UKFF'S TOP 50 FAVORITE TV DRAMAS

LaGoosh

Do you have to start Spartacus at the start, or can you get away with skipping these first three 'silly' episodes and starting at episode 4?

Watch it from the start. I don't think the first three episodes are even that bad. The first one is fairly boring with the wife stuff, but I don't remember thinking "this was crap until episode four" -- and I'd been conditioned to think that, so I was waiting for a sudden jump in quality. I think it just takes a little while to settle into the show and get invested in the characters, at first it's all gore and tits.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members
12)

Prisoner: Cell Block H

For fuck's sake.

I assumed the Cell Block H love on here was ironic. Guess not. Or maybe this is an elaborate "get Jedi made into an official religion through the census!"-type wacky affectation.

It's a good show Black2. No really it is. Have you seen it?

• Paid Members

I voted West Wing number 1, I don't know if anyone else did.

I am fairly gay for anything Sorkin writes to be honest, but The West Wing really stands out. Great acting from the whole cast and incredibly well written. Season 6 is probably the weakest, they had to adjust after Sorkin left. Bartlett's battle with his MS is treated really well, as is Toby's "Problem". A drama that could make you both laugh and cry in the same episode. For me the best tv drama, that's why I voted it number 1.

• Paid Members
12)

Prisoner: Cell Block H

For fuck's sake.

I assumed the Cell Block H love on here was ironic. Guess not. Or maybe this is an elaborate "get Jedi made into an official religion through the census!"-type wacky affectation.

It's one of those shows that if it was on now, it may be a little ironic, but when it was shown in the mid 80's in the UK (We got it in 87 in the Granada Area), we had been used to he meek and mild aussie shows like Young Doctors, Sons and Daughters, Sullivans etc. This was pretty violent stuff for the time. Women getting there hands flattened and burned in the iron-press, lesbian rape and other funky stuff made it very different and very watchable.

I voted West Wing number 1, I don't know if anyone else did.

I am fairly gay for anything Sorkin writes to be honest, but The West Wing really stands out. Great acting from the whole cast and incredibly well written. Season 6 is probably the weakest, they had to adjust after Sorkin left. Bartlett's battle with his MS is treated really well, as is Toby's "Problem". A drama that could make you both laugh and cry in the same episode. For me the best tv drama, that's why I voted it number 1.

It was in my Top 3 I think. It's sort of been forgotten about in the post-Sopranos tv boom, but this series was the colossus of US tv at the time, justifiably so. It was also strange to see a fictional president who was more popular than the actual president for his entire presidency.

• Paid Members

11)

"Tonight's the night. And it's going to happen again and again. It has to happen."

Dexter-Kill-Suit.jpg

Dexter

Voted number 1? No.

What's it about?

Dexter Morgan is a blood spatter analyst in the Miami Metro Homicide unit with a dark secret. From a young age he has wanted to murder people. To protect him, his father trained him in "The Code"so that Dexter only kills other murderers. In this long running hit series Dexter must balance a personal life and work with his unstoppable need to kill.

What do I say?

When this show is good it's great. However it hasn't been consistently good for years now and they've basically turned the lead character into a complete dumb ass. It's currently in it's last season and it's fucking dreadful. However the first 4 seasons were really good stuff for the most part, season 4 in particular was a roller coaster ride featuring John Lithgow in an incredible guest star performance. A unique premise for a show and while it's gone downhill it's still easy to watch. Jennifer Carpenter is the real MVP of this show though as Dexter's foul mouthed sister Debra.

What do you say?

"A much loved serial killer. A character you can really get behind, even though he really is a vile little man. The people he kills are genuinely worse than he is. Some great guest stars as well - Jimmy Smits, Colin Hanks, Jonny Lee Miller and particularly John Lithgow. That Thanksgiving episode is one of my favourites ever. Jaime Murray was annoying though."

Clips!

"Shut up, cunt."

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Seasons 1-4 of Dexter are great. A couple of the later seasons have started well, but then got shit - namely the one with the culty guy and then the one with Viktor. However both ends of those seasons were disappointing.

I haven't even started watching the new season, but everyone is ragging on it massively.

• Paid Members

The last season is fucking dreadful because nothing is happening. Shit should be kicking off and everything should be going crazy but just nothing is happening. It's all so disjointed, pointless and going nowhere.

And Dexter has turned into a dumbass because the decisions he makes and the way he reacts to things are the way a complete idiot would do. Dexter was always smart and ahead of everyone else in the earlier seasons but now...I think it's more a case of bad writing but he is just a dunce.

• Paid Members

Yeah I started watching Dexter earlier this year and loved the first 4 seasons. They weren't amazing by any stretch but they were entertaining. Season 4 in particular had one of the best villains I've seen in any tv show ever. After season 4 though the entire thing went to shit.

Seasons 6 and 8 in particular are among the worst written things I can think of. Really bad tv. I almost gave up during 6 but slugged it out to the end, only to be rewarded with what season 8 is giving us. I haven't bothered watching the last 3 or 4 episodes of it.

Even at it's best though, Dexter does not deserve to be anywhere near the Top 10. Mad Men is ten times the show this is. Dexter even at it's best is poorly written and hilariously badly acted.

• Moderators

I think you're pretty bang on with your assessment, there.

I heard John Lithgow was amazing in the season where he turned up. However I gave up on this show part way in to season 3 because it became relentlessly silly.

Although it was watchable and fun it's a far shout from having ever been 'great'. It's incredibly camp and soapy at times.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
I think you're pretty bang on with your assessment, there.

I heard John Lithgow was amazing in the season where he turned up. However I gave up on this show part way in to season 3 because it became relentlessly silly.

Although it was watchable and fun it's a far shout from having ever been 'great'. It's incredibly camp and soapy at times.

Aye that's Season 4 and he steals the entire thing from start to finish. He acts everyone else in the show into the ground and pretty much single-handedly makes the Season fantastic. If he wasn't in it, people would be saying "Dexter got shit 3 Seasons in".

Agree with the people saying Dexter is an idiot now. He went from cold, calculated and smart to reckless and idiotic. He's like comedy foil that doesn't know it.