UKFF'S TOP 50 FAVORITE TV DRAMAS

LaGoosh

I watched the first two seasons of Dexter and enjoyed them but, didnt really get the love for it after that. It was watchable but certainly not the best in the world and I'm not bothered about seeing not seeing the rest of them either to be honest. I think the last one I saw was

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Dexter realising that he'd been manipulated by Miguel, somewhere in season 3

I wasn't feeling it any more and haven't watched an episode since.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Awards Moderator

Dexter would be twice the show if it was half the length. If they had 12 episode-seasons everything would be more compact and there'd be less room for stalling the discovery of the bad guy and less room for Deb to whine all over the place dropping C-bombs. Very entertaining show, but could be so much more. Props to TripleA for sticking up for Mad Men.

Re: all the Prisoner Cell Block H stuff up there /\

I've gone back and looked stuff up about it, seen its legion of fans and fansites, and tried to dig into my long-held opinions of it.

Thunderplex, it seems like you that for me it was shown from 1987 in the LWT area. I watched a bit of it and dismissed it as tedious Aussie soap thing like the others you mentioned. For the next few years whenever it was referenced in popular culture or by lazy journos the hammy acting and dreadful sets were mentioned over and over again which added negative layers onto what I already thought about the show. This consolidated my opinion of a shoddy soap.

Without that constant drip-feed of reminder there's a good chance I might've tried it again, especially on it's late night reruns in the mid nineties. As soon as I saw the credits though, I winced and turned it over. Now it sounds like I might've missed out.

Devon, I quoted you as I misinterpreted your response as "why the hell is this so high?" as I thought. Now I see you meant the opposite. Sorry 'bout that.

Given what I believed about the show hopefully you can see why I thought it was ironic love, the same way you might like say, Adam West Batman or Star Wars Holiday Special. Happy to admit I could be wrong about this show now. I'm not rushing to watch it now - I've a stack of things to get through, not least of which made worse (better) by this thread, but I won't dismiss it as quick.

P4JU4CP.jpg

"I want my UKFF back!"

Dexter would be twice the show if it was half the length. If they had 12 episode-seasons everything would be more compact and there'd be less room for stalling the discovery of the bad guy and less room for Deb to whine all over the place dropping C-bombs.

The seasons are 12 episodes a year! Although some years it feels like there are many more than that.

• Awards Moderator
Dexter would be twice the show if it was half the length. If they had 12 episode-seasons everything would be more compact and there'd be less room for stalling the discovery of the bad guy and less room for Deb to whine all over the place dropping C-bombs.

The seasons are 12 episodes a year! Although some years it feels like there are many more than that.

Man, I wish I'd fact-checked that! Could've sworn it was one of those 21 - 23 episode seasons. Shows how much it drags.

Wait, people are being ironic when they love the best version of Batman ever made?

You know the point I'm trying to make. I'm not trying to start a war over some other show now!

Edited by Black2

• Paid Members

10)

"That's the problem with people like you, George. You want results, but you never want to get your hands dirty. I'd start rolling up your sleeves... I'm gonna need a hacksaw."

JackPointsGun.jpg

Voted number 1? Yes.

What's it about?

Over the course of 24 episodes each representing one hour of the day Keifer Sutherland stars as Jack Bauer, a government agent, who has to stop all kinds of heinous terrorist activities and save the world in 24 hours. This show became infamous for it's regular presentation of use of torture on terrorist suspects. Starting in November 2001 in the shadow of 9/11 this shows constant action, never ending tension and plot twists were an instant smash hit. The violent, relentless, determined Jack Bauer is now an iconic TV character.

What do you say?

"This is the series that got me into shit-hot American dramas in the first place. The concept itself is bloody brilliant- a whole series is a real-time day in the life of a US counter terrorist unit. What's more, every episode moves at a hundred miles per hour, more adrenaline than a 1991 illegal warehouse party and a cliffhanger at the end of each episode. You'd think after 8 series they would run out of ideas (some would argue they have), but I personally think that apart from the odd silly storyline here (shit relative introductions, people coming back from the dead and cougars) they have done a tremendous job in keeping you engrossed. I can't remember which series is the best, but possibly 2 or 3. Or maybe 4. It's been a few years since I've seen them so they all blend into one big muddle. Fucking ace show, though. Jack Bauer is the man and unlike the top two shows on my list, he is the big almighty swinging dick in 24 rather than one of many big-time dongs. They're doing another series as well soon, which is brilliant. The 'movie' Redemption was also pretty good- set outside the States for a first (Africa) and had Robert Carlyle in it."

"Whilst it lost it way a bit towards the end, 24 was edge of the seat TV. One of those I missed on TV when it started, so had the pleasure of (quickly) working my way through the first few boxsets."

"Jack bauer killing people. That and chloe looking hot its ace"

"Makes it in on the strength of the first 3 seasons which we, as a family, powered through in incredibly little time. From 4 onwards it diminished, but those first 3 were things of beauty."

Clips!

• Paid Members

More shows that didn't make the top 50!

Sharpe

V

The A Team

Manimal

GBH

Torchwood

Sugar Rush

Quincy

Edge Of Darkness

Damages

Braquo

The Mentalist

Batman

Rome

Rock Follies

Supernatural

The Killing

Smallville

The Take

Supernatural

Didn't know my misses had voted in this :laugh:

I didn't realise we were together.

The first 5 or 6 seasons of Supernatural are great. It's like the X-Files but with one less know-it-all skeptic and more humour. It's a shame it didn't make the list. I thoroughly enjoyed this show.

Edited by Steve Justice

• Paid Members

Rome

This is something I've really wanted to see for years, from the way my brother spoke about it when it aired it sounded amazing, I expected it to be on this list but maybe it's just my brother and this other guy that love it.

Every "shows that didn't make it" list has had one of my picks on it :angry:

• Awards Moderator

GBH

Nowhere near as important as Boys From The Blackstuff, but this was one of mine and an incredible piece of television. And in no way at all did it point at Derek Hatton. Great TV for anyone who's inclined to watch it.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Awards Moderator

Rome

This is something I've really wanted to see for years, from the way my brother spoke about it when it aired it sounded amazing, I expected it to be on this list but maybe it's just my brother and this other guy that love it.

Every "shows that didn't make it" list has had one of my picks on it :angry:

I voted for Rome - plenty of people I know love it, so it's not just me and your brother! It is on UK Netflix if you wanted to see it.