The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I'd give Bray some time off and then have him return as a fiery southern babyface and drop 90% of the cult shit. That one night he wrestled babyface in a tag match he was firing up like a modern day Dusty Rhodes and had the fans going mental. There's real potential for greatness there. His current act isn't good enough.

Bray covering someone and then pointing at their partner without even looking as Roman Reigns speared him was the coolest thing Bray Wyatt has ever done, and one of the most effortlessly cool things anyone on the current roster has ever done. The bloke absolutely has "it" when he needs to, which makes it so bloody infuriating that we just see the same old shit from him every week.

I said it in the Summerslam thread, but it's like they expect us to forget who Bray Wyatt is every few months, and that every one of his feuds exists in microcosm. If you take the Summerslam match, it was built on Bray being unstoppable, and Finn Balor having to become "the Demon" to beat him. Except he's not bloody unstoppable, he loses all the time.

If the character had any purpose, that almost wouldn't matter - conceptually, the gimmick of Bray as an evil genius cult leader doesn't actually need to care about wins and losses, it's a character that can afford to lose the odd match if it's part of a wider narrative. But it never is.

There are 1001 directions you can take the Bray Wyatt character in - from the bonkers fan-fiction nonsense you'll find all over Reddit that takes the idea of him being a literal demon possessing the body of Husky Harris and fleshes out a backstory so absurd that it makes Kane's seem rational, to the lazy "stick him with Bo Dallas/any wrestler with a beard", to a face turn, to revealing whatever his grand master plan has been. Every single one of them would take a modicum of effort and patience, though, so they'd rather just have him use spooky lighting effects and start every feud by calling out a randomly selected babyface and saying, "you're just like all these people, man..."

Hell, I saw someone suggest that they should do a rehash of the "Raven is actually a spoilt rich kid" angle from WCW with him, and at this point, I could get behind that. Have a face say that they're going to expose something that Bray Wyatt doesn't want the world to know, and have him freak out and try and stop them. Imply that it's some deep dark secret, and then have the reveal be a video of the babyface visiting some rich suburban neighbourhood, and revealing that it's where Bray Wyatt grew up, and that his whole act is a fraud. Hell, get meta with it and cast IRS as his dad.

• Paid Members

That they cannot find a way to exploit the talent of Bray Wyatt is the most damning indictment of this writing team. He's an outstanding talker, as is obvious, who has great expressions and mannerisms. He shows great fire working almost as a face or he can run a match as a heel. 

The possibilities are endless with the guy. He could be a Raven style character, he could do the cult leader thing, he could be a southern babyface brawler, he could come into money and become a Jamie Noble meets Ted Dibiase (not forged notes), he could become a hipster, get an undercut and host an IPA of the week segment.

Seriously, the guy is super talented. It's inexcusable that he's in a state of flux. It's not like they're awash with great promos.

Since his brother outed himself as a conspiracy loony on Jericho's podcast and mentioned Bray has the same beliefs, in my head I've been fantasy booking the two of them as a couple of conspiracy theorists who try and prove the likes of Roman and Cena are actually lizards. 

Edited by Slapnut