DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Watched Brian De Palma's new one, Domino, tonight. It's really sad to see how far he's fallen as a director and this is just a really tedious thriller with one good scene near the end. He needs to just pack it in now, he has nothing left to offer, which is painful to admit as a huge fan of his.

Also went to see that Horrible Histories film. Pretty much as you'd expect, Kim Cattrall is still a remarkable looking woman and Craig Roberts is really funny as Nero. By way of an alert to @Frankie Crisp, Kate Nash plays Boudicca so I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip to the cinema to see this kids' film!

I am shocked that The Current War is being panned so heavily as I thought it was a pretty interesting film. Granted, it suffered in developmental hell but there are some decent features, including the always brilliant Michael Shannon. It is time for Benedict Cumberbatch to take a brief sabbatical, however: he is massively over-exposed and is very much typecast in the "offbeat genius" role. If you combine Sherlock Holmes with Doctor Strange, you arrive at Thomas Edison in this film.

• Awards Moderator
On 7/27/2019 at 11:44 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Craig Roberts is really funny as Nero

I thought he was the worst thing in it by a million miles. Dreadful delivery that tombstoned the lines, and he changed accents more times than Sean Connery in The Untouchables.

Other than him the film was a good small-time comedy caper. Lots (and LOTS) of cameos from British comedy. Good Monty Python nods, and Rupert Graves stole the show. 

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

I thought he was the worst thing in it by a million miles. Dreadful delivery that tombstoned the lines, and he changed accents more times than Sean Connery in The Untouchables.

It's Horrible Histories though, it's not like the dialogue was Mametian to begin with. Also, he's Welsh, they just sound like that.

• Paid Members
On 7/25/2019 at 4:52 PM, Scott Malbranque said:

[The Intruder] it's fucking awful, Bellers. Really is. It's fucking atrocious and Quaids' shit eating grin - which can be wonderful - is played to almost parody here.

Fucking hell this film was so stupid, watchably idiotic though. Scotty is being very kind saying the grin was almost played to parody as they do literally have grinning Quaid parody a famous film scene of another nutter, it's ridiculous. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, King of Hamptons said:

What's everyone option of Ready Player One? I've just finished the book.. Will I be disappointed? 

Haven’t read the book, but really liked the movie. I know things had to be changed for copyright reasons, but the quest for the second key was superb in the film

Pushing Tin

I really enjoyed this even though it was a bit long, but I have to say despite High Fidelity being one of my favourite films and him being great in it, I’ve realised that John Cusack is a really bad actor. 

Peak Jolie as well. 

Fist Fight

Angry Ice Cube is one of the greatest things you can witness, and despite a decent cast, this didn’t raise many laughs apart from one scene (the talent show) which I’m afraid to say did get a massive belly laugh from me. 

Varsity Blues

Texas accent Dawson. Awful shit.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Why would you say such hurtful things?  I'm going to sleep with my Grosse Pointe Blank DVD under my pillow now to settle me down.

Going to be a pretty uncomfortable sleep if you put all the other DVDs for films he's been great in under there as well.

20 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Why would you say such hurtful things?  I'm going to sleep with my Grosse Pointe Blank DVD under my pillow now to settle me down.

I know. I’m sorry. I too love Grosse Point Blank, but I just had a moment of clarity watching Pushing Tin and I can’t unthink it. 

• Moderators

I finally got around to watching Mid90s. It was ok, I guess. I would give Jonah another shot if he makes another movie, but I wouldn't really recommend this to anyone.

A few of the music cues were really on the nose in a really shit way that annoyed me.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Awards Moderator
10 hours ago, King of Hamptons said:

What's everyone option of Ready Player One? I've just finished the book.. Will I be disappointed? 

Yes. Treat it as an "inspired by..." and it's a fun, disposable romp. 

• Paid Members

Marianne & Leonard: Words of Love is pretty good. I'm a massive Cohen fan, so a lot of the story they tell feels a little hollow with the details. It turns into them giving you a quick story of Cohen's career with Marianne floating in and out, which seemed a little messy and is definitely not helped by some really clunky and unwelcome narration. However, for me (technique or not), the mess only helped to make the ending all that more poignant and beautiful, as it was incredibly focused and tender. Not a dry eye in the cinema as Leonard delivered a few devastatingly beautiful lines about love, loss and death (what else?).

My biggest criticism is the use of Cohen's music. Cohen's words and music do a better job explaining the story than the filmmakers could manage, but they constantly faded away from the song after a line or two. Even if it wasn't the case, it reeked of them trying to save money over the copyrights, rather than serving the film.

Edited by ColinBollocks

4 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Con Air must be down the back of the sofa 😞

Con Air takes me to my happy place - much amusement doing Cage's accent afterwards. Cusacks's certainly not a bad actor as he's pretty much done it all since his 80s heyday. The films he made with Savage Steve Holland were works of unhinged genius, and then he did Tapeheads and Say Anything. He created some interesting characters in a stock world of jocks, nerds and cheerleaders at the time. He's had nothing if not an interesting career - the 80s teen stuff, then some action things in the 90s, then more arty stuff like Being John Malkovich and the odd interesting performance recently like Grand Piano, The Raven and Maps to the Stars. I wouldn't write him off just yet, but he's not done anything good for about 5 years. I mean, I quite like things like The Bag Man, but it's small beer compared to what he's capable of. He needs a great director to rescue him from lesser fare, otherwise he's just going to end up like Walken and De Niro, taking any old shite available and having money fights at home as the legacy is eroded. 

Edited by Brewster McCloud