enjoyed Spartacus. Some great characters in that show and some absolute epic moments (I never use the term epic, so it must have been good). Favourite scene? Face off. Y'all know what I'm talking about.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Yeah, that #1 pick for Spartacus was mine. The irritating thing is, Brooker was right. This is always going to be a hard show to get people into, because you have to start with the caveat of "It's the greatest show ever, but... the first three episodes are very, very silly." But in episode 4, you're left thinking "Hang on. Was it me, or was that actually quite brilliant?" and from thereon out, it's perfect television right up to the final episode. When you read online discussions, I feel like it has the best feedback from actual viewers of any show I've ever seen. It's really rare to see less than gushing praise from someone who's seen it, with none of the "this weeks was shit" or "they jumped the shark when they cut that bloke's cock off," but it's getting people who haven't to look past the sub-300 tits n' gore first three hours to realise.

Another thing that put me off of ever wanting to see this was John Hannah. I always hated him, but holy fuck, Batiatus is an unbelievably great villain. The whole show's built on Shakespearean intrigue and treachery (and cod-archaic dialogue), but Hannah's Batiatus is the quintessential man you love to hate. There really are iconic characters and quotes everywhere you look. If it had been on HBO or AMC (with most people not knowing Starz existed until Spartacus), half the characters would be turning up all over the place forever, on t-shirts, in memes and Top 20 lists on pop-culture websites, and being parodied on comedy shows. I'll make it my mission to cheerlead this show until my dying day, until everyone appreciates how fucking amazing it was.

dustin-clare_a199037_2_jpg_640x480_upscale_q90.jpg

"...Blood rains down from an angry sky. My cock rages on, my cock rages on..."

Also, glad to see this sleazy motherfucker get a mention in the comments.

tTtWVkJ.jpg

• Moderators
Didn't Spartacus originally air on Bravo over here, when that channel was still going? I always thought it looked like utter rubbish, but I can't ignore all these good reviews.

How many series were there in total?

Yeah, it aired on Bravo to start with. There were four seasons in total.

Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Spartacus: Gods of the Arena (a 6 episode mini-series prequel, while Andy Whitfield was undergoing treatment for cancer, before he died and they recast)

Spartacus: Vengeance

Spartacus: War of the Damned

That's a good point about John Hannah, that fucker put me right off. However, I WILL watch this, I've heard too much praise from people whose opinion I respect, and Woy, to not give it my attention.

Hurray!

Oh, and here's John Hannah's Co Op advert, Spartacus style --

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

13)

"I just found out the Times is publishing a poll that says a considerable portion of Americans feel the White House has lost energy and focus. A perception that's not likely to be altered by the video footage of the President riding his bicycle into a tree."

West-Wing-Sheen.jpg

The West Wing

Voted number 1? Yes.

What's it about?

Politics! Martin Sheen stars as the President of the United States. For seven years this show followed the corridors of power in the White House and those who walk them to much critical acclaim.

What do you say?

"The perfect example of ensemble acting. Even though the Jed Bartlett is a towering presence in this series, every actor and character plays its part, and the interweaving of multi-stranded storylines (of which the walk-and-talk is the most obvious device) has never been done better. The West Wing also manages the rare feat of remaining as strong and dramatic as its first season in every of its long run. There really is no "poor" series, and hardly a single episode dips below excellent. Politics can be a hugely dry and serious topic unless you dress it up ala State Of Play, but The West Wing manages to make the everyday business of running a country as exciting a subject as mafioso murder sprees, whilst dealing with exceptionally high-minded topics on a weekly basis. This is one series that I will watch again and again and bask in its richness."

Clips!

• Paid Members

12)

"You'll get yours, ya fat dyke bitch!"

640_prisoner.jpg

Prisoner: Cell Block H

Voted number 1? Yes.

What's it about?

From the creator of Neighbours came this other Australian soap opera. But instead of the friendly faces of Madge, Harold and Cody this one was set in a tough as nails women's prison. Running 8 seasons and 692 episodes, this wasn't your usual soap opera. It featured controversial subjects such as homosexuality, feminism, social reform and power struggles between guards and inmates.

What do you say?

"The show

• Moderators
Do you have to start Spartacus at the start, or can you get away with skipping these first three 'silly' episodes and starting at episode 4?

Nah, start from the beginning. And it's not that they're not entertaining. I kept watching beyond those first few because they're super trashy and a lot of fun. If you like tits and people getting chopped the fuck up, you'll do just fine. Plus, you can't really skip all the plot stuff that happens.

• Awards Moderator
12)

For fuck's sake.

I assumed the Cell Block H love on here was ironic. Guess not. Or maybe this is an elaborate "get Jedi made into an official religion through the census!"-type wacky affectation.

• Paid Members

^ I thought I put it number one as well?

12)

For fuck's sake.

I assumed the Cell Block H love on here was ironic.

Why?