UKFF'S TOP 50 FAVORITE TV DRAMAS

LaGoosh

• Moderators
Boardwalk was my #9 pick, but by the time it ends, I think it'll be regarded as one of the best ever. Every season opens it out further and further, and they're not afraid to go in some really bold, unexpected directions, subverting shit the live-long day like Game of Thrones does.

I loved the first season, but then when starting the second just found myself desperately trying to finish episodes. I got about 3 in and haven't watched any since. I just started to find it immensely boring.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

I'm still watching True Blood, and I'm not really sure why - habit, I think. I don't remember ever dumping a show that I've watched for that long, so I'm going to see it through to the end. It's a step down, though - Sunday night is pizza night in our house, and at one point we were watching Game of Thrones followed by Mad Men - the low point was definitely waiting for anything else to come on along with True Blood, but now it's going to be Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire, and Total Divas.

• Awards Moderator
I have purchased Carnivale and Sparticus seasons 1 today as a direct result of this list.

I purchased downloaded Carnivale too, I've wanted to see it for ages but this thread reminded me about it.

I already bought Band Of Brothers as a result of this list, and I think I'll be getting hold of Spartacus too - is that an HBO one as well? Deadwood and Carnivale have also moved up my 'should really watch this' list.

If I'd known about this I wouldn't have went away for a fucking month.

:angry:

I'm not sure if I could have managed a full list, though. Everything I would have voted seems well represented -

The Wire

Twin Peaks (totally disagree that it being cancelled was a bad thing. The initial run of Lynch episodes (15 or so?) is perfect)

Carnivale

Mad Men

Boys from the Black Stuff (is right, Frankie)

Oz

Who voted for the Returned? Had no idea that anyone here had watched it, we should have a thread. Everyone I know irl is an imbecile so I haven't spoken to anyone about it.

Who voted for the Returned? Had no idea that anyone here had watched it, we should have a thread. Everyone I know irl is an imbecile so I haven't spoken to anyone about it.

Moi.

I put it at 10, in retrospect maybe a bit hastily seeing as at the time of voting the first season hadn't finished, but I have to say I was pretty blown away by it.

Bon homme. It was boss, wasn't it? I got so desperate for discussion that I ended up reading the guardian blogs about it. The comments there were actually really good, though, loads of great theories. SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

The scene outside the Helping Hand genuinely put shivers up me.

Also, Lena's tits.

Looking at my list, you can throw in another (fictitious) vote for the Returned from me. Although I might be forgetting loads of stuff.

Great work, LaGoosh.

• Paid Members
Boardwalk was my #9 pick, but by the time it ends, I think it'll be regarded as one of the best ever. Every season opens it out further and further, and they're not afraid to go in some really bold, unexpected directions, subverting shit the live-long day like Game of Thrones does.

I loved the first season, but then when starting the second just found myself desperately trying to finish episodes. I got about 3 in and haven't watched any since. I just started to find it immensely boring.

Trust me, keep with it. I was exactly the same with the second series but then it gets a lot better- about halfway through the series I think. Series 3 is fucking superb- definitely not boring- from the first episode to the last. You'll be glad you slogged your way through those boring episodes.

• Paid Members

The final shows that got votes but didn't make the top 50!

Luther

Auf Weirdersen Pet

The Chinese Detective

The Prisoner

Maverick

Psych

The Wonder Years

Ashes To Ashes

The OC

Van Der Velk

Columbo

Dream team

Battlestar Galactica

Tales Of The Unexpected

Six Feet Under

Shoestring

The Newsroom

The Twilight Zone

FULL LIST ON PAGE ONE

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

6)

"Good cop and bad cop left for the day. I'm a different kind of cop."

shieldvicshane.jpg

The Shield

Voted number 1? Yes.

What's it about?

Vic Mackey is the leader of Strike team, a four man anti-gang unit in the LAPD. Strike team are a bunch of tough no-nonsense badasses and aren't afraid to get their hands dirty to keep the streets clean. However their hands are dirty in more ways than one. All members of the Strike team are corrupt, involved in drug dealing, blackmail, extortion, murder and robbery. Michael Chiklis stars as "Al Capone with a badge" Mackey along with Walton Goggins in the latter's breakout role.

What do you say?

"One of those shows where you felt you had to watch the next episode as soon as you finished the previous one."

"My favourite TV show ever, every episode felt like watching a good super tense cop movie and I thought it never jumped the shark in 7 series, guest stars like Glenn Close and Forrest Whittaker (most hateable character ever) helped keep it fresh but Vic Mackay was the man and Michael Chicklis carried the show and made you believe a short, pudgy bald guy was the baddest cop in the universe."

"Theres shit that happens in the pilot episode that aint resolved until the last two episodes ever.. Vic is just immenese he really is. The descent of shane is brilliant as well."

"by most critical and creative standards, it's probably not as ambitious or socially resonant as The Wire, but I just enjoy it a lot more. The Wire is a tough, often depressing watch (deliberately so), but The Shield is just great fun. What it lacks in social commentary, it makes up for in visceral thrills and intensity, and it's complex in its own way in tracking the machinations of the Strike Team and their many enemies."

"Not the Dean Ambrose one. A show about bent cops, who you can't help but like. Vic and Shane are such great characters, it doesn't matter how low they stoop, you still like them because they're awesome."

"Continuing my theme of moral ambiguity (I must be a sucker for the bad lads) comes this belter featuring more bent coppers. Vic Mackey is one of the all time great anti-heroes & the additions of Forrest Whitaker and Glenn Close to the latter series gave it some extra weight."

Clips!

Mackey kill count.

I don't think the Shield is the greatest TV series of all time, but the final season, and especially the final episode, are absolutely fantastic. It gains points for this, compared to other shows which have final seasons that don't quite live up to the earlier seasons (The Wire, the Sopranos). But the Shield suffers from too many formulaic "criminal of the week" episodes in mid seasons where the overall story arc is barely advanced at all.

But that's what makes it great. Especially when you compare it to Dexter, who just can't seem to make anyone care about the side stories.

The Shield is mainly about group bent cops, but with so many great characters to use and endless side story possibilities it's strength didn't just come from the shows main focus. I picked this as my number 1, although it isn't the show that gave me as many 'OMG' moments like Lost, or put me on edge like Dexter or entertained me like House. What it is, is a good solid show that remained consistent throughout. What it lacked with the OMG, edge of your seat entertainment, it made up for with great stories, great characters from great actors. Even the season finale was perfect for me

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

He got away with it all, but still paid the price.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

it could not have ended any better.

I'm actually currently on my third viewing of the series, and still love it.